GreaseSpot Cafe

Mom chapter and verse

Kit Sober

excathedra wrote over on the Charity thread:

charity begins at home

-- mom chap. 1 verse 1

And I was reminded of how precious were the words of mom and how twi, in the cult-drive to drain sense (and some fun non-sense) out of our lives, numbed us out to so much worthwhile stuff.

So this is in honor of those moms (and dads) who loved us and provided their kindness of guidance when (perhaps) we didn't appreciate it.

one from my mom:

"Beware of people who talk about others to you because if they will talk about others to you, they will talk about you to others."

My mom was the person who introduced me to TWI, so its hard for me to know what are her thoughts, and what is really TWI brain. I thought of a couple of things.

"Learn to type. You'll always have a job if you can type." No comment needed.

"Look at this! A candy bush! Mmmmmmm! Taste how sweet this candy is!" I don't remember how old I was when she told me this, at least 5. And I don't remember when I found out that cherry tomatoes weren't really candy. I still love them.

"Don't yell around the baby. It hurts their ears." I wish Craig would have learned this one.

When people acted like we were inferior to them or picked on us, Mama would tell us, "Don't worry about them. Their farts stink too."

When we were pouting about something, "If you want sympathy, you can find it between sh1t and syphillis in the dictionary."

During our teen angst years and we would come home crying because our feelings were hurt terribly, she would sit on the edge of the bed and cry with us, "When you hurt, I hurt."

I love my Mama!! :wub:

One of the things that I remember my mom saying to me was:

"Don't ever criticize your friends on how they raise their kids or you will lose their friendship"

...my mom died in 1972, when I was only 21 years old...she was the most loving Christian woman I have ever known...if your mom is still alive...CHERISH her...tell her that you love her...I sure wish that I could do that today... :(

This could turn out to be a great thread! Thanks for the idea.

I was always a good kid. I usually towed the line and then some, but when I screwed up it was always big time. Then she would say to me "I love you krys - but what the hell were you thinking!"

Until I was a little over 16 I wasn't allowed to date one boy alone - none of my crowd was more or less - so if we were going out for fun, we'd come around and collect each other and then go where we were going. You all remember the lecture...mind your manners, keep your voices down...yadda yadda.... I got that lecture a bit on the stern side but well before my buddies came for me. When we left my house my mom would tell us "have a good time" as she waved us off. Everybody thought I had the coolest mom 'cause everybody heard everybody else's lecture....'cept at my house.

I was a good student so I never had to ask before hand if I could bring somebody home from school to study with. She always had to watch the budget, but she always managed to have some nibbles and something "special" to drink while we did so. I need to add that mine was a stay-at-home mom and when we got to my house she handed each one the phone and made them call home to check in (even if they said their mom knew where they were)

She's gone 17 years now after a pretty good long life and I miss her just as much now as I did earlier. She wasn't highly educated but she knew everything. She was always there if I really needed her and she was a spectacular grandma for our kids - - even if she did cheat with them at go fish and checkers -- not so they'd win - - but so she would!

Hey - Groucho's old man was pretty cool too. At least he never gave us too much grief for the odd smelling smoke coming out of the room while loud Grateful Dead interrupted his footbal games...

One of the things that I remember my mom saying to me was:

"Don't ever criticize your friends on how they raise their kids or you will lose their friendship"

...my mom died in 1972, when I was only 21 years old...she was the most loving Christian woman I have ever known...if your mom is still alive...CHERISH her...tell her that you love her...I sure wish that I could do that today... :(

Groucho

I lost my Mom when I was 17, I agree with you.

Mine also said learn to type you will always find work

And also said if your friends jumped off a bridge...

You made your bed now lie in it.

(I was a teen)

You may hate ne now, but when you are older we will become good friends -- only she died and it never happened...

The only "scripture" I could think of reciting at my Mom's recent service

was that saying she learned from her grandfather, and which she quoted to

my sister and I when we got involved with the Way:

"God help those who help themselves

And God help those

who get caught helping themselves!"

(followed by her usual laugh)

No more appropriate words could have been uttered at that time (lol).

Danny

Two that I like from my mom were and still are, "Don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire.", and "If you think the grass is greener on the other side then climb the fence and see for yourself." She would end that remark by adding "You are welcome back anytime."

My Mom and Dad are still alive and celebrated their 63rd Wedding Anniversary on September 14, 2006. Now isn't that a Wonderful Blessing to have received and achieved? I Thank God for them everyday. :eusa_clap:

Vickles,

My mom gave us that lecture about the clean underwear, but she was concerned about our getting run over by a car and ending up in the hospital.

And clean socks with no holes, in case we needed to take our shoes off for some reason.

She wouldn't have imagined the horrible things the devil had planned for us -- just like I could not have imagined the troubles our children got into.

Hopefully