Snooty Pans

Sushi

Snooty pans  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU have snooty pans?

• No, I have the stuff left by the previous residents
    • No, but I do buy my cookware at the Dollar Store
    • Yes, but I'm embarrassed
    • Yes, and you'll only get them if you pry them out of my cold, dead, fingers

RainbowsGirl - a quick couple of hints to make your pie crust a little easier:

1. Use cold water (like with ice in it) - it keeps the fat in the crust hard which makes it more flaky when you bake it.

2. You can add a little sugar to the crust if you want, too - not too much, though, maybe a tbsp for 2 pies.

3. Use your hands to "cut" the fat into the flour - it's a lot faster than messing with a pastry cutter or knife

4. You can glaze the crust with beaten egg to make it shiny.

I'll check my copious collection of cookbooks to see if I have a recipe for raspberry pie filling. I just got a box of antique cookbooks shipped to me today, might find something interesting in there!

- jane

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought a set of heavy multi layered cookware from Barbara Standage back 30 years ago. I think it was offered by "Homemakers Guild" or something like that. I don't know who actually made the set for them. It has stood the test of time quite well. I think it has a copper layer between the stainless layers. Although for my grilled cheese and for my eggs, I prefer good heavy non-stick stuff.

~HAP

I bought myself a good set of stainless steel pots and pans with a nonstick coating and a set of stainless steel (Wolfgang Puc brand) a couple years ago. It took some getting used to the stainless steel without the nonstick coating. I forget the brand name on the nonstick stuff.

I still use my cast iron skillets all the time, but if I need a bigger frying pan than they are, I use the stainless steel, which works out nicely. I also love my crockpot, my Showtime rotissierie, and my large, nonstick electric frying pan, not to mention my favorite of all - my stone grill out back on the patio.

I agree Revere ware is great stuff and I loved passing mine down to bow jr. when I decided to get what I always wanted for myself.

I have a set of Le Creuset - enameled cast iron. It was given to me by a woman that no longer could handle using cast iron everyday. I love it! The frying pan that came with it was beautiful - cast iron (no enamel) with a long wooden handle. Unfortunately, that pan split in two (long story) but I now have just a very old, well seasoned, cast iron skillet.

I just purchased a 6 qt crock pot - for those days when we get in late from rehearsals or track meets.....

I love my crockpot. It is great in the winter - throw stuff in it, turn it on, come home from work and dinner is done.

Also, if you slow cook a corned beef roast in one - the meat comes out so tender and juicy it almost falls apart. It is as good as anything you can find in a real Jewish deli!

Thank You so much for the pie crust recipe and tips ((((Suda)))) and ((((Java Jane)))))! I Looked on line for the Raspberry filling part. They have both cooked and uncooked.The uncooked is the same as making a strawberry pie. That is the one I think sounds the best.

I will never think of pans or kitchenware quite the same after this thread....Snooty pans and kitchenware seem the best as long as the cook puts the love in and not the snooty!

"Snooty pans and kitchenware seem the best as long as the cook puts the love in and not the snooty!"

And definitely not the snotty!

Edited by doojable

I love my crockpot. It is great in the winter - throw stuff in it, turn it on, come home from work and dinner is done.

Also, if you slow cook a corned beef roast in one - the meat comes out so tender and juicy it almost falls apart. It is as good as anything you can find in a real Jewish deli!

My husband LOVES it when I cook corned beef in the crock pot!! I glaze mine with spicy mustard mixed with a little bit of honey and some cloves. MMMMmmmmmMmmmmmmmm. It's good. And easy to clean up if you get those crock pot liners!

I have been a stick in the mud when it comes to frying pans. We have used iron frying pans forever, properly kept and oiled afetr use. But, I have been considering "going the other way" with some good stuff for me wife. What would be some really good cookware, frying pans included?

Everybody's doing it, doing it, doing it.

Picking their noses and chewing it, chewing it.

Thinking it's candy, candy,

But it's not.

A wee ditty I remember from childhood. We thought it was so naughty. My cousin got a whooping for singing it to the adults.

Suda

Edited by Suda

I'm not picky about much in the kitchen, but I can appreciate a good knife along with sharpening stones within hand's reach. My favorite frying pan is an old beat-up T-Fal teflon pan. My wife has nicer ones, but they don't work as well for me.

Question for you snooty pan owners:

Have you ever heard of or use/used Saladmaster waterless cookware?

I bought my set almost 30 years ago and it still works great and looks great.

(For years, I really didn't cook much, but have more in the past 12 years or so.)

What say the snooties??

I have been a stick in the mud when it comes to frying pans. We have used iron frying pans forever, properly kept and oiled afetr use. But, I have been considering "going the other way" with some good stuff for me wife. What would be some really good cookware, frying pans included?

Kitchenaide (sp) and Calphalone are both excellent choices according to MR. Snooty Pans. :biglaugh:

Mine is whatever was on sale at Target last year. Next year, it'll be whatever is on sale then.

I'd LOVE to use my cast iron skillet, but my house came with one of those fancy-dancy glasstop stoves that is NOT made for people who actually cook. :rolleyes: You can't use a cast iron skillet on it and it's extremely particular about the kind of pans you can use. Forget about using anything that's even the slightest bit warped on the bottom.

I can't wait to have a "normal" stove some day.... I doubt I'll start using snooty pans then, either, though. :biglaugh:

I'd LOVE to use my cast iron skillet, but my house came with one of those fancy-dancy glasstop stoves that is NOT made for people who actually cook. :rolleyes:

I agree that those stoves are a pain to work with - but they are great for ONE thing - and that is warming tortillas directly on the stovetop. But that is the ONLY thing I have found they are good for.

My snooty pan recommendations would be either Calphalon (I've never cooked with it, but would really like to try :biglaugh: ), or All Clad. Personally, I would go with non stick, but sometimes they don't give you the 'crusties' you want for a gravy.

On the subject of stoves, the electric sort bite the big one. Gas is the way to go for me (better heat control and all).

I had a cheap set of pans that I cooked with for many years, they held up fine and have a new second life to this day, but about ten years ago I started buying a new set of the enamel on steel Chantal pans. I had always admired the quality and decided to suck it up and start a set. I bought the chili red not only do they look great but they cook great. Of course I can only afford beans and weenies now to pay for them but what a job they do on those . :biglaugh:

Chantal

Edited by WhiteDove

• 2 months later...

Is cast iron considered "snooty"?

Since I'm more the indoor/outdoor type, my pans may not be snooty, but they're most definitely sooty. I love the old fashioned steel skillets with the long hollow handles as they won't burn your hand over a campfire, and nothing ever sticks in a well seasoned pan.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually make it to Michigan, like I've been wanting to do for years, and treat ol' Sushi to some deer sausage gravy cooked up in an old steel skillet with pancakes cooked over a campfire on the back of a shovel.

He'll never be the same again.