GreaseSpot Cafe

Civil discourse and staying on topic

GrouchoMarxJr

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a gun for shooting studs like you. HaHa!! No, it's a gun that shoots studs, like these little nail thingies.

I mentioned that cuz Danny and I worked together on remodeling the rec room at Rome City, and we used a stud gun for a lot of the work. He, being in the building trades, wields one much better than I can.

Are you yankin' my chain? You really didn't know what a stud gun was?

Glad to see that some folks are responding to this thread...I think there's some good imput here.

The thought occurred to me that the future of the GSC would be "more enhanced" if there was less personal bickering.

Maybe a special forum should be created (yes, I said created), to accomodate those who like to sling doo doo at each other...kind of like a mud wrestling forum...anytime a post gets out of hand, it could be "sent" there...People could go there and start threads with such titles as "Garth's breath smells like chitlins"...or "Rumrunner wears pink slippers"...and people could go at each other!

The rest of the forums could be more civil!!!

just a passing thought... :biglaugh:

They do have the soap box forum where threads end up when they get to personal like you describe.

i think it like a banishment and only members can get in there! guest cant read them once they go down ther so it is a shame.

i do not believe posters write a post and say Im gonna get into a rip roaring debate that is personal with that guy.

if they did your idea would work great.

it just escalates to that point.

and I think some posters have been hurt or in rage about a topic on another thread and their emotions about that poster rides them (sometimes for yearsI have seen) and they are quick to go nuts with them where if it was another poster the same words would not have such a reaction.

some of the posters have been going at it for years. how does one stop hard feelings? Geez if anyone has an answer for that I need to know in my life for more than just this forum and it would help my life alot.

I was wondering how long my thread about avoiding bickering with each other would devolve into people bickering with each other... :spy:

OK...pretend I'm an imaginary referee...pond and Rascal...take it to the mudwrestling forum!...The rest of us don't want to read you two defending yourselves against each other!...it contributes nothing to the discussion at hand. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, you are subjecting the rest of us to a "side show" that we would rather not see. Obviously, pond and Rascal have conflicting opinions...and that's fine...BUT, it's rude to deviate from a public discussion and turn it into a personal confrontation...THIS is exactly what I am talking about!...so there!

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

This stuff starts when people get the notion that they are being unfairly attacked and feel that they have "the right to defend themselves"...

Rascal...instead of responding to pond's post, why not report it to the moderators? ...and remain silent...take the high road.

pond...instead of using rascal as an example of your "perspective", why not say "certain people" and avoid the personal attack?

Mr. Hammeroni thinks the one who began the thread should police it, and that would work if all had the same amount of time and devotion dedicated to typing on the puter and can sit here for days on end and comment, most do not have that type of life!

Pond, I think it would just work BETTER. Especially if the subject is emotionally charged.. or controversial.

One of the few topic starters that I can think of who employ this method is Roy. No, he doesn't rule his threads with a rod of iron or anything.. but he RESPONDS to practically every single contribution.

And his threads are effective. They tend to stay on topic..

The other poster is Satori. The few threads he started, he seems to reply to the contributions and incorporate their relevance to the subject at hand. Or point out the lack therof..

Other threads are more specific, and just don't leave much room to get off topic.

I don't think it takes days on end.. nursemaiding a computer or anything.. just a little attention.

Maybe a good option.. maybe it just hasn't been used..

why doesn't the starter of the topic merely request someone on "staff" here to close the thread, when he or she feels everything to be said has already been said?

If people still want to fight and brawl.. let em start their own thread..

:biglaugh:

your right I do not even think I would need to do that.

it was a difficult call for me because of what the actual thread was about

Why because i try to be honest and not play games that is why. I thought using a name would be more honest, and esier for folks to see what I was talking about but I now realize people can and should draw their own conclusion,.

ya have to admit it was a fine example tho of the type of discourse I was referring to and that it is difficult to overcome for those not familiar with this type of "problem".

Maybe a good option.. maybe it just hasn't been used..

why doesn't the starter of the topic merely request someone on "staff" here to close the thread, when he or she feels everything to be said has already been said?

If people still want to fight and brawl.. let em start their own thread..

:biglaugh:

sometimes you or another poster goes and gets a thread that is in the archive so a thread never rally dies., i think some of these threads could have had more to say IF it had not all gone sour in personal ways. then they end up in the soap box which is kinda sad cause only those who are heated into it really go down there and guest are not allowed.

Well.. staff can simply close a thread to no further contribution, and leave it in open, or about der vey.. where anyone can read it, logged in or not.

One can reference it with a search, just not bring it back to the top.

I think one of my threads would have to start going pretty sour before I'd request it.

But it is an option.

I think that this thread is a valuable discussion. Any attacks on this thread will be deleted.

I've been thinking about this stuff for a number of months. Last year someone called me a liar. I felt one way about a poster and she felt another. I would have termed it a disagreement. She is entitled to her opinion and I am entitled to mine. I think that many people have been hurt by TWI. Your experience may have been different. The response to a differing opinion isn't pulling out the "liar" card or sniping at another poster. If you truly don't like another poster, ignore them. As LindaZ said, think before clicking the add reply button.

We are going to do some experimenting. If there is the hint of a personal attack in a post, I am going to delete that post. What was time consuming was editing the post to take that out. Hopefully the meaningful posts will remain. Is this going to be subjective? Yes. But we will do our best to be fair. And if we make a mistake, we will do our best to repair it. You, as a poster here, will have to think before posting.

Another thing that I am requesting is that if you think someone is attacking another poster, please report it. The more eyes the better. We may not achieve world peace, but let's head in that direction. Varying viewpoints are welcome; Disagreeing passionately is welcome, but the attacks don't add anything positive to the discussions.

And for those of you that seem insistent on diminishing or destroying victims' stories, it won't be tolerated any more.

Groucho, some great stuff there.

I'm sure it's no secret that some folks are getting a little tired of all the drama, personal attacks and general ugliness...

...Wouldn't it be nice if folks would express their thoughts on the topic at hand, rather than attacking other posters. Far too many threads start off good and then disintigrate into a few people throwing insults at each other...and that's really too bad...

Well I hope you begin to practice what you're preachin' Groucho.

JL

I think most of us have reacted in a manner not fitting the no personal attack policy.

It' hard not to call someone a liar sometimes.

I reckon I've done it a lot and in the top 10 of calling someone a liar.

It's hard not to sometimes when it's obvious they know they are doing it too.

Which makes it a lie.

At least it's obvious to me.

But telling a lie is allowed on this site.

And by me saying someone is not telling the truth (or facts...whatever), I mean they know it too

And can point it out.

And people have clever ways to disguise these lies.

Can we point these out?

As well as clever ways to disguise personal attacks.

Can we point these out also?

So it's the honest ones that can be more clever.

And even quit posting if need be.

I do appreciate what you are saying Paw.

Report the posts as needed.

I suggest include what is in the post specifically and why.

As I just stated in this post.

There is that option in the report deal.

As popular as this site has become, I'm sure it's hard to police.

Most of us-imo-want this to be more positive and productive.

Which includes getting into some deep dark corners, exposing 'negative' stuff,

and lies, which is some serious business.

And in part of the nature of GSC, in telling the other side.