GreaseSpot Cafe

Night of the Living Duck

Raf

Shot duck survives 2 days in a refrigerator

The Associated Press

January 20, 2007, 3:10 PM EST

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The duck wouldn't die.

Wildlife officials said the feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days.

That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife ``was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her,'' said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. ``She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there.''

[snip]

The Rest Of the Story

Shot duck survives 2 days in a refrigerator

The Associated Press

January 20, 2007, 3:10 PM EST

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The duck wouldn't die.

Wildlife officials said the feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days.

That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife ``was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her,'' said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. ``She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there.''

[snip]

The Rest Of the Story

Hey, I QUACKED out loud (er, laughed) when I read your post, Raf! What a hoot... er, QUACK! :biglaugh:

What great news! What a wonderful person the wife is to take the duck to the vet. Hopefully, the duck will be able to stay at the sanctuary, and live the rest of her life in peace.

As for the hunter, I'd love to hear what he thinks about this.

Just wondering why the hunter didn't clean the duck before tossing it in the refrigerator.

Generally speaking, I don't think most animals feel much pain. I've had ducks and chickens that were attacked by predators run around like nothing happened after losing various limbs and body parts. One duck in particular healed up after losing everything from it's wings back to a raccoon. I finally put the duck down when the back half started rotting and stinking, even though it just acted normally like nothing was wrong.

Anyway, ducks are for eating, NOT for duck retirement homes.