GreaseSpot Cafe

The Princess Wants to Play French Horn

bowtwi

Annie tells me she wants to play the french horn. She also tells me she's the only french horn player they have and they need her.

Annie has been taking piano lessons for a year. She's taking this next month or two off til the beginning of December, as her piano instructor is the owner of the local music lesson shop, and is doing a gig on a cruise ship to Alaska til December and it's bucks deluxe for him. He's tried to find someone else local to fill in for him for Annie while he's gone, but I said she's not that serious a student to worry about this little bit of time - we'll just wait til he comes back to start over. We really, really like him for her instructor.

I did just buy her a fiddle in June, but they don't offer strings lessons here til middle school.

Annie originally said she wanted to play a sax or a clarinet or a flute the first week they talked band in 5th grade. Now she says she wants to play a french horn.

One concern is that a french horn is almost as big as she is. Besides getting tired of lugging it around, I don't see her staying interested in it for the entire school year. If I thought she would, I would go along with it. I've noticed she already has a big old heavy backpack to carry and her big old binder doesn't fit in the backpack so she's already carrying more than enough...

I'd go so far as to drive her in on band days if she would really play the french horn, but I'm worried this could queer her music experience and I want her to lreally enjoy music... I don't want to put her in something she'll get sick of in two months.

The music store will be glad to sell me a new one outright for around $1900.00 or rent one for $76 a month. That seems mighty expensive to me.

I haven't checked ebay yet, but I think that's my next stop.

Any other suggestions?

My son played French Horn in grade school. He was very small compared to other students in his grade, and he didn't have much trouble carrying it. It is more awkward than a flute or clarinet, but lighter than a saxophone.

I wouldn't buy one until she got serious. As in she's going to play it for the rest of her life. The school loaned my son his french horn. Will her school be able to let her use one of theirs? I'm not sure what's a good price for rental. Now, we rented my daughter's violin until she was in high school. Her rental was only $25 a month, but that was in 1990's prices. Then we bought her a violin, but continued renting one for her to take back and forth to school.

My son didn't continue to play. In fact he only played for that year. I don't think it was the french horn that did him in, but just that he hated practicing. For him, I don't think any instrument would have helped or hindered.

I'm sure whatever decision you make will be great.

Um, yeah, just googled french horn rentals in Milwaukee $15 a month

Hi bowtwi,

It sounds like she might be "instrument-surfing", trying out different instruments to she if she really takes a fancy to any one of them.

I would definitely recommend renting, if the school doesn't provide the instrument. (The school I went to, back in the dark, dim days of the'60s and '70s provided my French Horn. I don't know if schools do that anymore.)

You might also try placing an ad in the paper to see if anyone wants to unload their no-longer-played French Horn.

And, of course, there's eBay.

Sudo plays (or used to play) the French Horn. He might have some ideas.

Wish Annie good luck (yes, I said luck :biglaugh: ) and good success for me. The horn is a beautiful instrument, and has some amazing music written for it.

Bowtwi,

Of course I’m prejudiced but the French horn is a marvelous instrument though its the devil to play. :( I’m posting a pic of myself demonstrating proper posture and handling of the instrument and if you click on the picture of myself, you’ll hear a short excerpt of fine horn playing.

But going back to the proper way to hold and play the French horn I can’t help but think of the Ole Miss co-ed who was dating band members. Her first date was with a trumpet player. When she got back to her dorm her roommate asked her how it went. She replied that it went really well! That trumpet player had nice tight lips that made his kisses the best she had ever experienced.

Her next date was with a tuba player. Again when she got back to her dorm her roommate asked her about the date. She replied that it was “OK” but that the tuba player had really flabby lips and was a lousy kisser. But the best was yet to come!

Her next date was with a French horn player! And sure enough when she got back to the dorm her roommate wanted to know all the details. The co-ed was just beaming. The roommate asked if he was the best kisser of all. The co-ed smiled and said that he kissed OK but my oh my! how she loved the way he held her. :love3:

Click on my picture to hear a short rendition of horn playing.

aei.jpg

sudo

I think the french horn is probably the most difficult of all the brass instruments to play well. It was for me, anyway, but I had two strikes against me with it. The instrument is in a key that is terribly alien to me and I never could quite "get it" when the need to transpose arose and being mostly low brass (tuba, baritone and trombone) the embrochure was quite a challenge, although I played trumpet fairly well.

I played in school, college, the Fort Worth Synphony, the Shrine Circus band, FW Lions club band and a few others...I was "utility brass" meaning I filled in where needed on different instruments, but the most fun and my very favorite was tuba.

Pay no attention to Sudo's blather. He may be a nice guy and everything, but he's way off base here. Probably squeezin them notes out of that tiny mouthpiece in the key of F for so long has affected his judgement. Tubas rule!

Hi bow,

There's one other issue. At least, this happened with me! I had (at the time) enough of an overbite and it interferred with being ABLE to play. (Too much thumb-sucking when I was younger!) Yup! I just couldn't play that instrument, so I played the flute instead.

There are certain instruments where you have to have a good seal around the mouth piece.

Well so much for thumb-sucking! I quit when I was 13! Hahaha

Lifted Up,

Don't think that's Sudo playing. At least it didn't sound like the playing I heard last night before I took his picture. Sure he could play like that at one time though.

Suda

Wow - very cool info! I found what looks like good deals on ebay for around $200. I don't mind paying that and I prefer buying one since the rental for just this school year from the place in Kansas City our school recommends would be over $600 and we don't get to keep the horn! I don't mind paying $200 plus shipping after all.

The princess wears braces and the band instructor said the french horn was more conducive to mouths with braces. (What, he never heard of a flute?) Also, she's got an overjet, not quite an overbite, so I'm hoping it'll work out well.

I had a lot of questions for the band instructor and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Great shot of your french horn, sudo! Suda's got real potential there with your digital camera! Very nice job! What tune were you playing? Somewhere over the rainbow? :dance:

Thanks y'all for your help. I feel better about the whole thing now. She's gonna be her own band if she keeps this up!

She's been working on a gig to sing Me and Bobby McGee and dance to it with a friend for our local talent show in May. They've been working on it the last few days - what a hoot! Hearing THOSE words out of MY BABY. LOL (But Id trade all of my tomorrows for one single yesterday - to be holdin Bobbys body next to mine.) YIKES!

Maybe I can convince them to sing Mercedes Benz? :confused:

Lifted Up,

Suda was telling it straight. I can't play a lick any more even though I was the first chair French horn for three of my four years at Ole Miss. Yeah, I could wail on that thing at one time but like Ron sez.. its a tough instrument and not one you can put down and just start playing again after several years like you can, say, a sax.

Actually, it was my scholarship through Ole Miss. Being in not only the band but the orchestra (extra scholarship money for both) paid ALL of my out-of-state tuition and some one the other as well. I came to look at it as my job. Time to go to work was my attitude when it was orchestra or band practice.

sudo

• 2 weeks later...

I had found a french horn I was watching on ebay, thinking I might bid on it, after watching and studying for a week or so. I intended to go back there tonite after Annie goes to bed, but a funny thing happened today.

I took her in after school for an audition to sing with the middle school choir for a special do they have going next month and it's been built up to be an awesome opportunity. She asked me to come in with her during this audition, which was held in the band room.

The band instructor was there, saw Annie "passed" the audition and joined the choir instructor and me in conversation. He asked me if I had gotten ahold of a french horn yet or if I would like to borrow "one of theirs." I about fainted. He said he couldn't see me buying or renting one at those prices ($76 a month!) when she may not be interested in the horn next year.

No rent. No purchase. A simple loan. Thank you GOD!

post-305-1160529998_thumb.jpg

Hey! I sure think so! :redface2:

It filled me with awe to hear her audition - this wasn't me asking her to sing for me or for someone, which I used to do when she was little. She melted my heart and she looked so big and strong and it just made me blubber (I'm all teary just thinking back on it now even).

It's so fun being her mom!