GreaseSpot Cafe

10 or more

likeaneagle

Have not gotten anything and we are just 50 miles North of Chicago.......it sure is cold compared to the last 4 days of 55/60 degree weather. But needless to say we are prepared. :)

I'm in Milwaukee, and we haven't gotten anything either. We were listening to the weather channel all day at work, and they kept calling for more snow as the day wore on. Ugh! I can't stand snow. I hate shoveling, I hate driving in it, but most of all, I hate when people come over, and track snow all over my carpet! Grrr! I do like the cold though, and all the things that come with cold weather, like hot chocolate, and warm sweaters.

People were laughing at me today at work, I wore long sleeves because it was 75. I told some that dont know me, Im from Chicago, I should be wearing a Muskrat fur by now..:)

Im miss snow around the holidays, altho, Im still within the area where it does snow. If they get 3 " the companys and schools close because of emergency hazard road conditions, oh geesh, but ifwe get a Noreaster, that usualy is trouble.

Put some corn pellets in your corn stoves(best heat source around)

Bill, get out your snow mobile suit, and you have 2 houses to care for,wow,take good care of your mom:)..your smack center in the path.

Edited by likeaneagle

Last time I lived where it snows was 81-82 as a WoW in Fremont OH... it was a dark and stormy... winter. Lot's of snow. I do NOT miss it.

I was born where there's usually an abundance of snow in winter (Roch NY), left there for the desert when I was 13 (with family)... when I was younger, I thought about missing the snow... but that winter in OH cured me of that forever! Who says WoW years weren't healing... ;)

Edited by Rocky

Rocky- 4 years ago I flew to Pheonix to have Christmas with my daughter...It was so weird to sit on her patio looking at lemon and orange trees....It wasnt right..then we drove to San Diego and visted the San Diego Wildlife Park, and there was a "Winter Festival" event set up, those folks came in boots,parkas,mittens, just to go sledding on a man made hill no taller tha my house..it was hysterical..

I do not miss snow enough to move back:)

Im homesick alittle.

I'm in Milwaukee, and we haven't gotten anything either. We were listening to the weather channel all day at work, and they kept calling for more snow as the day wore on. Ugh! I can't stand snow. I hate shoveling, I hate driving in it, but most of all, I hate when people come over, and track snow all over my carpet! Grrr! I do like the cold though, and all the things that come with cold weather, like hot chocolate, and warm sweaters.

Vegan!!! Why in the heck do you live in Milwaukee then??? doesn't Wisconsinin get lots of snow?

Ca. dreaming - you're 50 miles north of Chicago? No wonder you're Ca. dreaming. I grew up in Milwaukee - they get real winter there!

Andrew's fart machine - yeah, what more COULD anyone want when snowed in?

Oh yeah, and school's already been called off for tomorrow, here near Liberty, MO (about 30 miles north of Kansas City, MO)! We're totally covered in sheet ice. Ice everywhere.

Edited by bowtwi

We're getting just the cold up here in Minney-soda -- no snow at all. :(

It's 5 degrees outside, and there's no snow even predicted for us.

Looks like the south shore of Lake Superior might be getting some though,

over in Wisconsin and the upper peninsula of Michigan (lucky people!!)

Vegan -- you don't know what you're missing!!

Nothing is much more fun in the wintertime, than firing up the 4-wheel drive truck,

having a thermos of coffee (or hot chocolate), good tunes in the CD player,

and late night drives through the countryside -- BEFORE the snow plows come through!!

:dance:

8 to 12 inches of snow is perfect. The truck is high enough off of the ground to clear it,

and there's little chance of getting stuck on the pristine snow-covered roads stretching ahead of you.

It's an enchanting and exhilarating time to be out having fun.

Especially if the Northern Lights are shining in the sky at the same time. :)

I put up with the shoveling part, because the rest is so enjoyable.

Edited by dmiller

No school or work today or tomorrow; everything's locked in sheet ice. As of this evening, there are several inches of snow on top of it. It's pretty out there.

Tomorrow, we'll go out and make a snowman.

I have a carrot.

:wave:

Nika -- ughhhhh!! Ice is NO fun. :(

Hey -- if you didn't have a carrot handy, you could rip off the cover of the Orange Book,

roll that into a cone, and use it instead.

:biglaugh:

It's HERE, so quiet and white and windy. No school today, no work for me. My boys will be all over and in it when they get up. So I'll enjoy the quiet now with my cappacino and toasty warm slippers and read. :)

Vegan!!! Why in the heck do you live in Milwaukee then??? doesn't Wisconsinin get lots of snow?

Yeah, we usually get tons of snow. It starts with a dusting in October, and I've seen snow here in May. But I stay here for a Dzn reasons, all of them Drty. But in his defense, before we got married, he did ask me where I wanted to live. I told him where ever he wanted. The things we do for love, hey?

We sure got snow last night, and its still coming. Bowtwi, they closed ALL the schools in Milwaukee county, and I'm sure you remember, they never do that. Kenosha and Racine are suppose to get over a foot. We won't get that much, and its suppose to stop by noon. I'm scheduled off from work on Fridays, so I don't have to go out in this.

DMiller, maybe if I was in the country, in a 4 wheeler, I'd love the snow. But trying to navigate these narrow Milwaukee streets with snow packed on the sides to make them even narrower, in my little Saturn, and add to that people on their way to the malls, trying to finish their holiday shopping, not paying attention, well, its no fun for me.

The dog is loving the snow though. He thinks its manna from heaven, and runs around the yard eating it up. Maybe I should teach him to eat the snow on our sidewalk. No more shoveling.

Two weeks ago, we received 35 inches of nice dry snow in five days. Then it cleared up and we had 10 days of crystal clear weather in the minus single digits at night, and above zero in the single digits all day. At night, there were at least seven different Northern Lights displays. Then it warmed up and we just finished getting another 18 inches of snow, ending yesterday. The City is still working hard to plaow us out. During the thirty five inch dumping, the kids actually got half a day off as a snow day! And, the Governor let the State Workers have half a day off that first day of dumping because the plows on our main highway hadn't been able to clear it up much at that time. And there were many a car and truck in the ditch that first week of snow, and I did see a couple in the ditch yesterday also.

Didn't yall read about our "snow disaster" up here in Juneau? Didn't you see it on CNN? Surely they carried this HUGE STORY? Well, we Alaskan are used to it I guess. The only time Lower 48ers pay us much attention is when they want to tell us what to do with our abundant natural resources which have been made nearly untouchable by the Feds and our states elected officials and their constituants.

But ya know, it is kinda weird when the main news stations will show a weather map of the contiguous US, with all of the temps and precip expectations, but never a peep about Alaska, your 49th state. Wassup wid dat? I mean, we really do fly the Red, White, and Blue. It really is a peculiarity to us up here...

We were right in the middle of the storm, but a lot of it early on came as graupel and sleet ... we ended up with maybe 4" of snow ... lotsa drifts, sun is out now.

Because I'm sure you want to know ... from wikipedia

Graupel (also called snow pellets) refers to precipitation that forms when freezing fog condenses on a snowflake, forming a 2–5 mm ball of rime ice; the snowflake acts as a nucleus of condensation in this process. The term is derived from German "Graupel" meaning "freezing rain" or "soft hail". Graupel does not include other frozen precipitation such as snow or ice crystals. The METAR code for graupel is GS.[1][2]

We already had it earlier this week, and - may I say - you're all welcome to it.

We broke the alltime rain record for a single month (they started recording such things here in 1891) and a cold record for November to boot. First it was floods, then it was snow. I've had enough winter already, thank you very much...

No snow to speak of here, 30 miles north of Kansas City, MO. Not even a full covering anywhere in my yard. Nothing but ice. After that big buildup it was a bit of a disappointment. But maybe I'll get out today and go to the store - that'd be a good thing.

LOVE your new avatar! :dance:

Wow, they closed ALL the Milwaukee County schools - that MUST be a lot of snow. Why I remember it being required to be something like below 0 degrees to get a day off for weather. We watched many a snowfall while I was sitting in classes there once upon a time...

Graupel, yeah Rhino, if you hadn't defined it here, I would have looked it up. Never heard of it before. Cool.

Edited by bowtwi