GreaseSpot Cafe

Looking for some classical music

Cowgirl

Hi there!

I'm back again, only this time I'm looking for some classical music, stuff like "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, "Pachelbel" that kind of stuff, the kind that makes you feel like you're walking on air, light and cheery, NOT THE DARK GLOOMY STUFF. There's one I can't seem to recall, it's on the tip of my tongue, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is, it's a very popular one, a real pretty one so if any one has any suggestions, that would be terrific, they can even be instrumental ones from movies .

Thanks

Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for but I've got many many classical tunes. I don't know if you want them in a large good MP3 or not so I've posted two here in downgaded form. However, if you were going to make a CD from them I have the MP3's for you.

The first one (Click HERE!) is of course the famous one we all know. The next one by J.S. Bach is a bit more obscure. As it opens the young man in the 17th century has just been told that the lass he has been yearning for loves him too!! They have just exchanged kisses and he is walking on air. At about the 2:09 minute mark he has to ask her father for her hand in marriage and he is worried. At the 4:00 mark after dissension the father confronts the young man but fear not! All is well At 5:40 he and his bride live happily ever after! Click HERE!

sudo (ever the romantic)

Cowgirl

I have a CD that features one of the best renditions of Bachs' "Jesu, The Joy of Man's Desiring" I have ever heard.

The CD is titled "Music That Touches The Heart(Lyrical Classics Played on the Harmonica)".

It is a recording that features world renown classical harmonica player, Cham-Ber Huang and pianist, Zhou Guang-Ren.

Also represented on the CD are pieces by Vivaldi, Bizet, Handel, Beethoven, etc.

This is not a gimmick. It is the real deal.

I'm not sure where you can find it. I bought my copy from Cham-Ber Huang, himself, several years ago.

Last I heard the phone number for his company was (516) 842-1907.

If you can't find it, let me know and I will burn you a copy.( I rarely burn anything but if something is not available what other options are there?)

PS --- Most of the classical harmonica material available would probably be well suited to your search because a high percentage of it is Baroque.

Ummm ... Weak in the knees cologne ... walking on air classical music ... Whaaaats up???

Anyway, my library of classical is heavy on the side of piano - my favorite instrument. So my suggestions are mostly Chopin. If you want something that will be romantic and continuous, get a CD of his nocturnes. His preludes, waltzes and etudes are good too, but can get a little bit edgy. Some of my all time favorite, romantic era piano pieces are both of his piano concertos' middle movements (Romance:Larghetto from Concerto No.1, and Larghetto from Concerto No. 2). They are both about 10 minutes long and give goose bumps. You might recognize the music from movie scores.

Speaking of which, your local music store will sell compilations of "ligh classical," "romantic classical," etc. which would give you continuous soft, light music. One I bought was called "Movie Adagios." It contains Elivira Madigan, Cavalleria Rusticana, The "Rachy 2" famous 2nd movement, Clair de lune, etc. ... it is really over the top in heavy light classical (an oxymoron???).

Enjoy.

Clam

Hi there!

I'm back again, only this time I'm looking for some classical music, stuff like "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, "Pachelbel" that kind of stuff, the kind that makes you feel like you're walking on air, light and cheery, NOT THE DARK GLOOMY STUFF. There's one I can't seem to recall, it's on the tip of my tongue, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is, it's a very popular one, a real pretty one so if any one has any suggestions, that would be terrific, they can even be instrumental ones from movies .

Thanks

Cowgirl

Hmmm. From one mandolin picker to another -- check out:

, or;

, or;

:spy:

Edited by dmiller

Overture to Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro

Bach's Air on a G string (not a reference anything worn by a stripper)

Overture to Rossini's The Barber of Seville

Mozart Concerto for flute in A

Beethoven Symphony Nine, Ode to Joy (last movement of Beethoven's Ninth)

Aaron Copeland Rodeo especially hoedown

Aaron Copeland Appalachain Spring

Mozart -- Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Vivaldi -- Spring or Summer from the Four Seasons, and almost any concerto by Vivaldi

Bach -- Brandenburg Concertos, #3 is my favorite, and the Bach Cello Suites, and the flute sonatas

Copland -- Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man, Duo for Flute and Piano

Strauss waltzes, if you just want to dance around the house!

Who'da thought there was so much culture here at GS? I'm impressed.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. I definitely second Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks, a piece I much prefer to Water Music.

As to JS Bach, the greatest composer that ever lived, another nice piece is the Concerto for Oboe and Violin. My all time favorite, however, is his Mass in B minor. Being a mass, it has movements themed to the worshop of God and life of Christ. So you have uplifting as well as reflective moods in the piece. If you get a copy, don't try to digest the whole thing at once. Start with the Laudamus te, a sweet soprano aria, Domine Deus, a gorgeous soprano-tenor duet that has the tenor singing praise to God while the soprano sings of Christ and his relationship with God. All interwolven in a stunningly beautiful fabric. Then try Et resurrexit, a celibration of the resurrection of Christ, probably my favorite movement.

Another real favorite of mine is Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings. It's a little bit manic, with alternate happy and sad movements, but I love the emotion wrapped up in it.

Shaz beat me to Aaron Copland.

I recommend the chamber orch. 'original version' of "Appalachian Spring", particularly the recording

conducted by Copland on CBS/Sony. It's a beautiful recording, more intimate & contemplative and not bombastic

like the full blown symphony suite.

Respighi, "Ancient Dances and Airs for Lute Suites 1, 2 & 3" ( Mercury, Antal Dorati).

Rich, lively stuff.

Any "greatest hits" compilation cd of Vaughan Williams' music (should include "The Lark Ascending").

If you're in a religious movie film kind of mood -

Alan Hovhaness, "Mysterious Mountain".

Music for cleaning the house:

Gershwin, "Rhapsody in Blue"; Oscar Levant on the paino is still my favorite version.

Good call on the Resphigi.

You might also like Dvorak's New World Symphony, Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture & his Reformation Symphony. For modern religious, Arvo Part's anything is great, though some can be brooding. John Tavener's choral music is fantastic.

Another real pretty piece is "Quilting Theme" by Thomas Newman.................thanks everyone for all your contributions, I'm just starting to get to some of them now. By the way I absolutely love "Appalachian Spring" even the the title of it !!

Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

I know that you're a big fan of MIDI music (for embedding in posts). You can get some good MIDI's for free from this site: http://www.classicalarchives.com/

For $25 a year, you can also download a really good selection of live recorded music as well.

BTW, there are 18 versions (MIDI and recorded) of Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring on that site...