GreaseSpot Cafe

The Secret to a Holy Life by VP Wierwille

act2

As some of you know, I am listing many of my 'way things' on ebay. I sometimes look thru what I am about to list for ideas on what to put in the description.

Tonite, I was looking at 1988 Way Magazines. On the front inside cover of Jan/Feb, there is a statement, for lack of a better word, on :

The Secret To A Holy Life

The Secret to a holy life is to get your eyes off your own inadequacies and onto the Father and His glory. Our service is first and foremost to God and with God, not always to man.

To walk worthily is to walk with thanksgiving to God. The secret of a holy life is to walk with God first and foremost.

The secret of a holy life is not the labor we do, but just to love Him first and foremost. Then the work we do is not to be well-pleasing to Him, but because we already are.

-Victor Paul Wierwille

HUH????????????!!!!!!!!!! :asdf:

Please somebody explain this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by act2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our service is first and foremost to God and with God, not always to man.

To walk worthily is to walk with thanksgiving to God. The secret of a holy life is to walk with God first and foremost.

The secret of a holy life is not the labor we do, but just to love Him first and foremost. Then the work we do is not to be well-pleasing to Him, but because we already are.

-Victor Paul Wierwille

"It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is."

Bill Clinton, during his 1998 grand jury testimony

on the Monica Lewinsky affair

Does that help at all, Act 2??? :)

Edited by dmiller

I tried to break this down in as many ways as possible. What VPW said really sounds good but it almost means nothing.

The Secret to a holy life is to get your eyes off your own inadequacies and onto the Father and His glory.

The Secret of a holy life is to walk with God first and foremost.

The Secret of a holy life is not the labor we do, but just to love Him first and foremost.

Then the work we do is not to be well-pleasing to Him, but because we already are.

-Victor Paul Wierwille

Okay, so:

Stop looking at your own inadequacies (Just in case you wish you were the man you know to be ;))

Look to the Father and his Glory ( Okay - look)

Walk with God (But How?)

Love Him first and foremost - It's not the labor we do. :unsure:

SOooooo.....

Then because we are already pleasing to Him, the labor (work) we do is not to be well-pleasing to Him.

Sorry, but this sounds an awful lot like,

Love God, Love your neighbor and DO AS YOU DAMMN WELL PLEASE. You don't have to please God with your labor because you're so dang Holy and please Him, oh so much.

BIG SNORT? I think I need to hock up a luggie... <_<

Edited by doojable

dmiller and doojable,

LMAO!!!!!!

I read the statement, then read it again, and said to myself, "You need to start a thread with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Goodnite, y'all.

dmiller, do you recognize Bill Monroe???? :offtopic:

We do the works because we are well-pleasing to God, not in order to be.

When we love God as our first priority, the rest follows naturally.

That do the trick?

Actually, I think the way it should (accurately) read is:

We should want to be pleasing to Him because we love Him, and we live our lives accordingly.

This is the part that got me. Doesn't II Thessalonians 3:10 say that if any not work, neither should he eat. And I Corinthians 3:8 says Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labor.

With that...Can someone tell me how the work we do is not to be well-pleasing to Him, but because we already are? I think the Bible speaks for itself. The one thing I am thankful for is the TWI taught me how to research. It comes in handy when you read crap like that. :thinking:

This is the part that got me. Doesn't II Thessalonians 3:10 say that if any not work, neither should he eat. And I Corinthians 3:8 says Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labor.

With that...Can someone tell me how the work we do is not to be well-pleasing to Him, but because we already are? I think the Bible speaks for itself. The one thing I am thankful for is the TWI taught me how to research. It comes in handy when you read crap like that. :thinking:

Well, don't you know...

The secret to a HOLY LIFE is to get the Corps to do all the manual labor for you.

doojable

That was the case wasn't it................... :)

dmiller and doojable,

LMAO!!!!!!

I read the statement, then read it again, and said to myself, "You need to start a thread with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Goodnite, y'all.

dmiller, do you recognize Bill Monroe???? :offtopic:

Yup --- I recognized him right off the bat. Nice avatar!!

Been seen with him a time or two myself. ;)

BigTop.jpg

Edited by dmiller

Didn't He create us unto good works?

The greatest secret in the world today: how to avoid living a holy life but telling everyone else the Word of God is the will of God. <_<

Edited by T-Bone

All of you who have posted, including EYES, sorry I overlooked your post last nite, (I was tired from WORKING so hard!!),

Thanks for expounding the rightly-divided words of VPW to me. Mine eyes are now fully envisioned with what he said.

:confused:

Dave,

Which one are you in the picture?

My nephew played for Mr. Monroe for a while. He hated having to call him Mr. Monroe and wearing those outfits. :offtopic:

doojable, I need some holiness with Drambuie. What does Drambuie taste like anyway? I know what holiness tastes like....heehee....

I forgot to mention in the first post that this statement takes up the WHOLE PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!