GreaseSpot Cafe

TMZ: Rosie Bids Adieu to "The View"

markomalley

Note to mods: I am confident that this thread will eventually make its way, as if by magic, to the 'tacks section. Request you leave it in 'open' as long as possible so as to give those who don't play in the mosh pit a chance to comment (as The View is, by all accounts, a fairly successful daytime TV show...even without the spectre of politics)

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread:

TMZ.com reports: There is a strong buzz in Hollywood that Rosie O'Donnell will announce Wednesday (April 25th) that she is leaving "The View."

For the rest of this short article, please refer to the TMZ.com website.

Comments?

I am not so much looking for the political angle on this (thus posting it in 'open'), but I"m more curious for opinions from those who watch the show. Was her tenure on the show a good addition or a mistake? If you watch the show, will you miss her presence? I have never seen the show (other than the political outtakes), so have no opinion other than it will be a little less humor out there.

I don't know much about her but was wondering, what is there about that obnoxious windbag that would be political? Is The View a political show or something?

I've only seen her a few times when she had her own show. Never quite understood how she could GET her own show. But then, I feel the same way about Oprah, Sally, and all the others.

Rick

Never watched the show, but I have thought her very funny at times. She was good in "A League Of Their Own" about the women's baseball teams during WW II. She also did a funny one with Dan Akroyd where they went to some Island for a sex vacation as undercover cops. Pretty funny, that one. She was all decked out in the bondage gear and was her usual funny self. But, I cannot stand her liberal political views, particularly her stance on gun control. She has armed body guards, but doesn't want me to have firearms. A typical Lefty hypocrite.

Unfortunately, It's not a loss in my view to lose Rosie's imput. She has always had a string of self affirming contraversial agendas. Continually, she conveys these agendas as her priorities and interjects them in most threads of her commentaries. I am also unable to respect that she seems to feel justified in supporting them using her past notoriety, instead of legitimate data. They have mostly been based on promoting her personal life style choices. Her experience base as a commentator is very weak and lacks substance and supporting evidences in view of the subject matters or issues being discussed. I don't believe her to be well rounded enough to discuss issues fairly and without biases. Her manner is too abrassive, unpolished and unrefined. Quite often she is just too argumentive and agressive to accomplish any real purpose except to say in general, I am okay and you're okay...so leave me alone! This to me seems to make it crystal clear that she relentlessly will rise up with a same old, same old tirade to support her personal agendas. If that is her only real purpose; she should find another more appropriate podium. I enjoy commentators that can add their perspective to a variety of subjects and issues without interjecting their personal agendas in a dogmatic fashion.

IMHO, Nothing beats an intellegent, witty, charasmatic, well arranged, full of substance, and truly informative presentation! Morning talk shows, all too often to me are usually lacking in substance for the most part. They come across as though they are providing valuable new or added quality information. Instead they use catch phrases and half truths to peak viewer interest. I think that battle has been long lost and that they are out of tune and out of sync with the world in that respect. When they finally do present their piece; it is either a rehash of well known facts or a fizzle out of: We don't really know, We can't really say, and We are just on another fishing expedition type of finish. In other words, it seems an unstated purpose of theirs is to say that we the people in general are to be treated as though we could qualify as having far inferior capacities. That the far superior media must guide us hand in hand and step by step; that we are vastly dependant on them and must stay tuned in or risk being even less informed and shallow.

Well, as far as my being informed goes; I like to check out a variety of sourses. Weigh and evaluate the evidence presented based on a Godly standard or at least one that has endued the test of time.

I've never watched the show, but apparently Rosie and some right-wing nutcase would get into arguments all the time on there about politics. Whoever the right-winger is, they are supposedly as obnoxious as Rosie is, so I'd think that if the producers want a successful show, they fire both and focus on shoes or whatever people that watch daytime talk shows are interested in.

As for Rosie, she's a loud-mouthed idiot. My biggest disagreement with her is over her stance on guns, but quite there are other things I actually agree with her on. The only problem is that she is so obnoxious in presenting her views that even if it is something I am sympathetic to, I hate how she presents it.

So personally, I don't give a toss about The View or Rosie O'Donnell.

but apparently Rosie and some right-wing nutcase would get into arguments all the time on there about politics

And maybe, Mosh, this has been a draw. Every good story, movie, whatever, needs to have "conflict". Maybe this has been part of the attraction to the show? Maybe to keep the show "exciting", she should stay? I dunno, I have never seenit. The tv schedules here in AK are often way out of whack I mean, Monday night Football starts at 5:00 p.m. When does "The View" air?

And maybe, Mosh, this has been a draw. Every good story, movie, whatever, needs to have "conflict". Maybe this has been part of the attraction to the show? Maybe to keep the show "exciting", she should stay? I dunno, I have never seenit. The tv schedules here in AK are often way out of whack I mean, Monday night Football starts at 5:00 p.m. When does "The View" air?

It's on when everyone else is at work here, but I don't know exactly what time. In any case, it probably says something about society when a show that is supposed to be about fluff like getting your nails done and who Brad Pitt is eating lunch with today needs conflict and anger. At least we haven't gotten to a point where there is Ultimate Sesame Street Fighting Championships yet. If that happens, I'm going to check out that new planet they found.

Odd man out here !!!

To tell you the truth, even though I didn't agree with her sexual preferences, I enjoyed her, I found her to be funny and down to earth, she wasn't afraid to be herself. I like the fact that she wasn't afraid to speak up.

Cowgirl

cowgorl,

Yes she wasn't afraid to be herself and speak up. Too bad her ideas were often wacky

and she frequently lacked decorum. Sometimes she was just plain disgusting.

I'm happy she is off TV. My prayers have been answered.

CS

Seems to me that most of the talk shows employ opinionated people who cause controversey because it draws an audience. Regardless of your belief system, or opinions, you can almost always find a loudmouth on TV who yaks on and on in favor of your views....and they call it balanced programming.

Rosie is one of those characters that is good at only one thing...comedy (in this case)....and therefore, because of her celebrity, can draw an audience. Add to that her frequent, fierce, opiniated statements, and BINGO....she's prime talk show material! <_< Talk about lowering the standards to meet the challenge!

Maybe she'll disappear back into the comedy club circuit?

Although I sometimes found Rosie overbearing on The View, I liked what she added into the mix. Controversy can be thought-provoking, and debate can be healthy. Before Rosie, with the former co-host (I can't even think of her name now), The View was about as relevant and interesting as watching a soap opera.

And Mosh, the conservative Republican on the show is not someone I'd call a right-wing nut. She's definitely to the right of the other women on the show, and I don't often agree with her, but I respect her. She doesn't just blindly follow the party line but instead follows her own conscience about social and political issues. And the women do get into some heated discussions, but they have a real knack for agreeing to disagree and not making in personal.

Rosie made her announcement on the show today. She says she originally intended to do this show for 1 year and then return to being a stay-at-home-type mom again. It sounded like they tried to get her to stay (based on what Barbara Walters said), but that's not going to happen.

Of course Donald Trump is taking "credit" for the end of Rosie's stint because of his recent feud with her. What a self-important schmuck he is. It's all about him, Mr. Comb Over. :D

I never saw the View. I did see her talk show a few times and tried to enjoy her but never could get there. That's all I know about this.

I never saw the view either. I don't care for those "women bonding" shows, even the Christian ones like Aspiring Women, which is like a Christian Woman's The View. I have nothing in common with those women nor do I want to.

Too many memories of feeling out of place in Wayferland Stepfordville I guess. I always felt like the lone soul on Noah's Ark.

I got up and came back and was still sitting here on this post and that little rottiegrrrl showed up. :wave:

I have to work at feeling at ease with those women groups even in real life. :unsure:

Part of the reason is what is important to some of them seems so superficial in the overall scheme of life. I have never had the interest to put so much energy into some of the things they feel is SO important. :yawn1:

I'm not sure what a "women bonding" show is, but I wouldn't describe it like that. The four women on The View are very different from each another, and they discuss real issues, not just nail polish and PMS. :eusa_clap:

They have some great discussions, and they all voice their opinions with passion. They very often disagree, but sometimes they agree, regardless of their political leanings. I like that, and I find the conversations intelligent and sometimes entertaining. I usually try to save some more routine tasks to do when the program is on, because my dirty little secret is that I listen to it on the radio while working. :)