Snooty Pans

Sushi

Snooty pans  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU have snooty pans?

• No, I have the stuff left by the previous residents
    • No, but I do buy my cookware at the Dollar Store
    • Yes, but I'm embarrassed
    • Yes, and you'll only get them if you pry them out of my cold, dead, fingers

Is cast iron considered "snooty"?

Since I'm more the indoor/outdoor type, my pans may not be snooty, but they're most definitely sooty. I love the old fashioned steel skillets with the long hollow handles as they won't burn your hand over a campfire, and nothing ever sticks in a well seasoned pan.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually make it to Michigan, like I've been wanting to do for years, and treat ol' Sushi to some deer sausage gravy cooked up in an old steel skillet with pancakes cooked over a campfire on the back of a shovel.

He'll never be the same again.

Pick a date, Ron! :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy most of my cookware at garage sales and the Salvation army store...they're a little bit scuffed up but work just fine...I try to avoid the ones with too many teflon peelings...but what the hell, they're only .50 each.

Last week I found a toaster for a quarter...it worked just fine after I shook the old bread crumbs and the mouse turds out of it...and of course, spliced and taped on a new plug.

My favorite is my stir fry pan...I found it at the city dump. It took awhile to scrape all that brown stuff out of it but boy oh boy, it really works good for my fried baloney and onion sandwiches.

why spend a lot of money for something that you can get for free or next to nothing...yeah, that's the ticket.

The one pan I have that would be hardest to live without is a very old cast iron griddle that covers two burners of our gas stove. I like all the real estate. I can heap on potatoes for home fries and onions separate for those who don't like 'em, and have hotter spots and cooler spots if I want for "holding" stuff when omelets are cooking, etc. I bought it at an antique store for about $18, IIR. But I didn't buy it to hang on a wall. It's perfectly seasoned and nothing sticks to it. Not too snooty, I'd agree, but I wouldn't trade it for the snootiest of the snoot.

• 3 months later...

I have a set of Vita Craft waterless cookware we bought in 1978. It came with a lifetime guarantee on the pans themselves, and free replacement of handles for life. It included two saucepans, two skillets, a Dutch oven with an extended lid, which can also serve as a deep dish skillet with the normal large skillet on top of it. Also we got a piece that makes the top of a double boiler thing when you set it in the 2 qt. sauce pan. The lids provide a seal which cooks the food. It saves energy and nutrients. We also got some knives with it and a cookbook which I can't find. It is 5-ply, 2 layers of stainless steel, 1 layer of heavy aluminum, and 2 more layers of steel. So you are cooking on stainless steel but have the heavy duty aluminum to rely on for heat retention.

After 29 years it's still just fine, though I've had to send a pan or two off to be re-handled. It was made in the USA, Shawnee, Kansas in fact, and I would recommend it to anyone.

WG