GreaseSpot Cafe

What They Said; What They Did

templelady

Today in Church the subject of being loved by Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, And our fellow man came up along with our loving in return. I got to thinking about the differences between now and the TWI years.

Leadership said that we were sons and daughters of God

But their actions spoke even louder, for most of us, that we were really the bottom of the barrel spritually......

They said that we had all power, But there actions said we only had as much power as leadership decided we could have.....

They said that God loved us, But they kept hammering that we weren't worthy for God to spit in our direction and were "Babes in the word" so that they wouldn't have to explain why they were so far off the word.....

They said we had freedom of choice But they only meant we had the freedom to follow the choices they made for us....

They knew what the words were-- but most of them never really grasped the spirit behind the words

Edited by templelady

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen sister.

I find the church I go to is gentle but really practical about what is taught. Exhortation to rise up is simply that - loving encouragement.

I didn't know "fear" till I got in TWI. I suffered a little from low self-esteem, but boy, did they tip that into major self-condemnation, which I wrestled with all the time in rez. :asdf:

Wow Mo, may I add a few?

TWI SAID that we were Christians...but most were unable to follow the great commandment...*love your neighbor*

TWI leaders SAID that they were of the spirit...yet so many many times their actions were in the category *of the flesh*

TWI SAID they spoke for God and that we must follow their orders...yet so many times this brought disaterous consequences.

TWI leaders said to trust them...and then they betrayed us.

I think that there is a reason that twi was so scornfull of church...I don`t think they wanted us to see how genuine Christians behaved.

then they taught "no condemnation".. and proceeded to castigate people if there was dust on the top of the refrigerator.. or if they forgot their leadership's pets birthday, sent a store bought birthday card to der mogster instead of slaving hours making a hand made one, or something equally inane.

Interesting.. I never got a hand made card from the loyster..

too busy "moving da word" I guess..

:biglaugh:

They taught us It isn't what you think, it is what the Word says you should think............. and then they taught us how to renew our minds.

Exactly-demanded it and dictated it, yeah, very correct whitedove.

What they said the Word says anyways.

... what talents? Stringing chairs? Working the 'honey wagon'? ... Goosestepping to leaders**t?

((snort)) Yeah! Try putting all that on your resume! <_<

Actually many of the organizational and setup information has proved very beneficial in my business and at various other endeavors that I am involved in. I'm sorry that it did not work out for you.

the more abundant life has also started for me, since the waybrained cobwebs are clearing out. I've done a lot of work to overcome the learned helplessness they pushed on us, so now I can make my own decisions. I don't need or want twit leadership to hand down bogus revelation about what I should do with my life ever again.

thanks for this thread, templelady.

WD, yeah, we all learned some things in twi, even if all we learned was that cults are a waste of time. I leaned how to clean houses. I feel like the price I paid to learn that was far too high. I could have learned it somewhere else without paying the high price.

They taught us you're responsible for what you do with that which God has given.....And they taught us how to develop those talents.
True responsibility lies in the individuals right to choose what and how they will be responsible. True development lets the individual decide which talents if any he or she will develop. Telling people what they are responsible for, when they are responsible for it, and what talents they need to develop--takes away the God given freedom of choice from that individual
They taught us It isn't what you think, it is what the Word says you should think............. and then they taught us how to renew our minds.

And they were the final arbitrators of that Word-- if what you saw in perfectly good English printed on the page in front of you disagreed with what was being said by leadership on the podium you were expected to disregard the knowledge of your GOD GIVEN five senses, senses HE gave you to use, and go with what leadership said.

THey taught us how to renew our minds and then spent the rest of the time telling us we needed to do so every time we dared to use those minds to think or do something that didn't meet with leadership approval. Hardly the freedom of choice, and responsibility of consequences that God envisioned when he passed those minds out

They said we could Live A More Than Abundant Life............Wow they were right

Yeah they were-- but they determined how much abundance was enough-- "living above a needs basis" In other words if God gave you Abundance then you were supposed to hand it over to leadership so they could live More Abundantly-- Funny, I figure If God wanted that Abundance he gave me to belong to leadership He would have given it to them instead of me in the first place. I' m not talking about charity and giving to others , supporting the ministry endeavors-- I'm talking about the enforcement of rules and doctrines which were designed to strip the individual of his goods to the benefit of leadership-- Christ Had words for these people "oh ye generation of Vipers.

WD I have never questioned that What TWI taught from the word was often right on spot--It's when they jumped into the arena of telling the individual exactly how, they, the individual , had to apply what TWI taught that they crossed the line stripping the rank and file from the right to use their GOD Given freedom of choice--for good or for bad.

True responsibility lies in the individuals right to choose what and how they will be responsible. True development lets the individual decide which talents if any he or she will develop. Telling people what they are responsible for, when they are responsible for it, and what talents they need to develop--takes away the God given freedom of choice from that individual

And they were the final arbitrators of that Word-- if what you saw in perfectly good English printed on the page in front of you disagreed with what was being said by leadership on the podium you were expected to disregard the knowledge of your GOD GIVEN five senses, senses HE gave you to use, and go with what leadership said.

THey taught us how to renew our minds and then spent the rest of the time telling us we needed to do so every time we dared to use those minds to think or do something that didn't meet with leadership approval. Hardly the freedom of choice, and responsibility of consequences that God envisioned when he passed those minds out

Yeah they were-- but they determined how much abundance was enough-- "living above a needs basis" In other words if God gave you Abundance then you were supposed to hand it over to leadership so they could live More Abundantly-- Funny, I figure If God wanted that Abundance he gave me to belong to leadership He would have given it to them instead of me in the first place. I' m not talking about charity and giving to others , supporting the ministry endeavors-- I'm talking about the enforcement of rules and doctrines which were designed to strip the individual of his goods to the benefit of leadership-- Christ Had words for these people "oh ye generation of Vipers.

WD I have never questioned that What TWI taught from the word was often right on spot--It's when they jumped into the arena of telling the individual exactly how, they, the individual , had to apply what TWI taught that they crossed the line stripping the rank and file from the right to use their GOD Given freedom of choice--for good or for bad.

My experience differs from yours, there are many others that do as well. There are some here that think if that was your experience that makes it true, I guess under that logic my experience was the truth, I personally wouldn't go so far, but in any case mine was not the same as yours, I used plenty of GOD Given freedom of choice, I thought when I wanted. I don't doubt that there were those that would try to talk you out of your rights in Christ there always is ,whether we listen or not remains the choice we each have.

Dylan said in his song Man of Peace

He got a sweet gift of gab, he got a harmonious tongue,

He knows every song of love that ever has been sung.

Good intentions can be evil,

Both hands can be full of grease.

You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

Well, first he's in the background, then he's in the front,

Both eyes are looking like they're on a rabbit hunt.

Nobody can see through him,

No, not even the Chief of Police.

You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

Well, he catch you when you're hoping for a glimpse of the sun,

Catch you when your troubles feel like they weigh a ton.

He could be standing next to you,

The person that you'd notice least.

I hear that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

I think he's right, we just don't have to let him control us.

Well, I'm glad I got rid of that mindset. I'll determine my own thinking, thank you very much.

Never said you couldn't Garth but this thread was about what they said and what they did... And they did teach us that, I'm glad I kept that mindset. I like it that someone smarter than me is my teacher. Some are content to believe they are smarter. In the end we will see just who was..........

I guess I answered my own Question It never left.

Sorry for the derail. I will refrain from typing responses to

It White Dove.

Fact I was a employee of The Way International.

While preforming my duties I was exsposed to

A deadly chemical. Ended at the emergnacy room

and hospitalized for 3 days.

St Mary hospital Oct of 79

I had to pay the whole tab.

Forget about Acts 2 and fixing my need even though I was

an employee.

Right the more abundant life if it doesn't take away from buying a

new airplane and motor coach.

What they said and did was way different.

I have many other factual incidents to emlpoyees of the Way.

Danny I would be interested in more details of what you said but it doesn't belong on this thread.

Could you either PM me or start a new thread concerning what happened?

Danny, I'm so sorry. I would love to see a class action suit against twi to compensate the victims of the many, many violations they committed against their employees.

yes, they said it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what the word says. the purpose of that was so they could tell us what the word said so they could control what we thought. when you're told you're stupid often enough with no other input, you start to believe it. boy did my life change when I stopped letting them isolate me.

everyone had to care what lcm thought. if you ever had a personal encounter with him, you would have no doubt that's what was expected. vpw sounds like he was exactly the same.

They taught publically, "things are supposed to be USED, people LOVED"..

What they did was precisely the opposite..

look at Danny.. get sick, become a "liability".. you're on your own..

kinda same thing with me. Can't "move" loy's inane class? Can't rake in a few hundred more into twi's grasp? Out ya go.. "we know SOMETHING is wrong with you.. "

Actually, I didn't let them go very far.. "I'll think about it and get back... see ya later.."

I know how I'd answer der vegetable man today.. "I'll tell you what's wrong with me, it's YOU, jack***"..

:biglaugh:

They SAID that the way corpes how to learn to be your best for God.....They didn`t tell you that the application was an irrevocable commitment to God, a vow that was unable to be broken without dying spiritually.

Edited by rascal