GreaseSpot Cafe

Coffee... not just any coffee... GOOD COFFEE

ChasUFarley

A fresh cup from a fresh bag of Peet's is the best there is. I let Peet do the grinding because I don't have the time or inclination. I have noticed that the first few pots out of a fresh bag are better than last even though I try to seal the bag up tight.

Geo, I add a dash of really good Vanilla (not cheap imitation crap) and a pinch of kosher salt to mine and it is THE BEST regardless of how cheap it is. :) Maybe if you try that it'll taste as good as it smells?

They always ask me to prepare the grounds in the office because I seem to have found the balance. I don't mind cause then it means I don't have to go get the water and I'm lazy that way. :biglaugh:

A fresh cup from a fresh bag of Peet's is the best there is. I let Peet do the grinding because I don't have the time or inclination. I have noticed that the first few pots out of a fresh bag are better than last even though I try to seal the bag up tight.

I keep mine in the freezer in two layers of zip lock bags. It's good from beginning to end. :)

Many years ago I worked at a temp. job in a facility that received and processed coffee beans.

The beans arrived from coastal ports via box cars and semi trucks.

They were shipped in a raw or "green" stage. They were contained in burlap sacks that weighed ,if I remember correctly,135#. We worked in pairs to unload them. Each team,which consisted of 2 unloaders and a forklift driver,had to unload one box car or two semis per shift. Each unloader was issued a pair of baling hooks at the start of the shift and we swung bags onto pallets in a uniform rhythm until our shift was up. The baling hooks make leather gloves a neccessity.

From there the beans(which looked much like soy beans) were put through a mass production process

of roasting and grinding. The longer they roasted, the more oil was forced from the bean and hence a darker,richer roast. This phase was very highly controlled and subject to constant re-"tweeking" so it is hard for me to understand why someone would want to attempt it at home.

Perhaps the truly discerning palate can tell the difference,but I suspect much of the hoopla is hyped much like the idea that "sweet corn must be eaten the same day it is picked".That's another funny story for yet another time.

As for me: I like it hot,black,strong and freshly brewed.(and shared with good friends.)

Okay, I did a little scooting around on the net for fun to see what I could find about this - there's some cool info, I'll share that soon, but this was rather.... er.... interesting....

natural1.jpg

I thought this was a joke (from http://www.animalcoffee.com/natural-luwak/) :

Natural Luwak Coffee is kopi luwak as it is collected, with no additional processing. The beans are hand collected from where they lay on the jungle floor, bagged, and then sent to Animalcoffee where they are eventually turned into the world’s most exclusive gourmet beverage.

The individual beans are naturally glued together in the stomach of the Luwak, there is no artificial adhesive involved, yet Luwak Coffee collected in this fashion appears remarkably clean and is completely odour free.

Depending on where the Luwak Coffee/ kopi luwak is collected, there may be a predominance of either Arabica or Robusta grown which ensures the Luwak Coffee is of a particular type. Alternatively both Arabica and Robusta may be grown within close proximity of each other, as is the practice in some areas of west Sumatra, in which case both kinds of coffee cherry are eaten by the Luwak and the resulting Luwak Coffee/ kopi luwak is a blend of coffee created naturally in the stomach of the Luwak.

OMG! Is this for real? :blink:

oh man!!! Now how am I going to enjoy a good hot cup of java in the morning! :blink:

I'm a big Starbucks fan. We buy their beans and grind them at home. Because they are soooooo expensive I buy a cheaper bean as well, and mix them together.

I have found the coffee tasts best when the pot is about half way through brewing. :) yuummmmmm

Belle, I'm going to try the vanilla thing, sounds great. I'm a little hesitant about the salt part, but who knows, I might try that too.

Yeah, that luwak coffee is real. I just wonder about the first cup of luwak coffee. Who would think of getting coffee beans from animal poo? Who would want to?

I heard its really expensive.

I've heard buzz lately of people buying and roasting their own coffee beans....

Anyone here do that? Or knows anyone who does?

I'm asking because it sounds so heavenly - it's something I'd love to try...

I'm a big fan of good coffee also, but I'm way too lazy to roast the beans too. :biglaugh:

Man, Chas, I never even heard of a luwak till today. :blink: Can't say I'm gonna put that at the top of my "to do" list....but it is very interesting.

Shellon, yes, I put it on the grounds. I put the grounds in the filter first, then add the vanilla on top and just a small pinch of salt. Sometimes I add a sprinkle or two of cinnamon, too. We use the Saigon Cinnamon at work and that's what I use at home too, but I'm a snob that way. :redface2: Just plain ole normal cinnamon works just as well.

I am very spoiled when it comes to coffee...I buy this brand from Amsterdam called Dowe Egberts...the gold package is called Excellence and that my friends it is!

When all else fails, there's always a hot cup of Community Dark Roast. Absolutely the best coffee in my humble opinion!

Now over here in the PX we have this German brand called Tchibo (don't ask me how to prounce it :( )...but it's pretty good too.

BTW, I've stopped drinking it in the mornings...I just turn on the IV at approx 40-60 drops/min and that seems to wake me up

Never grind my own...too lazy...thus, the IV, huh?

Have a good one y'all :wave:

:offtopic: ...and for all you football fans..."Roll Tide...and take that elephant with ya"...LOL

I'll go back to work now! :rolleyes:

:redface2: Lifted, I did not realize I did that!! :o I'm going right now to wash my mouth out with soap!

Belle, just giving you a hard time. I know a lot of GSers will go to great lengths to avoid "wayspeak" terms...presumably non standard or non common terminology particular to TWI talk...that when TWI speech is "normal"...they will make up their own special terminology to avoid the normal...such as Wordwolf's special "5 x 3" cards instead of the normal (and in TWI ) usage of "3 x 5".

Among all the coffee lovers (no one dare say addicts) I spend time around, I know of none who do their own roasting. If someone learns of an effective technique, maybe they could write it down on a 5 x 3 card :) and send it out.

However, I dont remember anyone complaining to me about their coffee at Emporia, like it would have done any good.

OK -- Who is Peet???

Here in Minney-soda we have Starbucks, Arco, Caribou Coffee, and other sundry brands.

Starbucks French Roast is my favorite -- but I'm open to *instruction in righteousness*!

Let them do the work. All I want to do is put in the coffee-maker, and add water. :)

(Ps. --- I take all coffee I buy OUT of the original container, and put it in a glass jar

with a *screw down cap*, to keep it fresh. Next best thing to freezing it.) :)