GreaseSpot Cafe

Body Worlds

Nottawayfer

Hubby and I went to Denver for a few days to visit his biological family. We went to an exhibit called Body Worlds at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. This is human bodies displayed for educational purposes to show the inner parts of our bodies. There were healthy organs shown, and then ones which were affected with diseases. There was one body donator which was 5 months pregnant. The way they displayed the body was by opening up the uterus to reveal the fetus. It was amazing and weird. I was actually OK until I saw skin on a face with hair and saw the reality that this used to be a live person.

Here's a link if you want to check it out. It's going to be in a few more places in the US. I suggest seeing it.

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp

There was one body donator which was 5 months pregnant. The way they displayed the body was by opening up the uterus to reveal the fetus. It was amazing and weird. I was actually OK until I saw skin on a face with hair and saw the reality that this used to be a live person.

And twi used to condone the murder of such. :(

"They belonged to people who declared during their lifetime that their bodies should be made available after their deaths for the qualification of physicians and the instruction of laypersons. Many donors underscore that by donating their body, they want to be useful to others even after their death."

I wonder if they knew just HOW their bodies would be used.......

Not sure if I'm crazy about the idea.

When I worked for the Medical Examiner, I learned that if you donate your body to science, your estate has to pay to transport your body to whereever they're going to do the research. That comes as quite a shock to most people. I'm not sure who I think should pay for it, but it seems to be a pretty unknown detail.

I saw something similar when I went to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry...back in the 6th grade.

I was fascinated back then...and am fascinated now.

This doesn't seem to be much different than using bodies for college courses in Anatomy...except that it's out there for the general public to see...as if it is 'art'...and not many people are sure if they like such things as 'art'. However, I don't think children see it as 'art', but as a very interesting, quite educating experience.

I dunno...I think things like this are good for folks...especially as far removed from reality as today's society is about such things. Kinda like taking city kids to a farm to see where hamburger, sausage and hot dogs come from..."MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! THEY'RE KILLING BAAAAAAAAAAAAAABY COWS FOR FOOD!"

I am donating my body to science and wouldn't care if that's what they did with it.

It's not like I'm using it. :biglaugh:

Bow, I didn't know that the family had to pay for the transport. I have a friend who's grandmother donated her body and the school paid for the transport. Maybe I just need to get very specific with who it's going to and making sure they pay for all associated costs.

The only thing I want my family to have to pay for is the keg party and roast in my honor. :spy:

"They belonged to people who declared during their lifetime that their bodies should be made available after their deaths for the qualification of physicians and the instruction of laypersons. Many donors underscore that by donating their body, they want to be useful to others even after their death."

I wonder if they knew just HOW their bodies would be used.......

Not sure if I'm crazy about the idea.

We have a Bodyworlds display here in Houston, complete with a person standing up with their skin draped over their arm like a towel that is on all the billboards. From what I've heard, the people specifically donated their bodies to the "artist" that made the Bodyworlds show. I don't think it's science so much as art, at least from how it's presented here. I haven't gone to see it because it sounds disgusting to me, but a friend went and she said it was great.

I am donating my body to science and wouldn't care if that's what they did with it.

It's not like I'm using it.

Belle, I would agree with you. They can take what they want.

Although my husband shudders at the thought!

Most my family has seen it here in Denver, and were awed. MsHAPgenerally shies away from p[otentially icky shows like that, but for this, she was into it and was very happy she went. Not gory at all inher opinion. the bodies are plasticizedand artfully and educationally displayed. Well worth the admission!

~HAP

Both my parents donated their bodies to medical science. We did pay the transportation fee from the funeral home to UNC-Chapel Hill Medical School, less than $200 a piece, if I recall correctly. Much less expensive than a burial! And much more beneficial, imo. I also plan to donate my body.

Suda