GreaseSpot Cafe

Who are we?

cman

What we see on the outside is not who we are.

What exactly happened in Genesis.

The 6 days that God did this-

26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

and also this-

Chapter 2

1Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

4These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 5And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. 6But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. 7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Done by the Lord God.

Seems to be worth looking into.........

I mean , it's done twice.

1. in his own image

2. a living soul

In His Image and a Living Soul; with His word to understand and know Him! Born Again of His Spirit! Awesome! To be able Live now and throughout eternity; Is it any wonder that we need a lifetime to grasp, appreciate and somewhat understand all that God has given us? We were so awesomely made that no man throughout all the ages yet can understand it all!

nice one, cman

here it is again...

who are we?

we have a body, but are we our body?

if so, who is Witnessing our body?

if I AM witnessing my body, how can i merely be my body?

are we our thoughts?

if so, who is Witnessing our thoughts?

if I AM witnessing my thoughts, how can i merely be my thoughts?

likewise...

are we our emotions?

are we our memories?

are we our dreams?

if so, who is Witnessing all these things?

who is this invisible Witness of all things?

if i find a self that has form...i must ask again...who is the Witness of this me i have found?

right here..right now

"I AM" is one of the very oldest answers...when we see from "the other side of God's face" as Abraham might say

"oh my God, you must be kidding" is a common response

Edited by sirguessalot

hi WB.

no, I havent read that one. But I am somewhat familiar with the term "radical acceptance," the author's colleagues and their practices.

btw..what i posted previously is my own off-the-cuff improv version of what is known as "pointing out instructions"

...which is basically a process for self-inquiry based on what i have come to understand as being very very old art forms

interesting to see how it might relate to those Genesis passages cman posted

perhaps another way to point it out using cman's selection

who are we?

i am aware of being the body of a man now, having been formed of the dust and the clay...

...but if we are aware of it...then who are we? where are we?

i am aware of the breath of life that moves through my nostrils, my lungs, my blood....

...but if we are aware of this...then who are we? where are we?

i am aware of the masculine and feminine energies and realities that make up my self, languages, physics...

...but if we are aware of this...then who are we? where are we?

i am aware of that i am created in the imagination of God, as the imagination of God...

...but if we are aware of this...then who are we? when are we?

if I AM the witness of my body of dust...

if I AM the witness of my breath of life...

if I AM the witness of my imagination of God...

...who is this witness i cannot find?

...what is this witness made of?

...and where is this witness located RIGHT NOW as i read this page?

Edited by sirguessalot

Sirg, no doubt the body is looking at dust and the mind looks at the body and thoughts look at the mind and what it's thinking, and more higher thoughts are checking out those thoughts. Continuing to an ever widening circle of understanding and enlightenment as it's all being processed and realized.

How deep into the universe can we till?

cman, your question (and this thread) reminds me of (at least) this section from the letter to the Ephesians 3...

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

i cant help but notice that this section is describing a deeply contemplative position..and/or the results of a lifestyle of contemplation

...something which most modern mainstream bibledom is unfamiliar with ... and oftentimes taught to be downright fearful of

yet, without some sort of regular contemplative type activity in life...we are much less able to dislodge our sense of self from objects

...such as bodies, feelings, thoughts, possessions, objectified others, etc...

like taking steps backward without moving your body...following that path of wider, longer, deeper, higher subjective comprehension

...relaxing backwards into your deeper self ... layer by layer by layer til we are indeed at a place that is quite easily described as beyond thought ..yet sees

it seems quite clear to me that phrases like "Abraham's rest" and "the Witness" are based on such experiences

we are "caught up into heaven" but not because our body has moved..but because the seat from which we view our body has

that "seat" from where one views creation is no longer on the surface of self...or even hidden/buried/lost in the shadows of our inward self

but is rather "rooted and grounded" in that radical nested feminine motherly agape love ... were she broods on the face of the deep like a dove ...

what would it be like to view the universe from Genesis 1?

and what if Genesis 1 is always already still occuring within each of us?

hm..i just came across this older thread on Inward Paths that found some decent traction

Edited by sirguessalot

Proverbs 20:27

The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD,

searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Psalms 18:28

For thou wilt light my candle:

the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.

i haven't read anything else, but i will, but for now i gotta' go

i did want to say the above made me weep

love,

Cman

Som and Wrds and Wrks had some insight on this I believe.

I will send her a pm and see if she has any insight, but I believe SOM had some really big insight on WHO we are.

Great topic

Hi, Cman and SirGuess, If I'm following what you're saying that the real "you" is not your body or mind but it's an eternal spirit, created in the image and likeness of God.

Those two verses really express it well...

If I'm following what you're saying that the real "you" is not your body or mind but it's an eternal spirit, created in the image and likeness of God.

yeah...that's a part of one very good way to put it

in my experience and opinion, the bible is as much about discovering one's own identity, ego, self and "the real you/me/us"

as it is about "knowing the truth" about a mythic/rational/theoretical God (or Jesus or angels or demons, etc...)

i would even go as far as to say that those 2 sections in proverbs and psalms touch an even smaller part of it all

...a very important and initial peek through a very tiny keyhole

and in this sense...the "presence of the spirit of God" is NOT an object that comes and goes...but a subject that is already always right here right now in us

...and a subjective position that we can and do wake up to in stages ... though we can also sleepwalk in Spirit all our life, like a fish who does not know it is wet

which is part of why i have come to appreciate and prefer practicing, talking about (and pointing to) a very direct experience of a constant present God,

more than talking about a God who exists at some distance, or in some past, or in some future, or as some form or figure in the mind, etc...

imo, this is perhaps the most important spiritual milk that we not only lack, culturally

...but have even come to be quite suspicious of and/or hostile to

as if when we say "in God is no darkness" we actually mean "God does not exist in darkness" (?how can something be outside of an everpresent God?)

while all along we weep and gnash at the darkness outside of our self...oblivious to what hides in shadows under a thin layer of dust within

Edited by sirguessalot

yet another way to see "who we are" ... using more of a rational language-set:

- approximate self = our general subjective position at any given point in our life...our approximate "sense of" self ... the largest portion of this self-sense as we might be summarized...allows for a lot of variables of self that are outside of this portion (such as having higher intelligence and lower morals, or low charisma and high morals, etc...)

- distant self - the subject that has become an object... such as when we talk about our selves in the past, or as a body, an emotion, a thought, a dream, etc.... ("carnal self," etc)

- antecedent self - the witness and ground of all subjects, objects, actions, memories, etc...the ineffable experiencer of every sense of self ("Godhead" etc)

- shadow - the part of the self we cant see, wont look at, are addicted to, project outward, or have somehow forgotten ("the Devil" etc)

...perhaps the most important self of them all to address (for the sake of our poor neighbors...but also for positive reasons)

note: each of these "corners" of the altar of self are developing (or not) along a chain of many steps

...and depths and degrees of self vary wildly, though we tend to be attracted to friends and enemies who are alike or somehow support our current approximate position

heerza cool animated music video that touches a lot of this kinda stuff: "Dig" by Incubus

Edited by sirguessalot

don't know what i can say more...

the inner path to the inner man

been right there all along...many paths...

a power greater then ourselves is within ourselves

all over the bible and life and writings of many

all in all, i mean to practically see and do something with it

it's evidenced in ourselves

in seeing the wind within, one can ride it

they have all one breath

i remember when my son was about 4 years old and in daycare. something happened one day that really upset him (i can't remember what), but he came home and told me about it, and he said to me, "I said in my head, mommy, help." my heart like twisted in all kinds of ways and i thought about how he felt i was part of him and he could talk to me inside himself....

Edited by excathedra

i remember when my son was about 4 years old and in daycare. something happened one day that really upset him (i can't remember what), but he came home and told me about it, and he said to me, "I said in my head, mommy, help." my heart like twisted in all kinds of ways and i thought about how he felt i was part of him and he could talk to me inside himself....

wow

thats a real gem

reminds me of that video, too

• 2 weeks later...

Sir Guess,

In the video, does the guy die? It looks like there's blood all around him after the girl gets into his brain. And the lyrics say "we'll have each other when everything else is gone". Everything ... like ... life? If there is no life, then what?

I thought it was sorta eerie. It left me questioning the meaning.

Had I not watched it in the context of this thread, my interpretation would have been this:

In a relationship, if one person digs so deep to find every detail of the mechanism that runs the other person ... then the other person essentially dies. He has no identity of his own any more. He is just a head - has no body, no movement, no drive. And then the mystery of partnering with another spirit, the intimacy of connection without absorption ... becomes impossible ... because one has invaded the other and plundered his soul.

It's like in the classic wedding vows - "to HAVE and to hold". Not a good idea, to HAVE someone else. And that's what the lyrics said: "we'll HAVE each other", followed by "when everything else is gone".

Sorry. I'm very visual in my thinking, and I didn't like the concept of one person digging into someone else's brain.

hi Shifra

yeah...i think i really get what yer saying about one-way fusions in relationships

tho i dont think that is what the musicians/artist are trying to say at all

'comraderie' is a word the band used to (lightly) describe the reason for the song

and they seem very much open to people finding their own meanings

imho, the metaphors are quite rich and appropriate...offering many layers of meaning and interpretation

especially as it pertains to the nature of the interior self, friendships and ego-trips and such

but sadly...i think my days of trying to converse via message boards like this is coming to a close

so plz forgive if i fade away from the thread

in waves...

+ODD