GreaseSpot Cafe

Can we start a new topic

Outfield

QUOTE(Outfield @ Aug 9 2007, 09:22 PM)

I'm not getting blessed.

Yes you are. Renew your mind.

damn it oldies, you stole my post !!!!!!

see, even oldies and i are starting to think alike

hey outfield ;)

Can we start a new topic

NO !!!

ha you just did :)

--

hi toppie !!!!!!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey David thanks. That is indeed what I was thinking about. I wasn't a kid when that commercial was made though. It was cute and clever! Another gravy memory. In the corps they sometimes served us millet with gravy on it. It really wasn't too bad but sometimes it had an odd grayish color to it.

Boy Outfield, you got your request! This is definitely a different topic :)

Anyone want to share some fun meals they had in the Way?

bulger wheat comes to mind

ummmm

maybe fig pep

too much fun ?

---

Edgar Cayce recommended a product known as Syrup of Figs in about 100 readings, primarily as a natural intestinal stimulant. This delicious syrup is a source of instant energy and increased endurance.

thank you edgar, but why was i always so tired in the corps program ?

"Fun Meals"

OMG!

In Fellowlaborers, we only had red meat once a week. (When we were lucky)

All breakfasts and suppers were pre-planned and portion controlled.All 50 of us had to prepare and eat exactly the SAME thing at the SAME location, at the SAME time.(6 to a house/8 houses.)

Using proper "Christian Etiquette" as defined by the book by the same title.

Here are some of the really "groovy" things we ate:

Oat groats( what the heck are they, anyway?)

Wheat berries ( ditto to above)

Stone milled oats

Flax seeds---LOTS of flax seeds(gotta keep those innards oiled, doncha know)

Home grown sprouts( with almost every meal)

Mush, mush, and more mush

Millet, millet, millet, millet and , of course, the ever popular------millet!

But, there were also the exotic dishes, too.

Things like:

"Meatza" Pie

Rice Pizza( sorry, dmiller, no pineapple or Canadian bacon)

Broccoli surprise

Potato soup with home made croutons (fancy word for burnt toast)

And last but least-----Wilted Swiss chard---Yum!, Yum!

Oh yeah, and that bulgar wheat stuff which we called VULGAR WHEAT! nicely displayed and served "swimming" in a bowl of fig poop.

<_<

What are these?

(in reference to meatza pie and rice pizza)

Meatza pie was supposed to be pizza that had a crust made out of ground meat.(precooked)

Rice pizza had a crust made out of boiled rice.

Not too bad, actually.

Sorry, can't help you with recipe or prep details as I was always a "breakfast detail" person.

There aren't very many Fellowlaborers who post here because our numbers were never very big to start with.(maybe 250 at the most, at least in Ohio.)

There are a few, though, and maybe they remember details.

Anyone want to share some fun meals they had in the Way?

I remember a meal that we cooked as WOWs out of Dorothy Owens's cook book. It was called "Cheaped Chicken".I can't remember how it was done, but when we finished it, it was supposed to be "cheaped" by then. I do remember that it was good though, because we were always hongry!

Another meal I remember that almost killed our WOW family was pinto beans. I had met a Mexican guy by the name of Tomas Montanya. This was in South Central LA. He invited me to his house, which was very very small, and there were about seven of his brothers, sisters, and cousins living there together. Thomas lived in the garage on a couch. Anyway, when I was introduced, his sister, Graciella, went into the kitchen, scopped out a bowl of pinto beans that had been cooked with pork, jalapenos, and some other delicious spices and handed it to me. Then she warmed up about five corn tortillas for me and handed me those wrapped in two paper towels to keep them warm. And, I gobbled it all within a short period of time. Oh man! It was better than good! It was the food of the gods! I asked them what kind of beans they were, and later, Thomas showed me at the grocery store what to guy. And so, for very cheap, I bought about eight pounds of dry pinto beans, a stack of corn tortillas, some jalapenos, and took it all home to the girls and the other guy in our WOW family. I didn't have enough $ for any meat though. And when I went in the door, and pronounced that "our starvation problems are over! We have Beans! Beans and tortillas!"

And so, I commenced to cookin'. And when they were close to ready (and this was a large pot of them), our mouths were watering. And when it was done, we feasted! It was grand! God had saved us with pinto beans! About two hours later, the farts started in. And it was bad. They all (the girls in particular) weren't too happy about the side effects, but I told them to relax, and that if we would just stick with it and eat them very regularly, we would be like Thomas's family who didn't seem to fart at all. And so, we ate them steadily for about a week. And it was bad man, bad! But we did have lots of laughs, farting copiuosly and not having inhibitions about it, waiting for that time when we would no longer have gas and that all would subside.

But, that time never came. It just got worse and worse. And the girls got madder at me. And our BC, a sixth corps gal named Nancj Jo came by once and had to go immediately back outside for air. And then she told us that maybe we had better stop "eatin them beans" or God would never send anyone to our fellowship! Gosh you guys!" And we all laughed, and it was funny. But we did cut back on them pinto beans. The reason they were so good you see, is because when you mush 'em up a bit after they are done, there forms a real nice GRAVY that really is awesome.

Beans and Gravy anyone?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny!!!

Ya got me in stitches, as usual.

I almost said your story was a "real gas" but "backed" out at the last moment.

Dude, ya gotta soak 'em over night to "eliminate" that problem!

Yup. Learnt that in Fellowlaborers.( but not right away!)

Hmmmm!--- Maybe something good "came out" of it after all.

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny!!!

Ya got me in stitches, as usual.

I almost said your story was a "real gas" but "backed" out at the last moment.

Dude, ya gotta soak 'em over night to "eliminate" that problem!

Yup. Learnt that in Fellowlaborers.( but not right away!)

Hmmmm!--- Maybe something good "came out" of it after all.

Well now Waysider,

We were Hongry! We didn't have time to soak 'em overnight! I'd learned that from that from one of my WOW cousins (some one in a different branch in Los Angeles), and she warned me, but.....We couldn't wait! We were starving! And even though once our hunger was satiated, I still never soaked 'em. I just boiled the crap out of 'em until they were nice and tasty. And later, we added chicken, beef, and pork, and man oh man, it's still somethin' I love to this day...

Those Meskins know how to eat good food!

"Some more beans, Mister Taggart?"

"I think you boys have had enough!"

WW, what movie was that from? Blazing Saddles?

Yes, and they got letters and things complaining about that scene.

Mel Brooks said he never could accept cowboy movies where they ate beans and drank black coffee

and NOBODY ever had gas...

Thanks Bullwinkl. Kinda funny that. But, there was no fart scene there. The Blazing Saddles scene had a bunch of guys around the fire farting it up.

And so, was "Bad Bob" Alex Karras who played Mungo in Blz Sadddles? I wouldn't think so, because "Mungo" was huge! He (Alex Karras) was actually a Washington Redskin, if I am not mistaken...