GreaseSpot Cafe

The Latest News...This just in...

Ron G.

Why doesn't Raf report serious hard news like this?

=====================================

Flatulence, not turbulence forces plane landing in Nashville

Flatulence brought 99 passengers on an American Airlines flight to an unscheduled visit to Nashville early Monday morning.

American Flight 1053, from Washington Reagan National Airport and bound for Dallas/Fort Worth, made an emergency landing here after passengers reported smelling struck matches, said Lynne Lowrance, a spokeswoman for the Nashville International Airport Authority.

The plane landed safely. The FBI, Transportation Safety Administration and airport authority responded to the emergency, Lowrance said.

The passengers and five crew members were brought off the plane, together with all the luggage, to go through security checks again. Bomb-sniffing dogs found spent matches.

The FBI questioned a passenger who admitted she struck the matches in an attempt to conceal body odor, Lowrance said. The woman lives near Dallas and has a medical condition.

The flight took off again, but the woman was not allowed back on the plane.

"American has banned her for a long time," Lowrance said.

She was not charged but could have been. While it is legal to bring as many as four books of paper safety matches onto an aircraft, it is illegal to strike a match in an airplane, Lowrance said.

Poor woman.

(Could she have taken Febreze or Oust onto the plane?)

I did send a letter to American Airlines telling them I thought it was cruel to treat a woman with a disability as a criminal rather than trying to help her overcome her problem and give her a more socially acceptable resolution (such as a can of Febreze or Oust) because she is a human being who deserves compassion, of which the world is in dire need.

Poor woman.

(Could she have taken Febreze or Oust onto the plane?)

I did send a letter to American Airlines telling them I thought it was cruel to treat a woman with a disability as a criminal rather than trying to help her overcome her problem and give her a more socially acceptable resolution (such as a can of Febreze or Oust) because she is a human being who deserves compassion, of which the world is in dire need.

I would completely agree with you, Kit, if the woman had gone sought help for her problem before creating a huge problem for so many others, but she didn't. Instead, she violated the law, caused the airline great expense, delayed all the other passengers, inconvenienced people who were waiting for passengers at their destination, probably cost several passengers quite a bit of money, caused a team of inspectors to inspect the plane and FBI investigators to question the passengers and crew, and only admitted what she did and why when she was interrogated. I sympathize with her problem, but that doesn't excuse what she put so many others through.

I agree with LG. There are other ways to handle the problem and, while I'm sorry that she has to deal with it, there are many, many alternatives to breaking the law. One would have to live in a cave to not realize that you don't get away with anything even remotely similar to what she did.

Now I'm sorry for the many people who were inconvenienced and for the woman, that she didn't have the common sense or forethought to come up with a better alternative.

Y'all are soooo wrong!! You do it while you're walking down the isle so nobody can tell for sure where it came from. Even better, while everyone is in the aisles trying to maneuver their overhead luggage. :wink2:

At least, that's what I hear. :unsure:

Even better than that Belle, is to cut a 'Silent but Deadly' in the elevator right as your getting off, ... and the doors quickly close, ...

... and the poor victims only then realize who did it, but are *trapped* with no way out! :redface::redface::redface:

:evildenk:

Oh wait! This is in regards to being in the _plane_. :biglaugh:

Edited by GarthP2000

Y'all are soooo wrong!! You do it while you're walking down the isle so nobody can tell for sure where it came from. Even better, while everyone is in the aisles trying to maneuver their overhead luggage. :wink2:

At least, that's what I hear. :unsure:

hmmm... Belle... I think I was on a flight with you one time!

Y'all are soooo wrong!! You do it while you're walking down the isle so nobody can tell for sure where it came from

Belle, that's what we call "crop dusting".

Not that anyone's keeping score, but I realized this week that it just takes some good old "fart talk" to bring me out of lurk-dom. What does that tell you about my in-depth spiritual perception and awareness?

Carry on.

Tonto, I've always been been impressed with your in depth spiritual perception. :wink2: After all, I wouldn't know the proper terminology to use when "witnessing" proper "crop dusting" techniques if it weren't for you. :biglaugh:

I humbly thank you and am ever so grateful for your willingness and ability to come out of lurkdom to offer expertise to the discussion.

The following is a modified chorus from a popular Paul Simon tune that has been approved for all audiences by the Department of Public Transportation:

50 ways to clear a room [chorus]

Let it slip out the back, Jack

Sans Port-a-San, Stan

Don't need a bidet, Oi vey

Just let one go free

But not on the bus, Gus

Folks'll be disgusted much

Grab the bathroom key, Lee

Please do it for me