GreaseSpot Cafe

Baby Woolly Mammoth Found

Bolshevik

http://www.pr-inside.com/scientists-say-10...aby-r170210.htm

Whole mammoths are found every now and then. Some believe, via carbon dating, that the last of the woolly mammoths died out just 1500 years ago. Eskimos have been known to trade their tusks.

Canada, Alaska, and Siberia is a lot of territory. Anyone think they could still be around?

I think maybe climatic changes caused them to die off. Darwins idea of the survival of the fittest isn't that far off. They were probably a very strong animal, well suited to the cold but changes in the atmosphere was probably too much for them.

A few years back Rhienhold Messner went out to search for the Yeti's and supposedly found them and observed their community but I think his life long aspiration for hypoxia may have caused him to dream the whole thing. He wrote a book about his search. I know him from climbing as we shared a rope together years ago. He is a strange guy but he swears the Yeti live.

I think there's a remote possibility of their survival. They are listed as a cryptid. (Reports of sitings). Don't know how sparsely populated Siberia is with people, but it looks like a lot of room. They used to think there were only two species of elephant around. Now we know it's four. Maybe there is five or six.

Are they still around? Don't know. We are always finding parcles of land, even in this country, that no one ever goes to.

Saw a NGC show, last week I think, about a waterfall in Glacier National Park. It was written about in the 1800's--No one had ever been able to find it until just recently, they finally looked in the right place after flying over the park and looking for likely spots.

This is a park that is visted by thousands every year, with people hiking camping all over the place. Yet a waterfall, a non living object that doesn't roam around, remains "lost" for almost a 100 years.!

So for a herd of animals that has every reason to fear man and keep well out of his way to remain missing in Siberia or even the far north of Canada is not impossible.

Are the Wooly Mammoths still around? It's hard to say. In the 1920's and 1930's they said that reports of a certian type of fish, that had only been found in a fossileized state, were myths. but a guy in africa found out that fishermen on a fishing boat had brought back one that they netted.

Now they have found out that there are several hundred still living in deep water.

Also in Australia is a tree, in a remote valley that is a closely guarded secret. is also a tree that was supposed to have been extinct for several thousand years. The remote location had keept it from being found untill scientists that were doing a study in the valley stumbled accross the trees.

So are the Wooly Mammoths still alive???? Maybe, mabey not. I woun't know unless someone stumbles accross one and brings it in for show and tell.

In the 1920's and 1930's they said that reports of a certian type of fish, that had only been found in a fossileized state, were myths. but a guy in africa found out that fishermen on a fishing boat had brought back one that they netted.

Now they have found out that there are several hundred still living in deep water.

You must be talking about the "Coelacanth"

http://www.dinofish.com/

Are the Wooly Mammoths still around? It's hard to say. In the 1920's and 1930's they said that reports of a certian type of fish, that had only been found in a fossileized state, were myths. but a guy in africa found out that fishermen on a fishing boat had brought back one that they netted.

Also in Australia is a tree, in a remote valley that is a closely guarded secret. is also a tree that was supposed to have been extinct for several thousand years. The remote location had keept it from being found untill scientists that were doing a study in the valley stumbled accross the trees.

So are the Wooly Mammoths still alive???? Maybe, mabey not. I woun't know unless someone stumbles accross one and brings it in for show and tell.

It's different though, in that willy mammoths are huge and lived in areas that humans could find. Even if humans wouldn't find the mammoths themselves, there would be evidence of them if they were still around -- droppings, recently dead remains, footprints, evidence that they've eaten plants, etc.

In the case of that fish, they live in water deeper than we can easily see. There are lots of animals in the deep water that we don't know about yet, and the ones we are aware of we barely know anything about.

Also with bolshevik's example of elephant species being discovered, that type of situation is also different. With some animals, we think that there is one species, until further research indicates that we should break that up into two species. It's not that the elephants were just discovered, but rather that they were re-identified.

It's different though, in that willy mammoths are huge and lived in areas that humans could find. Even if humans wouldn't find the mammoths themselves, there would be evidence of them if they were still around -- droppings, recently dead remains, footprints, evidence that they've eaten plants, etc.

In the case of that fish, they live in water deeper than we can easily see. There are lots of animals in the deep water that we don't know about yet, and the ones we are aware of we barely know anything about.

Also with bolshevik's example of elephant species being discovered, that type of situation is also different. With some animals, we think that there is one species, until further research indicates that we should break that up into two species. It's not that the elephants were just discovered, but rather that they were re-identified.

What about the okapi? Was that a misidentified giraffe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okapi

What about the okapi? Was that a misidentified giraffe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okapi

They've been known by westerners for over 100 years. We didn't have satellites capable of, for example, a resolution of 4 inches, like we do now. There were also a lot less people, less communications, etc. back then, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Also, Okapi's are about horse size, they are not mammoth creatures. Their footprints and droppings could easily be mistaken for something else. Nothing known in the arctic leaves elephant-sized footprints.

Edited by Mister P-Mosh

They've been known by westerners for over 100 years. We didn't have satellites capable of, for example, a resolution of 4 inches, like we do now. There were also a lot less people, less communications, etc. back then, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Also, Okapi's are about horse size, they are not mammoth creatures. Their footprints and droppings could easily be mistaken for something else. Nothing known in the arctic leaves elephant-sized footprints.

You're no fun. :biglaugh:

Are these satellites run by big corporations or governments like our own?

You're no fun. :biglaugh:

Are these satellites run by big corporations or governments like our own?

Well, it's either post at GSCafe or fall asleep at my desk at work. :yawn1:

Also, those satellites are run by both, although supposedly the government ones are much better than what is publicly available. I've heard that they can spot things smaller than a quarter, but I don't know for sure. As for publicly available corporate satellite data, check out GeoEye for an example. Their Greenburg tornado images are pretty shocking, and can give you an indication of what the capabilities are, although not necessarily the highest resolution.

Also, those satellites are run by both, although supposedly the government ones are much better than what is publicly available. I've heard that they can spot things smaller than a quarter, but I don't know for sure. As for publicly available corporate satellite data, check out GeoEye for an example. Their Greenburg tornado images are pretty shocking, and can give you an indication of what the capabilities are, although not necessarily the highest resolution.

The computer I'm at doesn't have the necessary software right now.

I was thinking maybe Bin Laden is hiding in a mechanical mammoth.

Edited by Bolshevik

Mammoths have been sighted for hundreds of years,one of the earliest reports (16th century)describes a large elephantlike creature living somewhere out in siberia. According to the report the natives coveted the animal as a food source, and called it,in traslation, "mountain of meat". A more recent(1920) sighting from a French consulate in Valdivostock Russia tells of a detailed report of an encounter with mammoths in remote Siberia.

In a book by Ed Ferrrell, titled "Strange Stories of Alaska and the Yukon" many reports of mammoths are mentioned, including:

*1881-herd of live mammoths reported on upper Stikine River.

*Undated-people report "huge wooly beasts with horns like the trunks of birch trees" and "Puffs of steam issue from their nostrils like the escaped pipe of a steam boat."

*1889-Agent for the Alaska Fur and Commercial Company bought "fossil" ivory with decomposing flesh and blood attached. The natives he bought it from told him that they had found a herd of about 50 and had killed a cow and bull.

* 1903-Fresh mammoth tracks found and followed, no sightings made.

More on Alaskan mammoths;

Henry Turkmen wrote a fanciful story about an Indian he knew who killed a mammoth, and even the famed Jack London wrote a short story on the killing of a mammoth, entitled "A Relic of the Pleistocine".

The best evidence of surviving mammoths comes from Wrangle Island, off the coast of Siberia in the Chuckahi Sea, where bones of a pygmy(7 feet tall as opposed to the average 13) mammoths have been radiocarbon dated to be no more than 3,700-7,000 years old, which falls into the time early civilizations were in swing.

- entry provided by Ethan H. Touzjian

http://www.cryptozoology.com/glossary/glos...opic.php?id=258

Cool website.

I looked around in Alaska. No mammoths.

:biglaugh: