GreaseSpot Cafe

Rome City Campus For Sale Again

Belle

When they had clothes giveaway at the Way College of Emporia, they called it Acts Fifth Avenue. Is that what you're trying to remember? (I hate that getting old stuff, too...)

Getting your hair cut was Reflections.

Can't think of any others right now ...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plurality Palace! My ex got the most comfortable blue robe from Plurality Palace when he was in res. When we got married, I absconded the robe for my own use and darn if he didn't take it with him when he moved out (probably just to spite me). I thought about asking for custody, but, well..... I chickened out. I do miss that robe, though.

You know, I know I'd heard of Plurality Palace and Acts Fifth Avenue but for some reason I think we called the one at Rome City something different. The mind...it's a terrible thing. :biglaugh:

Adam's Alley...the little kids used to ride their big wheels tricycles going ninety...crammed way close together, grinning like monkeys. I would stand there and watch them and get tears in my eyes thinking of how they were so blessed to be raised in the rightly divided word and how they would grow up to be great leaders. We thought we were giving our son the best by taking him in the corps with us. Somehow we were able to see our way out of twi before he turned 7 and before our daughter was born. For those of you kids who weren't so fortunate I'm so sorry for you and your families. You deserved better and I hope and pray you can overcome the heartache and the loss.

I hate that place. To me, it's sorta like the Berlin Wall or Gettysburg or even the Twin Towers, where tourists might come to look and imagine some of the pain that took place there.

I think this is the source of the "haunted" feeling that some of you have referred to. It's not really ghostly or spooky, but the sense of cruelty and hurt is undeniable present. It's a heaviness and darkness, that all the window-washing and toilet-scrubbing that we did ... couldn't eradicate.

This is probably why the property keeps changing hands so rapidly, don't you think?

Shifra,

I'm not sure what pain you are talking about... the place was a spa during the days when people believed walking in mineral waters would cure just about everything. If you read about Charles Darwin's life, he was a big fan of such treatments. From what I understand the "electrical looking things" with the tubs were simply whirlpool-thingies. I'm not aware of anything like shock-treatments, etc. taking place on that site. It was not a place for the mentally disturbed but those looking for physical or spiritual rejuvination.

If I am mis-informed, I'd like someone to point me to the information.

Thanks,

THW

Shifra,

I'm not sure what pain you are talking about... the place was a spa during the days when people believed walking in mineral waters would cure just about everything. If you read about Charles Darwin's life, he was a big fan of such treatments. From what I understand the "electrical looking things" with the tubs were simply whirlpool-thingies. I'm not aware of anything like shock-treatments, etc. taking place on that site. It was not a place for the mentally disturbed but those looking for physical or spiritual rejuvination.

Thanks,

THW

Ditto on the spa concept.

It was my understanding that people of financial substance paid big bucks for these treatments.

I think it might be somewhat similar to the mudbath, exfoliation, steamroom type treatments that we are familiar with.

The pain inflicted there may have been TWI specific.

Shifra,

Thanks,

THW

I think Shifra was pointing to the "cruelty and hurt" caused by twi more than the previous residents. I might be wrong, though... It was a sanitarium (a health resort) not a sanitorium (hospital for long term care, usually of tuberculosis patients) or an insane asylum (as I have heard in rumors)....

The article in the link early in the thread states,

The campus originally was the site of the Kneipp Springs health spa that was developed between 1897 and 1910.

The spa was named Kneipp Springs in honor of a Catholic clergyman who had developed a method of hydrotherapy for the treatment of illnesses. Several natural springs on the property provided an abundant supply of water for the treatments.

In 1902, the Catholic Order of the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood, which had been located in Maria Stein, Ohio, bought the property for use as a convent and retreat.

The Way International purchased the bulk of the property from the Sisters of the Precious Blood in 1976 and bought the remaining acreage from a couple in 1979.

I read Shifra that way, too--that she was referring to the pain people in the Corps/on staff or visiting that campus experienced. I'm thankful that most of my memories of the place are good ones, but I feel for those who went through he!! there.

Waysider, the Kneipp water treatments involved what you're describing, I believe, plus some other, less "cosmetic" treatments, like sticking hoses where the sun don't shine and...well, you know.

I had a little booklet on the Kneipp Springs "water cure," and I've promised it to NoWayHozay if I ever find it!! If I do, I'll post some of its contents before sending it to him.

Edited by Linda Z

Well, while I was fortunate to have a good experience at the Rome City campus, I know it was pure MISERY for others. I'm sure the same can be said for each campus location. If horrible things happened to you there, you would easily hate the place.

I guess I was amazingly fortunate -- I had no experiences that caused me to hate any of the places (some of the people... oh yeah!!! ... but not the places).

Because I was at Emporia only while in the College Division, I mostly enjoyed my time, but I have friends who had a HORRIBLE time there in-rez as corps. TJ ran a very personally destructive goulag.

I also know that SS was extremely hard on the folks in-rez at Gunnison during his final reign... my own encounter with him there was shocking and demeaning. Thankfully, it was very brief as I was just there to staff some family camps and then got to leave.

And, then again, while I had a rough time at HQ, I have enough decent memories from some of the great people there, I don't look at the grounds with any kind of residual sense of anger or hurt.

And after HQ, Rome City was downright peaceful!

Mostly I look at pictures of these campuses with a sense of loss and regret... how much good could have been done, and how much hurt and waste and damage and evil resulted instead? It does my heart good to think of other groups coming in after twi and doing something useful and beneficial with the properties. Like it purges the evil and redeems them somehow...

Highway,

You wrote: "It was not a place for the mentally disturbed, but for those looking for physical or spiritual rejuvenation". That's hilarious!

Yes, I know you are speaking of the property prior to TWI's polution, but I remembered all of my corps brothers and sisters and their kids, who came there looking for spiritual things, and ended up being mentally disturbed.

And I'm sure most of the stories I heard about the nuns and the dead babies, etc, from when the place belonged to the Catholics ... were mostly urban folklore, but still pretty weird.

Yep, the campus has some funky energy, for sure, left over from various bizarre enterprises. Glad to be far away these days.