GreaseSpot Cafe

Silly Little Things

TheHighWay

I left twi seven years ago. I believe I've pretty much unraveled the bowl of spaghetti and figured out what I do and do not believe on the big issues. So what do I find bothering me now? Silly little things! Those practical little life lessons that I now wonder about...

For instance, this morning I walked across a patch of frozen grass and Howard Allen's voice popped into my head admonishing me that I had just crushed that grass and that when it thawed there would be brown footprints where I had trod. He would tell us this every winter to keep us from crossing the fields at HQ. Does anyone have a clue if this is true? I grew up in a Northern climate and for the life of me, don't remember seeing brown footprint marks on the new spring grass!! It makes no sense to me: the grass goes dormant in the cold and brand new blades grow up in the spring... what the heck was Howard talking about???

What (if any) stupid little teachings bother you these days?

I forgot to remember so many of those things.... :biglaugh:

I do remember this one thing though:

When I was at HQ, someone taught that you should always buy only whole chickens. Apparently if a chicken has cancer or some other disease, only the infected part is cut out and not sold - the rest becomes "parts." :unsure: :o

Everything else ...well... I may have heard it, but I've slept since then! ;)

Edited by doojable

well how in the heck do you know if the whole chicken you are buying doesn't have some infected parts?

WG, I still struggle every time I change the sheets with what is the 'right way' to put on the fitted sheet... my mom seems to have solved this by putting a safety pin on one corner so that she always knows... but how did she figure it out in the first place?

I had heard that about the footprints and have walked across grass that was frozen... but I heard it at a golf course as to why they waited until the greens thawed on cold mornings before they let you go play... but then by the time spring came around I always forget where to look...

Man, I feel stupid... I didn't know there was a right and wrong way to put on fitted sheets... Guess I wasn't listening that day...

I just put them on whichever way seemed to fit best...(I think some have the stretchy part on the ends and some have the stretchy part on the sides).

----------------------------------

Well, okay... maybe the grass thing makes sense if you are talking the first few frosty mornings as fall turns into winter, where the grass is still not dormant??

But hey, once winter sets in (especially in NK,OH) that grass DEAD GONE people. It's ALL brown!!

Edited by TheHighWay

with fitted sheets it is important if you tuck in your blankets and/or have a bed skirt for the bed to look tight and neat.

lesson you have two pieces of elastic around the sheet , one is shorterthan the other. the short side go across the top and bottom of the bed the longer elastic goes along the sides of the bed.

you can either check the elastic or look after you put it on the bed and see if the sides of the mattress are peeking out.

why check so the entire mattress will be covered by cloth. it saves the mattress and looks much better than having the mattress half hanging out naked.

If you have vertical stripes on the sheets they go vertical up and down from top to bottom on the bed not Across the bed.

a nice looking made bed makes the room really doesnt it?

I do not think that is true about the grass dying if you step on it in the winter.

We had cows when i was a kid and they went out doors and walked around on the grass all winter, come spring they always had grass to eat on the ground, no one seeded it it just grew back on its own. a cow weighs about a 1/2 ton if that doesnt leave hoof prints in the spring nothing will and i played in the pasture and never saw any in the spring. yet plenty of grass grew every year.

:huh: There's a right way to put on a fitted sheet?

Now, Mama taught be how to make "hospital corners" with the flat sheet, but as I got older, I figured if you just shoved enough of it under the mattress so that it was not visible sticking out from under the comforter, it was all good. :biglaugh:

Let's see.... my ex was "trained" at hq and our carpet had to be vacuumed so that there were those annoying little triangles all over the place. I grew up where vacuuming so as to not leave any tracks was a good job.

The coffee pot handle, the coffee mug handle and the spoon had to all be facing the same way.

The dishwasher had to be loaded with all the spoons, forks, knives, etc. all in their own little slot - no mingling the silverware.

Don't even get me started on the proper way to clean the bathroom...

These are all teachings that came down from his learning at hq. :confused:

Oh Dooj... you inspired me:

OCD Paradise (sung to the tune of Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise)

As I walked through the valley of the shadow of death

I took a look at my life and realized there was nothing left

‘Cause I'd been preachin’ and reachin’ so long that

Even my mama thought that my mind was gone

Though I ain't never disobeyed the leadership’s orders

I was treated like a punk (you know that's the Word of …)

“You better watch how you act now, and where you lack now

Or you and your fam’ly might be spiritually whack”

I really hate to leave, but I gotta drop

They say cop-out cuz they just don’t know how to stop, fool

(They say)

They’re the kinda Leaders little homies wanna be like

In the Word every day

Sayin' prayers in the twi-way

[chorus]

Been spending most our lives

Living in OCD Paradise

We thought it made us wise

Living in OCD Paradise

Believing all their lies

Living in OCD Paradise

We’ve really paid the price (for)

Living in OCD Paradise

Forget the situation, they got me facin’

I can live a normal life, tho I was raised at the feet

They said I had to be down with twi’s God team

Too much abundant livin’ watchin' got me chasin’ dreams

I was an educated fool, with the Word on my mind

Had the Book in my hand and a gleam in my eye

I was Advanced Class, Wow Vet, and even went Way Corps,

And my homies was down, so it was all paid for, fool

(But now)

Life seems nothing but a heart beat away

I'm livin free do-or-die ah, what can I say?

I was twenty-three then, but now I’m forty-fo!

Oh, how much I have changed and I’ve grown…

Tell me why are we -- so blind to see

That the ones we hurt -- are you and me

[chorus]

Power and the money, money and the power

Minute after minute, hour after hour

Everybody's running, but most of them ain't lookin

What's goin on in the kitchen, they don't know what's cookin

They say I must be weak, won’t let nobody teach me

If I refuse to understand it, how can they reach me?

I guess they can't -- I guess they won't

I guess they frontin that's why they think my life is out of luck, fool

[chorus]

ah ah ah ah ah ah

Let's see.... my ex was "trained" at hq and our carpet had to be vacuumed so that there were those annoying little triangles all over the place. I grew up where vacuuming so as to not leave any tracks was a good job.

The coffee pot handle, the coffee mug handle and the spoon had to all be facing the same way.

I worked so hard to forget these things!!! only THW's beautiful song prevented me from curling into a fetal position and whimpering.

The dishwasher had to be loaded with all the spoons, forks, knives, etc. all in their own little slot - no mingling the silverware.
wtf they get cleaner that way don't they ?

fitted sheets ? just make sure those little roses are facing in the right direction

well depends on which way you sleep i guess

this is hilarious

I mix my silverware on purpose to prevent nesting of spoons and forks because they DO NOT get clean when they nest. someone's OCPD trickled down the way tree too far.

Well, there's nothing better'n cheap chicken. Cheap chickens ROCK! Likewise cheap turkeys.

Best deal we've found is a turkey breast. All meat, no bones.

In most cases whole birds are cheaper, but you get the bones, the backs and other parts that make great stock but if you're not talkin' stock, the meat's what you want. So the whole bird versus price is relative I think.

Winter grass in Ohio? That must be stuff under 3 feet of snow. Walking on the grass in Wayworld was a no-no though as I recall. Figure you get 100 people marching around across the lawn to shortcut their way to the BRC all that freshly mowed green will get torn up. Bad karma. In 50 years no one'll get blessed. Bad bongoes.

Edited by socks

• 3 months later...

You won't believe this.... after all these years of wondering... this morning I saw a set of footprints in the grass!!

Brown, shoe-shaped patches of grass crossing through the corner of an otherwise verdent field of new spring growth.

The old dude was right!!

I remember having to clean the base of the toilet with a toothbrush so that demons wouldn't be attracted to live there,

after all, they might make a grab for my feet.

My husband fusses about walking on winter grass, but it all eventually grows back, seems to me.

The fitted sheet doctrine: I was keeping this woman's two little boys after school and once it just so happened that I was making a bed. Now I generally put the corners on on one side, then walk around and do the other side. Not so, said my small accuser. It is proper, logical, and appropriate to put the upper right hand corner on first, then the lower left corner, then the upper left corner, then the lower right corner.

These are the same two young men of God who reproved me for improper folding of bath towels. I was putting the short ends together, doubling that, then folding the ensuing four-folded towel into thirds, so it kind of looked like a large Kellogg's Mini-Wheat. This was close to possession. One is to lay the sheet flat on the floor and fold it the long way into thirds. This columnar fold is then folded in upon itself into thirds. No other way will do; never mind the mini-wheats fit on the narrow shelf better.

I just thought it was sad these two kids, children of two WC grads, were so rigid in their thinking at such young ages. The older one looked me in the eye with pitying contempt: "Don't you even know how to properly fold a bath towel?" he asked.

In retrospect I should have politely explained this is my house, my towel and my linen closet, and one more question in that tone of voice will produce my hand on your legalistic little behind. But this couple, especially the woman, were so intimidatingly sure of their own perfection, they didn't want anyone to suggest their children could be human as well.

Sad. They have both graduated high school now. I wonder whatever happened to them; their parents are still "in."

WG

Edited by Watered Garden