Civil discourse and staying on topic

GrouchoMarxJr

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krys,

Its in reference to what Jonny said:

I hope the wind blows both ways if there is to be a more intensive amount of moderation (censorship?) here.

See? :)

Edited by GarthP2000

Why do you have to set out the parameters first? What if......and suppose so and so.....?????

That takes so much time to figure out!

Well that certainly seems to be fair, really. But I ask you, what if someone tells a story of a fine and wonderful time that they had in The Way Corps or as a WOW and then gets lambasted as a "Wierwille apologist" with a "sophomoric attitude" because they have chosen to focus on the "good times" (rather than the bad times) that they had in The Way Ministry or in The Way Corps? 

What if the person who tells a story with a positive twist is accused of "Way brain-ism" which is tantamount to de-railing the mission of the Grease Spot Cafe and therefore is still an "automaton" and akin to Wierwille and his "evil minions"? Will you [i]not[/i] tolerate those kind of attacks also? I can't count the times I have told a positive story here about times in The Way and then been outright attacked for doing so. I hope the wind blows both ways if there is to be a more intensive amount of moderation (censorship?) here.

Why not just live life and enjoy what you have. Be honest and forthright, and see what happens. You're just looking for somebody to pounce when you set up stories like that.

Perhaps because past experiance tells Jonny that that is the case despite everyone's denial. Check the What They Said; What They Did thread I posted three statements that were focused on good things they were not confrontational only things learned .Immediatly after each was a smart a** remark thats why Jonny thinks so............

Edited by WhiteDove

Thanks for the reference, now I think I understand where you're coming from.

On the thread you referenced, the main topic of the thread was what twi said vs what they did. They were dishonest in all their dealings with us.

You perhaps did not realize the thrust of that thread and posted beneficial things you learned. You were not wrrong. Many have valued some of the same things you mentioned. It was not all bad. Even my son credits much of his success to his corps training even though he was tossed out under the most miserable and humiliating experiences.

Now in retrospect, I think it would have been better if you hadn't posted on that thread at all because of all the sarcasm. People were looking for anything they could prepare a sarcastic negative response to.....and all of THOSE were right too. You know they taught one thing and did another (in the context of what was written on that referenced thread)

Perhaps a similar misunderstaanding occurred here. This thread is about how we treat each other here in this time and space. It doesn't have anything to do with twi at all - - except for the fact that wee were all once "members"

BUT - thats what this thread is all about in another way too. If somebody is being attacked, that should no longer happen. If Anyone is consistently getting attacked, perhaps they may be bringing it on by their writing style or ideas they hold that aren't valid.

I'm glad to see this discourse going on, but it is a shame that it has to. We are all consenting adults and we have to be told to play nice. What eveer happened to "walking in love"? Some of the things I've seen written here cause me to not want to be associated with the lot of some of you and it's not gonna take much before the butterfly is gone and so am I. This is a disgrace and the fighting makes me sick. Figure it out, will ya?

I'm glad to see this discourse going on, but it is a shame that it has to. We are all consenting adults and we have to be told to play nice. What eveer happened to "walking in love"? Some of the things I've seen written here cause me to not want to be associated with the lot of some of you and it's not gonna take much before the butterfly is gone and so am I. This is a disgrace and the fighting makes me sick. Figure it out, will ya?

It's ToonTown Honey! You can check out but you can never leave. Think of it just as a parallel TWI Cult Universe! The search is still on for Gear, Martingale, VP's Mog's and others.

But watch out for the Weasels, they slobber all over your posts before they get you! :biglaugh:

Perhaps because past experiance tells Jonny that that is the case despite everyone's denial. Check the What They Said; What They Did thread I posted three statements that were focused on good things they were not confrontational only things learned .Immediatly after each was a smart a** remark thats why Jonny thinks so............

The remarks were factual and true whitedove,

they were not an attack against you like you just did.

but statements of truth.

Maybe I should report your post, for name calling.

Or just wait till you see for your self one day.

Or is that why you did those posts, to get someone upset huh?

Didn't work. 'They' were wrong with the word in what they said and did.

Is it the reason to make such posts on a thread that obviously was not intended to praise twi.

Any good came from individuals rather then the doctrine, it came from hearts of true goodness in some folks.

I agree with mark and the ice on the sign.

One cannot put integrity back into anything. Because as Pawtucket said it is subjective, and then posters take issue .

The position here are solid and serious, and just like when you were in twi, any other views must be an attack, you become blind to how the "others" may understand it. the others (anyone outside those who belong) wouldnt know anyway they are not of the wow or corp or been abused. they must be dismised as lesser than. such is your world.

it is a very small world here , it seems to me many just fell off the twi planet onto greaspot and stuck in long enough to set up just as they please .

Pawtucket can do little now about it, those who care and love this place are stuck here and cant see a way out of their thinking all hell will ice over before they will consider another perspective. those who look in just see twi mind set with a different focus. Society has rules and manner of speak and accoutability to one another we have checks and balances. Groups can form their own rules to be sure and believe as and who they wish, yet when they go outside the borders of Society at large they are considered a sect and dismissed without credit altogether.

Maybe some believe I want it to change, I do not, it is what it is, just like twi was and is.

I just thought it could have been more, because some information on this site is valuable .

Edited by pond

Groucho,

Marvelous thread and a good idea.

However, somehow I think this picture fits in here somewhere:

hell_freezes_over.jpg

(I'd call myself a cynic, but that screen name is already taken)

:offtopic:

Mark, that picture was taken about an hour from where I live. The only state that has both heaven and hell in it.

It's ToonTown Honey! You can check out but you can never leave. Think of it just as a parallel TWI Cult Universe! The search is still on for Gear, Martingale, VP's Mog's and others.

But watch out for the Weasels, they slobber all over your posts before they get you! :biglaugh:

Bumpy you have quite a way with words. These are stellar and I thank you. As far as I'm concerned that second part about the weasels should be engraved in bronze and nailed over the entrance to every Internet Café, and be a required "retemory" before anyone gets to type on a keyboard!!

I just heard that Bumpy got kicked outa here. What did he get kicked out for? Certainly not for the quote that you just quoted Krysilis?

If you really want to know the answer to your question why not PM pawtucket and ask him?

Otherwise, it just looks like you're trying to stir something up...

Just friendly advice...

And Danny, I was speaking to Groucho in particular, in that I have been on the receiving end of some extremely vicious verbal assaults coming from him in the past. But, you probably didn't know that. And so, I hope that his epiphany will serve him well and that he will be blessed with his efforts to help stop the distasteful discourse that so often rear it's ugly head here at the GSCafe. I think it is wonderful that he started this thread, and that he will endeavor to do that which he is promoting. You go Groucho! You go boy!

Thanks Jonny!...and as always, I look forward to reading your adventurous stories.

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

Hi, Jonny

Since we appear to be off-topic anyway---------

Have you been to Harp-L lately?

Someone started a thread a couple days ago called "harmonica and dancing women"

It's an invitation to share Stowwwwries about ladies who like to dance in front of the bandstand while you are trying to perform.

Harp on, Brother.

I post on other web boards, and I remember when first coming here about a year ago, thinking how tame this board is regarding brawls, personal attacks and in general surliness. People here usually conduct themselves very civilly compared to other web boards. I have noticed though, there is some real hostility lately on some threads by some people.

As a solution, one web board I visit employs a hockey type penalty box where the troublemaker can be benched and viewed by all, with 3-5+ day suspensions with their user name highlighted in red on all their posts. Very effective.

On this board, more than anything else we get a lot of Trolls and Posers, they are real good at consuming whole threads with their rhetoric and fire setting. I am glad Paw's cracking down on personal attackers and the victims thru the mud draggers, they’re certainly bothersome….well done Paw.

And remember, everything Groucho's ever said is as clear as mud, as his most memorable quote, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

And remember, everything Groucho's ever said is as clear as mud, as his most memorable quote, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

That reminds me of the quote that goes something like this:

The reason a dog has so many friends is because it wags it's tail instead of it's tongue.

Uh, sorry folks, what's a Troll?

What's a Poser?

it is a very small world here , it seems to me many just fell off the twi planet onto greaspot and stuck in long enough to set up just as they please .

... Those who look in just see twi mind set with a different focus. Society has rules and manner of speak and accoutability to one another we have checks and balances. Groups can form their own rules to be sure and believe as and who they wish, yet when they go outside the borders of Society at large they are considered a sect and dismissed without credit altogether.

If people look, they will see this site is not just About The Way and there are lots of other interests that people share, generally via threads in Open, where people have enjoyed various things outside TWI mindset.

Could the problem be in part that we were so used to "controlling our thinking" (or having it controlled) that once free of that control we splurge all over anything and anyone else, especially in ATW forum?