• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(((((((( many hugs neo ))))))))

is your last name sporin ?

mwah

love,ex

HeheheheheheheheheAwwwhahahahahahaAwwwhehehehehe...Oh...hehehehe..

Thanks exie I needed that!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

So, is this thread simmering down enough to hear the last half of Corinthians?

I can hardly remember all that I covered earlier, so I imagine the context loss is even greater elsewhere.

I know there's a checklist out there ready to be pasted in, but does anyone remember my truck-stop apt-daptation of the two Corinthian letters and it's relationship to I Cor 3:17?

An adage is a familiar and/or popular saying.

It's a common expression, unlike "the sins of the teacher do not negate the truth in the teachings", which is not an expression that I personally recognize as being either familiar to many people or commonly used by the general populace.

An adage is not some sort of profound statement of wisdom and truth.

Here are two adages that are at opposite ends of the spectrum:

1. Birds of a feather flock together.

2. Opposites attract.

Which adage is the provable one?

Furthermore, it's one heck of a stretch of reality to suggest that VPW was on some sort of parallel with Dr. King.

I'm late in replying...still trying to catch up, but both are truisms.

The following verses are from The New Knoxville Gnostics Study Bible, The Skewed Life Translation:

Exodus 20: 14

Thou shalt not commit alleged adultery.

Matthew 16:6

Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the alleged leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the alleged way, the alleged truth, and the alleged life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me [allegedly].

I Corinthians 5:1

It is commonly alleged that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as alleged among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

T-Bone,

NOW THAT WAS A BIG CHEW! :biglaugh:

I can hardly remember all that I covered earlier, so I imagine the context loss is even greater elsewhere.

I know there's a checklist out there ready to be pasted in, but does anyone remember my truck-stop apt-daptation of the two Corinthian letters and it's relationship to I Cor 3:17?

You still have not answered my response to your post. My response is on page 37, post #725.

You still have not answered my response to your post. My response is on page 37, post #725.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....*wipes eyes*

Bride dear,

Mike asks many more questions than he answers. He is waiting for someone to ASK (read "beg") him to give us his insight. He wants to make sure your not some sow's ear that he's gonna try to make a silk purse out of.

That's probably because you haven't really covered anything related to my questions in post # 423. Mike, I'm not buying your absent-minded professor shtick.

It reminds me of the same antics you've pulled on the PFAL threads. This is what I was referring to in my post # 613 about smoke and mirrors:

...I'm tempted to pull an old TWI stunt and answer a question with a question – "Mike, are you kidding?" …But seriously Mike, in all your verbosity you have not addressed any of the seven items. I'm sorry – but it seems like you're trying to pull a fast one. Are you familiar with the term "smoke and mirrors"? Here's Wikipedia's definition:

Smoke and mirrors is a metaphor for a deceptive, fraudulent, or insubstantial explanation or description. The source of the name is based on magician's illusions, where magicians make objects appear or disappear by extending or retracting mirrors amid a confusing burst of smoke. The expression may have a connotation of virtuosity or cleverness in carrying out such a deception.

Mike, why don't you just handle my questions ONE at a time - in a simple and straight forward manner.

See my example below, just answer ONE of my questions in post # 423 and respond in a different color below that [in this example YOUR response is indicated in bold blue]:

1. Explain how the current translation(s) of I Corinthians 3:17 contradicts the previous verses [verses 5-16]

Mike's response: Here's how the current translations of I Corinthians 3:17 contradict what's said in the previous verses 5-16, blah blah blah blah blah.

2. Explain how the current translation(s) of I Corinthians 3:17 contradicts itself

3. Identify the one improperly translated word in I Corinthians 3:17 and

4. Demonstrate the correct method of translating the passage

5. Explain how the correct translation you suggest - changes the tone of the verse from condemning to warm and soothing

6. Explain how I Corinthians 3:17 correctly translated by you, furthers a deeper understanding of Galatians 5

7. Explain the connection to forgiveness in I Corinthians 3: 5-17.

After you state your case, go on to the next item.

Edited by T-Bone

Mike, why don't you just handle my questions ONE at a time - in a simple and straight forward manner.

I think that would be unacceptable, T-Bone. To handle all your questions in a forward and straight forward manner would not allow Mike to be the emcee of this thread.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....*wipes eyes*Bride dear, Mike asks many more questions than he answers. He is waiting for someone to ASK (read "beg") him to give us his insight. He wants to make sure your not some sow's ear that he's gonna try to make a silk purse out of.
I do believe my request was perfectly reasonable, and T-Bones' too...I'm guessing he knows that he has put forth an exegetical fallacy by saying that there is acontradiction in 3:17. While "de" would be better translated as "but" rather than "and", pinpointing that out alone is majoring in the minors. But if he has someneat insight....then the body of Christ is waiting.
post-3206-1204513907.gif

It REALLY IS a warm and soothing verse, HONEST. I can show you how if you want to see it. There's a little translation problem.

Whereupon hearing these words, waysider thought, "Yea, verily, would that thou couldst showest me this translation problem of which thou speakest?"

The Christ in us yearns to love supernaturally above and beyond reason.

Pray tell, dearest brother, where mightest I find it written that the Christ in us yearns for us to love with a supernatural love that goes above and beyond reason?

Edited by waysider

I do believe my request was perfectly reasonable, and T-Bones' too...

They were. But you do see how many teases you were given already, don't you?

But if he has some neat insight....then the body of Christ is waiting.

tap, tap, tap...

I'll be quiet. It may be my doubt that is causing him to not answer.

They were. But you do see how many teases you were given already, don't you?

tap, tap, tap...

I'll be quiet. It may be my doubt that is causing him to not answer.

It hasn't been just my fingers tapping, Dooj, but my foot as well. I guess its a good thing

there's this cyber SPACE between us so that I can't do a drop kick. Ahh Well. But its

not your doubt that prevents him from answering, but a lack of ability in presenting his

supposed Scriptural mistranslations.

Hang in there folks. When the time is available to me I will post on the second half of I Cor 3.

When the weather is good I must work. When it rains I have a lot more posting time.

Maybe tonight.

Meanwhile, since the material in I Cor 3 seems to be new to so many here, I suggest reading that chapter in as many different versions as possible. Get a feel for how Paul was feeling as he wrote it and how the Corinthians might have received it.

You might even try blocking out verse 17 for some readings just to see for yourself how it contradicts and disrupts the flow of the chapter when it's traditional translation is allowed.

Edited by Mike

name='Mike' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:29 PM' post='400821']

Hang in there folks. When the time is available to me I will post on the second half of I Cor 3.

When the weather is good I must work. When it rains I have a lot more posting time.

Maybe tonight.

Meanwhile, since the material in I Cor 3 seems to be new to so many here, I suggest reading that chapter in as many different versions as possible. Get a feel for how Paul was feeling as he wrote it and how the Corinthians might have received it.

You might even try blocking out verse 17 for some readings just to see for yourself how it contradicts and disrupts the flow of the chapter when it's traditional translation is allowed.

post-3206-1204575234.gif

Mike

Where can I find this information in "the orange book"?

I mean, if it's not in there, how can I trust that it's accurate?

After all, God surely wouldn't give VPW revelation, the likes of which the world hasn't known for 2,000 years, and leave this stuff out, right?

Maybe tonight.

I am intrigued Mike. Someone do a rain dance so we can move forward here!

Mike

Where can I find this information in "the orange book"?

I mean, if it's not in there, how can I trust that it's accurate?

After all, God surely wouldn't give VPW revelation, the likes of which the world hasn't known for 2,000 years, and leave this stuff out, right?

We were urged in the class to study the epistles which were written to us, even to spend three months on them exclusively. It seems not everyone did their homework. This is my constant theme here: that we cannot blame the teachers for our lack of knowledge if we did not do the homework. IT seems that BOTH the collaterals and our KJVs did not get as thoroughly and throughly researched as things get researched here.

Mike, don't take this wrong.. I'm not being malevolent or anything..

but what if in a moment of time, you found everything you thought you believed, or rather, everything you conditioned yourself to believe to be wrong..

Edited by Ham