GreaseSpot Cafe

1970 something

jeast

Just a brief overview, 1970 something, Looking for the truth, met dmiller & Mary, Mike & Jane Moody who introduced me to Bill M-rt-n. I was sort of a Bapticostal at the time.

Took PFAL, learned a bunch, started my life in a new direction. Attended twig for about 2 years, put the family in a bind. Left The Way, had no idea that all the stupid stuff was going down.

I have not joined any organized congregation etc, since. Met a lot of super people during my association with TWI, dmiller to be one of them for sure. All I have learned since mostly validates that we absolutely need a Savior.

You know...mans ways are bloodshed and destruction. None righteous etc. Do my best not to allow fear...bitterness, hatred and all that negative stuff to dominate my life. I'd rather be slapped up side the head with a wet squirrels tail.

I have been monitoring CES/STF for a long time and my heart aches when I read all the posts concerning JL & company. This is a spiritual battle and I hope we remember who the enemy really is. I am extremely disappointed but I have not given up on the hope.

Thanks a bunch for the greetings,

Bill Morton played the harpsichord and it was my understanding that he also built them. Bill came to my house and had the nerve to challenge my self righteous theology. Man I hate it when I am wrong. Much of my traditional thinking was pretty much trashed. There is a lot more to this but in a nutshell it changed how I perceived almost everything. I feel that my marriage, my parenting etc. have been changed for the better. All because of some very basic principles that is rooted and grounded in the Word. Notice...I did not mention any of mans institutions. I am looking forward to listening and learning from all of you. I was looking for the lyrics to one of Brian Bliss's songs when I found this site. I got the lyrics and a whole lot more than I had bargained for.

Jeast,

Speaking of Bill Morton, whatever happened to him later, as far as you know?

Thanks! :)

I was told that he passed away several years ago but I cannot confirm or deny that. He was in my area about a year and that was the last contact I had with him. Very talented musician!

Welcome to the jungle, er I mean the greasespot.

I hope you find some friends and fellowship here.

Is the Bill M-rt-n you speak of the piano player from the Indy branch meetings in the 70's?

God Bless us every one :)

DB

I would say that he was. I got aquainted with him in Bloomington through Mike and Jane Moody. He was in this area for a short while and I have not heard much of him since.

Thanks for the welcome,

All the best,

Hi JEAST and welcome,

I hope the fellowship here is a blessing for you.

Thanks,

Keep on the sunny side

Hello.

Many of us are still Christians.

Some of us are a bit "gun-shy" about joining groups at this point,

but otherwise, we're fine.

Some of us are Christians who carefully joined other groups of Christians.

Some of us, of course, are no longer Christians, but around here, they seem to be well-mannered.

You probably noticed all this already.

Enjoy your stay here.

RE: Keep On The Sunny Side

Man!--Check out that Gibson L-5.

It looks humongous.

Guess I shoulda put that in Guitar Talk, huh?

Waysider -- It would be sacriligeous to post a clip of Mother MayBelle without her Gibson Archtop!!

(Actually -- I don't think there are any. She never picked without it!)

:dance:

It looks humongous.

You can talk guitar on my post anytime. I am very fond of my 000 style Greven. Little guitar, big sound.

Edited by jeast

It looks humongous.

Maybelle Carter's guitar is back on permanent display at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, thanks to a Murfreesboro, Tenn., philanthropist. The announcement was made Monday (Aug. 23) during a ceremony at the museum in downtown

Nashville.

Bob McLean seemed a bit uncomfortable with the attention he received from artists such as Vince Gill and Marty Stuart, but his donation allowed the Hall of Fame to write a $575,000 check for the purchase of the instrument that's acknowledged as one of the most historically significant instruments in American music.

The guitar -- a Gibson L-5 arch top acoustic built in 1928 -- was purchased by Carter shortly after she, cousin Sara and brother-in-law A.P. recorded their first music in Bristol, Tenn., in 1927. In addition to the Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers and the Stoneman Family also participated in the recordings now known as the Bristol Sessions. The recordings first signaled country music's commercial viability and were, as Johnny Cash once said, "the single most important event in country music." Carter also revolutionized guitar playing by using her thumb and fingers to simultaneously perform melodies with rhythm chords.

Carter used the L-5 guitar on virtually all of her recordings until her death in 1978. The guitar was loaned to the museum in 1998 and remained there until May when the owner consigned it to Gruhn Guitars, a vintage instrument shop in Nashville, which placed it on sale at $575,000. Although the owner was never specifically identified, instrument expert George Gruhn confirmed that the guitar was being sold by one of Maybelle Carter's heirs.

Another of her heirs, John Carter Cash, is happy the guitar has returned to the Hall of Fame.

"I'm overwhelmed with joy," said Cash, who is the son of Johnny and June Carter Cash. "I had sort of been watching from the sidelines. I talked to George off and on about it. I'm so grateful that it's back here right where it should be. I'm very excited."

Gruhn said his intention all along was for the guitar to be purchased by a benefactor for donation to the Hall of Fame. "It's what I wanted," he said. "It's also what the owner wanted. I'm just inexpressibly proud to have been able to play a role in bringing it home."

Monday's event at the museum's Ford Theater was also attended by June Carter Cash's daughter, Carlene Carter, and several Hall of Fame members, including Earl Scruggs, Eddy Arnold, Brenda Lee, Charlie Louvin and Gordon Stoker of the Jordanaires. The presentation began with an audio recording of the Carter Family's "Keep on the Sunnyside," followed by a video of Maybelle Carter performing "Wildwood Flower" many years ago on Flatt & Scruggs' television program.

Scruggs was just one of the musicians who played the famous guitar Monday. Others include Gill, Stuart, Sharon White of the Whites and John Carter Cash's wife, Laura.

"Where it all started is on this instrument," Gill told the gathering. "That's a rarity. For us to have this guitar in our possession, to have this guitar to play once in a while, is priceless." Alluding to the tape of Maybelle Carter performing, he said, "As I watched that video, it made me want to take every single knucklehead on Music Row and make them watch that and just see how beautiful music can be in its simplest form."

After learning that McLean played guitar in a folk band during the early '60s, Gill invited him onstage to play "Wildwood Flower" on Carter's guitar. When McLean tried to decline the invitation, Gill pointed out that he would assist him with the other musicians onstage -- Cheryl White of the Whites on bass, Stuart on guitar and Stuart's bandmate, Kenny Vaughan, also on guitar. Gill joked, "We'll make you sound pretty damn good." And they did.

McLean, executive producer of the upcoming film Our Very Own learned of the museum's challenge in May while visiting the complex with actor Jason Ritter, the son of actor John Ritter and the grandson of Tex Ritter. McLean said Kyle Young, the Hall of Fame's executive director, and the museum staff "convinced me that rescuing the guitar was not only important, but absolutely essential."

McLean, who actively supports a number of non-profit organizations, made a restricted gift of approximately $1 million to enable the museum to purchase the Carter guitar.

"If there are any heroes here today," McLean said, "it's the musicians -- some of them in this room -- for taking Mother Maybelle's legacy to heart as they create their own legacy. … It's also the fans outside these doors and all over the world who continue to be comforted, inspired and informed by the music of country music's pioneers. If no one cared, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum wouldn't need Mother Maybelle's guitar. Fortunately for us, though, people do care. They care about the past. The past helps us deal with the present. The past helps us make decisions that impact our lives and our descendents' lives."

The Hall of Fame's inability to immediately purchase the guitar underscores a larger problem, McLean said. "Some people collect for fun, others for investments," he explained. "This trend, coupled with theme restaurants, high profile public auctions and e-commerce, has driven the cost of popular cultural artifacts beyond the ability of any not-for-profit cultural institution's ability to compete. The museum couldn't have bought this guitar. It can't purchase Bill Monroe's … mandolin, either. But this is where they both belong, not because they're fancy, expensive instruments, but because the world was changed by the music created with them." (Monroe's Gibson F-5 mandolin is currently for sale at an asking price of $1 million.)

McLean's gift and his remarks won him plenty of new admirers within the country music community. Not the least was Stuart, who pointed out, "It's good to know guardian angels have Southern accents."

From ----- >>> THIS SITE.

Woops!! Is this Guitar Talk II??

;)

Jeast,

Nice to meet you and hear your story. Thanks also, guys, for the Sunny Side and the Gibson stories. Nice light reading/listening for my morning watch.

Love and blessings!

Appreciated the shout out, Thanks.

I don't want my life story to be between the grave and glory

I don't want to sit here on the fence.

I don't want my life to tell another dead end story.

I want to walk with God before I rest.

Edited by jeast

• 7 months later...

"well-mannered" non-christian here...

just wanted to say that i respect and admire all of the people who endured the way and have come out on top (christian or non). which is only to say that i am glad the escapees escaped. my time in childhood spent in the way caused me to question everything. i will not say that i am an atheist, but i do commit myself to continual learning on the topic of religion/ God/ gods/ Jesus/ et cetera. i am happy to have found this forum and it has already aided me in justifying that my childhood intuition about the Way was spot on.

Edited by angelamorrissey

What Hap said Angela - difference is that he is a nice guy and I am a grumpy wacko - especially when it comes to the (wrong) way international and its constant denial of crimes and atrocities committed