GreaseSpot Cafe

Does it ever go away?

Linda Z

Linda,

Congradulations on quitting! I quit 2 yrs ago cold turkey! I tried to quit different ways...but that was the only way that worked for me....cuz if it were a gradual thing I knew that I would and could always find really legitimate reasons to light up. You have to chose the method that helps you. It's been over 2 years and I rarely have cravings. I am with You in heart and prayer!

((((((((((((((((Linda)))))))))))))

Love You, RG

Congratulations Rick! That's awesome!

And woo-hoo to you, Linda!

And hurray to everyone else who has quit!

Everyone once in a blue moon, usually when I'm under stress, I'll think its a good idea to have a cigarette. So, I light up, take a puff, and wonder how I ever found pleasure in smoking.

Congratulations!!!

For me, quitting was difficult at first because my mind was all set with the usual 'picture'... me lighting up, having a cigarette, while I fought against it... that was the 'craving'... the desire to complete the thought~

Watching/Observing 'non-smokers' helped, paying attention to 'what they did' during the times I usually 'light up'.

The most difficult 'work' was changing that picture of myself, but it helped to have some 'examples' from the people I was 'watching' ;)

After that... it was EASY!!! Quit w/ another poster here on New Years Eve 1985.... The only time I ever thought I'd want one was in a Bar~ ... but.. I didn't

Hurray for you :dance:

I quit cold turkey 13 years ago. It was the weirdest thing; all of a sudden the smell of cigarettes REPULSED me. I couldn't stand smelling them on me or in my car. I do remember putting my fingers up to my mouth when I would drive away from work for lunch or going home for a few weeks after I quit. I didn't smoke that much--mabe 2/3 a pack a day, but the ones I had I REALLY liked having. I wish weight loss was as easy for me. Addiction sucks.

I really feel for anyone trying to quit today. I really thinks cigarettes have a lot more in them than they did when I smoked. They just seem to smell worse than they used to.

I did try one time about a year after I quit. I lived with a couple who rolled their own cigarettes. I tried one hit, and it was an instant reminder as I gasped for air why I didn't want to do it anymore.

Interesting responses..

I might would feel differently had I never smoked but since I *DID* smoke for over 20 years, I have opinions about quitting. A lot of it is my medical background. We can study the withdrawal symptoms of the addicting drugs. We can quantify "cold turkey" goose flesh, sweating, diarrhea, constipation, fever etc.. but we can't quantify "cravings".

That's why the very definition of 'addiction' has changed since I was in dental school. Back then, if a drug produced measurable withdrawal symptoms upon cessation, it was an addicting drug.. if it only produced cravings, then it was all up in the head and considered 'habituating'. You rarely hear that term now. Back then cocaine wasn't considered addicting because there were few if any measurable withdrawal symptoms. Same thing with nicotine. Remember when the CEO's of the tobacco companies all swore to congress that nicotine was not addicting? I think by the old definitions they were right. Because I quit the day my dear Suda had heart by-pass surgery. We quit together. I did it for her. But two months later.. *she* was smoking again.

In the first few days after not having a cigarette I was really wanting one. But then I held out my hands straight in front of me.. I didn't have tremors characteristic of alcohol withdrawal.. I wasn't having chills and fever.. in fact.. if I didn't tell anyone, no one would know I was in any kind of withdrawal. My hands were as steady as ever and I was working in peoples' mouths. No one knew. So I guess I kind of said to myself that this "hard to quit" cigarettes thingee was just BS because some people just didn't want to quit hard enough so they blamed the *cigarettes" rather than themselves.

But since my college minor was in psychology, I knew about associated behaviors. And cigarette smoking was associated (in my case) with.. 1) getting (or making) a telephone call. 2) Having a beer or other alcoholic drink. 3) Driving down the highway bored with nothing to do with the hands. 4) Having a cup of coffee 5) Finishing a meal...etc etc... So what most folks do is avoid the behaviors that were associated with having a cig so they won't crave one. But not me.. I intentionally did all these things on purpose so as I would no longer associate them with cigarettes.

It was a sacrifice as I forced myself to drink lots and lots of beer and finish lots and lots of meals. But it worked. I never think of cigarettes. Except when Suda is smoking right beside me and I'm choking on the fumes. And wondering (with her heart, BP and COPD diseases) how much longer I will have the love of my life with me.

sudo

"It was a sacrifice as I forced myself to drink beer after beer."

I think I'm going to use that one.

"Honest, honey, I don't WANT to drink these beers, but I'm making that sacrifice so I can resist the temptations of nicotine and live a long happy life with you, sweetie."

Wife responds:

"Have a smoke." :wink2:

:wave:

I was searching for something completely unrelated (albumin allergies, actually) and came across this article from The Psychiatric Times, March 2007 edition....

Damage to part of the brain may aid smoking cessation

Damage to part of the brain may cause persons addicted to nicotine to "forget" to smoke, a recent press release from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) claims. Preliminary research showed that smokers may find it easier to quit after suffering damage to the insula.

In the study, 13 of 19 smokers who had experienced brain damage resulting in lesions on the insula quit smoking. Only 19 out of 50 smokers with brain injuries not affecting the insula quit smoking.

The smokers who experienced greater ease in quitting were identified based on 4 behavioral criteria: those who reported quitting smoking less than 1 day after the brain injury, those who reported that difficulty of quitting was less than 3 on a scale of 1 to 7, those who reported that they did not smoke after quitting, and those who reported no urge to smoke after quitting. Twelve of 13 participants with damage to their insula who quit smoking met these criteria, compared with only 4 of 19 participants without insula damage who quit smoking.

Dr Antoine Bechara of the University of Southern California, lead author of the study, which was published in the January 26, 2007, issue of Science, explained that the insula "plays a role in the desire to smoke by anticipating physical effects brought on by emotions such as those induced by environmental cues. Thus, damage to the insula could lead smokers to feel that their bodies have 'forgotten' the urge to smoke."

Dr Nora Volkow, director of NIDA, emphasized the importance of these findings. "While additional research is needed to replicate these findings, the current study suggests that damage to the insula can impact the conscious 'urge' to smoke, making it easier for smokers to quit and remain abstinent," she said. "Medications that target receptors within the insula may offer promise in developing more effective smoking cessation therapies in the future."

Hmmm...does this mean all we really need is a good whack in the head?

Yours frowningly-on-brain-damage, and applaudingly-on-those-who've-quit,

~QT

Waysider,

You're a sharp cookie. I say this stuff all the time but nobody seems to EVER pick up on it. I'm now thinking that trips to the nudie girls bars would also be beneficial. Hey!.... If its all in the name of getting recovered, huh?

sudo (whose wife can't understand pro-active therapy)

P.S. Hey! Look at those hooters!! I think I'm on my way to recovery!

Sudo,

I enjoyed your little story so much, I even shared it with the Countess. I think the reason many here may not have got it was that it was a long, serious, trip from the beginning of your post to the punchline!

My dad quit smoking cold turkey and said the hardest part was the feeling that there was nothing in his hands.

My mom smoked until the day she died.

George

I quit three packs a day nearly 5 years ago, and did not have much problem doing it – particularly after urges for a cigarette pretty much waned after a few months. No patch for me (I figured I’d just wind up smoking and doing patches), but I found breathing secondhand smoke (twice daily during the workweek) effective for getting rid of whatever happened to be going on physically with me and a lack of nicotine. I think the reason I don't have an urge for cigarettes is that I remember too well the chronic cough and alarming chest sensations that accompanied my last three or four months of smoking.

On a less victorious note, I quit coffee yesterday morning, and have been popping ibuprofens since yesterday afternoon to fight off the headaches.

Cynic,

Take just a couple of sips of a caffeinated cola. That's all it takes to ward off the headache yet doesn't make the withdrawal process that much longer like nicotine patches do.

sudo (thinking he may need another beer right now for theraputic reasons)

My dad was a 2 pack a day Camel smoker for almost 40 years. He quit cold turkey one day and never looked back. Some people can do it. I think the motivator for him was when he realized he wanted good health. Not everyone is like this, and it doesn't necessarily mean that it works that way for each person. He still says he would love a cigarette. Ironically he is the most judgmental arse when it comes to others having a hard time quitting. :rolleyes:

I worked with another lady who experienced SEVERE depression when she tried to quit. She acted as if she had broken up with a lover. That was kind of weird.

Speaking of quitting and using patches, never EVER smoke while you have a patch on. It's massive nicotine overdose.

My husband had his fatal heart attack while, I found out later, he was sneaking smokes during the wearing of the nicotine patch.

I can't prove it contributed to his death, but please don't try and find out.