GreaseSpot Cafe

What's For Christmas Dinner?

J0nny Ling0

We are having a fine and huge Prime Rib of roast beef! Man oh man do I love Prime! And, we have given up on regular potatoes and are having baked sweet potatoes. And I don't mean yams. Also, some nice fresh asparagus with hollandaise sauce, and fres baked bread. Yummy! And pies for later... :)

Great minds think alike or some such snot. Same here but no Hollandaise sauce and no fresh baked bread. Got a nice baguette from the store for dipping in the juice, a 4 bone roast, asparagus will be served with a vinagerette...sweet potatos will be served with LOTS of butter - I believe the word slathered comes to mind....

Nice Rummy!

And yes, sweet potatoesslathered with butter, Spike and pepper. We are big Spike fans here. And we'll have some good Aussie Merlot too. And, it's way cool to have all of the kids home. My daughter, US Merchant Marine (engineer), is home from her ship the Matanuska, and will be with us for two weeks.

Man, dinner will be fine! We're just finishing up opening the presents, and having the traditional lemon frosted cinnamon rolls and bacon. Nice combo, and a great tradition..

Johnny Lingo I think it's time for a cold one go get one on me and splurge as in olden times.

Well, it's still only1050 hrs, so, I'll just have to do with the Bailey's in the coffee. But why yes Fellowshipper, by all means, a nice "colddddd onnnnnnea' as you'd say. Ya knbow it's funn Fellowshipper, mt whole family uses alot of "Rondo-isms" around this house.

We had ours last night.

We had herb and spice encrusted Prime Rib roasted on the Barbeque, oven roasted mix of sweet and russet potatoes, oven roasted butternut squash SLATHERED in butter, cranberry sauce, and TUNA CASSEROLE. Yes, tuna casserole. My daughter insists on it.

We had cherry pie with crumb topping and whipped cream for dessert along with dessert wines and brandy.

And plenty of beer and nuts were consumed outside around a HUGE fire in the outdoor fire pit while all this was cooking.

We took the family on a cruise to Mexico instead of gifts this year. But Shannon and her sig other gave Dave and I PJs and a big box of crackling dura flame logs for the inside fireplace. I like dura flames because we don't need too much heat and they don't smoke up the house. Just nice atmosphere.

So.... we watched Bad Santa instead of opening gifts. It was a really fun time.

Merry Christmas to All.

Edited by nolongerlurking

We did the traditional turkey with dressing, smashed garlic tators, grape salad, deviled eggs and other finger foods, home made rolls that my 11 year old made. Dessert was pies (peach, rhubarb or pumpkin) and home made ice cream with strawberries.

Tomorrow is dinner at my dad and step mom's and I think it's more oyster stew, shrimp, probably my dad's beer butt chicken and smoked fish.

Beverages are always 'bring your own' and today was everything from Black Velvet to Milk or Pepsi.

Yams are a bright orange, and when cooked have a different texture than sweet potatoes.. To me, yams seem to be a bit "gelatinous" whereas the sweet potato is a more "fibrous". Plus, sweet potatoes are yellow and not orange. If a produce person tries to sell you "sweet potatoes" that are orange, then he/she doesn't know their veggies. SPs are inmistakeably yellow, and many times, more elongated (like the root that they are) than round.

And man oh man. Bake those babies just like a regular baked potato and dress it with whatever is your favorite baked potato topping, and mmm...mmmm...mmm! When I bake them, I poke each sweet potato full of holes with a fork to relieve the pressure within as it bakes. And, you know when it's done when you can easily shove a knife clean through without any resistance. If you haven't cooked them all the way, they're no good. And of course, there are lots of other ways to do them up... :)

Edited by Jonny Lingo

We had a roast beef (hole drilled in the beef and lot of garlic inside with fresh rosemary on top,) garlic mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, green beens Almandine (lots of butter and lots of almond slivers.)

Wine, was served with dinner. Kids had Dr Pepper.

For dessert, New York style cheesecake with some changes to the recipe, Blueberry pie.

A fairly simple dinner - but everyone loved it.

Edited by doojable

but candied yams are made from sweet potatoes aren't they?

We had a couple of nice glazed pork roasts, some portabella mushrooms with rice, spinach and cheese, fresh green beans cooked in chicken broth, and red potatoes, rolls, etc. Twas all good.

For dessert deep dish apple pies and some cheesecake like concoction my sister in law made that was delish...

...and Dixie Chick (the dog) got a big ole half a cows femur! (she did love it, too!)

We had our family (just the 5 of us) dinner on December 23. We, too, enjoyed a delicious prime rib. We had company potatoes (my version of twice baked potatoes), Thanksgiving squash casserole, deviled pea and asparagus casserole, sweet potatoes with pecan topping, and a cranberry apple bake. For dessert I took the easy way out and we enjoyed Godiva chocolate Santas.

On Christmas day the whole clan came over for a more casual affair. We had Honey Baked ham sandwiches, garlic cheese grit souffle, peel and eat them shrimp, potato salad, deviled eggs. For day long munchies clam dip, Rotelle dip, 7 layer dip, guacomole dip, assorted cheeses with crackers, assorted nuts, apples, oranges and pears. Desserts included chocolate pie, pecan pie, chess pie, and lemon chess pie. Beverages were mint tea, apple cider, egg nog with brandy, soft drinks, beer, and wine.

Now both refrigerators are full. And all can enjoy a great variety whenever they get hungry.

Suda

Jonny,

Chess pie is made with sugar, flour, cormeal, butter, egg yolks, and half and half. Folklore says that it was born in the south when visitors came for an unexpected stay (a routine happening due to the lack of communication and the long distances often traveled). The cooks in the kitchen had to come up with a dessert out of ingredients on hand, and made this type of pie. When asked what it was called, one replied, "It's jess (just) pie." And from that came the name Chess pie. Whether or not the story is true, I don't know. But I do know that chess pie is delicious.

Suda