GreaseSpot Cafe

Happy Retirement, Watered Garden

waysider

If I counted the days correctly, tomorrow will be Watered Gardens' last day as one of us working stiffs.

Best wishes and hope you have fun with your "truck garden".

Truck garden-------Hmmm!--------I think I saw one of those as I was driving down the highway the other day. It looked like they might be growing some Chevettes and Pintos along with those trucks.

Well, it's official. I'm retired. Kind of a weird feeling. I went around after I clocked out and gave my badge to the administrator and said goodbye to everyone I could find. Everyone (almost) thanked me for working there and being so helpful. It's been eight years.

Up until last November, I worked for a doctor I really liked and respected. She treated breast cancer, children's cancers, and brain tumors. She is a woman of faith.

About 2 1/2 years ago, however, the department got a new chair, also a woman. The four doctors who had been there forever were initially glad to get her, and the doctor she insisted on bringing with her. Then a great deal of conflict started to develop. I don't know a lot of the problems specifically, if you live in Columbus and read "The Other Paper", some of it had to do with the problems brought up in that article on the front page. And of course money is always at the bottom of everything. There was strife with her and three of the doctors, "my" doc being one of them, so one by one, they left.

This is not uncommon in academic medicine. A new dept head is hired from outside of the system, and he or she has new ideas and different ways of doing things and gently, or not so gently if the people there don't have tenure, edges them out.

But it broke my heart. One guy, internationally known in his field, went to California. Another, formerly the head of the department himself, retired, and is emeritus, which the new chief tried to stop. The doctor I worked for simply joined a practice group that serves several other hospitals, which took a lot of pressure off her, and she is very happy with it.

The new chief had already hired in a doctor who had been her resident in another state, and I ended up being his secretary, in fact, he asked for me when I was going to be assigned to someone else, thank God, because he is a very nice man.

So now I am officially retired. My husband has ordered 60 black raspberry plants so I won't get bored. We are going to put in a cutting garden. I don't expect to be bored. I can volunteer at our church. I may even get a part time job, but I hope I don't have to as a really clean house is something I haven't had for a long time. I also want to learn to cook really nice meals. I'm sure there will be a lot of things. Eventually we plan to travel a little.

Thanks for all your kind wishes. They mean a lot to me.

WG