GreaseSpot Cafe

Were there any actual Biblical Scholars in TWI?

markomalley

Oakspear had a thread going on down in the doctrinal basement called "PFAL-colored glasses."

From reading that thread, I'm wondering something that those of you with far more time "in" TWI could answer:

How many actual qualified/credentialed scripture scholars, theologians, etc., ever joined TWI? (i.e., those who were scholars prior to their initial encounter with TWI)

Most "mainstream" denominations see some "leakage" between the denominations. There are Baptists who are former Catholic priests. There are Catholic priests who are former Presbyterian ministers. There are Eastern Orthodox who are former Anglicans, etc. There are scholars, formally-trained exegetes, theolgians, philosophers, church historians, and so on, who end up switching from one denomination to another on a not common, but visible basis.

But I don't recall hearing about any of this "leakage" ever occuring in the direction of TWI. The closest I can think of was a former Catholic seminarian who left the trappist seminary in Kentucky and, a few years afterwards, hooked up with TWI. But seminarians don't meet the criteria of "fully trained" theologians, exegetes, etc. So he wouldn't qualify. That's the closest I can think of.

The other example I could think of was Walter Cummins. But I don't know if his university training came before or after he was a Wierwillite.

Otherwise, my mind draws a big blank?

Any of you TWI historians able to help me with my deficient memory (on this topic)?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catcup and ResearchGeek were sent to school by TWI, but I'm not sure to what level. I do remember one or both of them posting about things they found that were contradictory to vee pee's teachings and being shut down, as was Shoenheit.

Not sure of any formal training or education of John or if he just picked it up.

Good question, Mark!

:offtopic:

John S. was booted for writing a paper condemning adultery -- plain and simple.

You can find it HERE.

He did not mishandle the Word, distort it, or bend it to suit his *fancies* as docvic did.

He was fired because he threatened the *big boys'* playground (if you will).

Sorry -- back to topic.

:offtopic:

John S. was booted for writing a paper condemning adultery -- plain and simple.

You can find it HERE.

He did not mishandle the Word, distort it, or bend it to suit his *fancies* as docvic did.

He was fired because he threatened the *big boys'* playground (if you will).

Sorry -- back to topic.

Interesting...so was he trained post-TWI involvement or pre-TWI involvement?

How about Daniel McConaughy?

That's the critical part of the question...not so much who had integrity or not, but when were the people who were Biblical Scholars, theologians, church historians, etc., trained?

The reason why I'm asking is to find out if anybody who actually was fully educated on the subject came into TWI after his/her training?

Mark:

I remember a few ex-ministers who joined twi from other denominations (whose names escape me at the moment). Not sure I ever heard of their seminary training. I know there were some who were "adjunct" faculty who were learned in Greek and/or Aramaic, though their training also was not disclosed. They, for the most part, were forced to dumb down their training as many of the way corps they taught weren't college material and were somewhere in the range of 8th-12th grade in their language / grammar / reading skills. All they could handle were the most basic of course work.

Wayne Clapp at the Indiana Campus (dean for many years) had a Master of something degree and was pursuing a doctorate, but I don't think I recall him actually teaching, just getting his freebee education courtesy of the slave corps.

J.

Mark -- good questions. Valid even. ;)

John Schoenheit was an atheist, turned believer.

I don't know if he had the *schooling* from twi, or if he picked up on it on his own. I suspect the latter.

I've heard his story, but am fuzzy on the details, so I'll refrain from comment.

Daniel McConaughy was in charge of the WCE research department.

He holds a Ph.D from the University of Chicago, specializing in Syriac, Greek, and early Church history. :)

David, I in no way was trying to discredit John. I just never heard anything about him having any formal education and training before or during his TWI years. That was the question and that's what I was trying to answer. :)

I know. Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you. I wasn't. ;)

When I was last involved with the CES group, I heard that John Schoenheit was working on his Doctorate of Divinity degree.

I could be wrong, Garth -- but I think it's Mark G. instead of John S. Mark G. (I know) has been going to Earlam (sp?) for an advanced degree.

From http://www.christianeducational.org/timeline.htm , the following is one of the entries for the year 1993:

“To enhance his ability to serve the Body of Christ, John Schoenheit began working part-time on a Master’s of Divinity at the Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina. His tuition was paid by a supporter. “

From RTS Charlotte’s website ( http://www.rts.edu/site/academics/degree_p...mdiv/index.aspx ):

“A degree from Reformed Theological Seminary indicates that the graduate has completed the requirements for the course of study. Although the M.Div. degree meets the standard educational requirements for ordination in most denominations, the degree does not certify that the graduate necessarily possesses all the biblical qualifications requisite for the ministry or adheres to the Reformed faith. Graduation from Reformed Theological Seminary with either the M.Div. degree or diploma should not in itself be construed as a recommendation for the ministry.

“Ecclesiastical bodies and pulpit committees are responsible for applying their own requirements for ordination to determine the doctrinal soundness, suitability, and readiness for ministry of a particular graduate.”

If the folks at RTS are going to admit Socinian/Unitarian polemicists to the seminary, they need, at the very least, to intensify quite significantly their disclaimer.

Edited by Cynic

I have met several 'scholars' and have been rather shocked at how little they really understood. First of all I guess not one of them even thought any part of the bible is God's Word. I can understand the frustration people have when ministries self destruct. But I got to give Wierwille some credit in how much he hammered that the Word of God is the Will of God. As did Bullinger as did Kenyon. Truth is truth and I do not care who conveys it so long as it is promoted. Most so called biblical theologians have less than 12 semester hours of biblical greek. So what makes a scholar anyway? :eusa_clap:

I have met several 'scholars' and have been rather shocked at how little they really understood. First of all I guess not one of them even thought any part of the bible is God's Word. I can understand the frustration people have when ministries self destruct. But I got to give Wierwille some credit in how much he hammered that the Word of God is the Will of God. As did Bullinger as did Kenyon. Truth is truth and I do not care who conveys it so long as it is promoted. Most so called biblical theologians have less than 12 semester hours of biblical greek. So what makes a scholar anyway? :eusa_clap:

Welcome to gsc...

If the folks at RTS are going to admit Socinian/Unitarian polemicists to the seminary, they need, at the very least, to intensify quite significantly their disclaimer.

Awww, why not just ban them from entering the seminary, ... George Wallace style? You know, standing at the entrance of the college and forbidding them to enter? :nono5:

Really bites you in the foot that there is a Unitarian/Socinian student getting a theology degree from a 'Reformed' (yeah! <_< ) college/university, doesn't it, Cynic? Schoenheit is minding his own business and getting his degree, and here you are getting your panties in a knot about it, ... and they are being polemic?

Yeah, yeah, I know. "There goes the neighborhood!" ... Famous last words, ehh? :wink2:

Ever the laugh-a-minute you are. :biglaugh:

Here's my 2 cents. ------I know there was at least one or possibly two men who left POTIFICAL COLLEGE JOSEPHINIUM to persue training and employment with TWI. PCJ is the only Pontifical college in the U.S.A. and even the western hemisphere for that matter. This means it is a direct extension of the Vatican and as such is under the direct jurisdiction of the Pope. I was never Catholic so feel free to correct me if I stated this incorrectly. This institution has both an undergrad as well as graduate program but I do not know the level of study of the person I made reference to. It would seem to be a huge decision in one's life to leave such a prestigious organization. I don't know if that helps but it's another rock to look under.

I did not find Garth's comment inappropriate, myself.

=========

In other news, on their own website (http://www.pcj.edu/intro/intropage.html)

Pontifical College Josephinum says this:

"ABOUT THE JOSEPHINUM

Founded in 1888, by a German immigrant priest, Msgr. Joseph Jessing, the Pontifical College Josephinum was granted pontifical status in 1892 by Pope Leo XIII, thus becoming, and remaining, the only pontifical seminary in the Western Hemisphere.

Originally founded by Msgr. Jessing, in 1875, as an orphanage, today it educates seminarians from the United States, Asia, Africa and Europe.

Alumni serve the universal Church in 22 foreign countries and 48 states. The Josephinum is comprised of a four-year College of Liberal Arts and a four-year graduate School of Theology.

The Josephinum prepares priests for: U.S. dioceses that do not have their own seminaries; missionary areas of the United States; regions of the U.S. with growing Hispanic communities; and dioceses around the world in need of help with the education of their seminarians."

It's located in Columbus, Ohio, so its mention here is hardly shocking.

I'm not sure about the chain of "who salutes to who" here,

but it doesn't sound like a secret papal training ground or an independent group

not accountable to anyone short of the Vatican.

Not that anyone SAID they were, but the phrasing was peculiar and I wanted to say that outright.

Edited by WordWolf