GreaseSpot Cafe

Coyotes at 200 yards

rhino

I gotta agree with Rascal on this'un. The only time I ever had to do anything with coyotes was when a small pack was raiding the dog food and were willing to fight with him over it. They're also bad for tearing garbage bags to pieces and scattering it everywhere.

Yes, we do have big puddy tats here in the Ozarks. Although the game and fish folks deny it, we have those and occasional black panthers. We don't see them often, but their screams can be heard at night.

I remember several years ago a panther chasing a cow around a tree several times until the cow finally got tired of it and turned and stomped the panther to death.

With the exception of owls, raccoons, chickenhawks, domestic dogs gone bad and black snakes, the predators tend to keep each other under control and aren't real bothersome.

Rascal, I'm surprised there are so many coyotes there with no attacks. I've seen them here stalking calves and kids (baby goats, not children :)) and they've come right in the yard on a dozen occasions at least, that I have seen, going for the two small dogs. The dogs sleep right by the house now, and when they go nuts at night it is usually a coyote, though I don't always see them.

Nice picture 'Houston ... I guess that is a cougar? And thanks for the gun ideas, and the gunbroker site. I'm not a great shot by any means, but I'll work at it. I really can't imagine hiitng something at 200 yards, or being steady enough even with a good scope.

I can get a free permit for a couple deer per year as a landowner, so should plan on shooting a deer sometime. Wouldn't mind having some deer sausage on hand.

:offtopic: Sorry to get off topic, Rhino - but Ron and George touched on something I'm interested in:

.... The Ozarks, where I live, are very densely forested, so shooting ANYTHING at a distance of 200 yards is moot. I would use my 30.06 for anything like that as it would go thru the brush pretty easily without a lot of deflection.
...Another thought would be to just get a good .30/06 and use a sabot round with a .22 caliber bullet for coyotes, and then you'd have a good hunting caliber for big game as well. Coyotes aren't really too hard to kill, so any centerfire rifle round would be adequate...

I'm not a hunter [only hunted a few times] - but do enjoy target shooting and learning about ballistics. I have a 30-06 rifle and have wondered about that round George was talking about. I think I've seen them marked as accelerator bullets....Anyway...my question is...are they any good as far as accuracy?..........okay - if I could impose a little further here - changing bullets here - anyone had any experience shooting a glazer safety bullet? They're bird-shot suspended in epoxy. The guy at the gun store told me - they're good for home defense because they won't over-penetrate or ricochet - they'll shatter if they hit something hard. But hitting soft tissue they do a lot of damage...

Edited by T-Bone

:offtopic: Sorry to get off topic, Rhino - but Ron and George touched on something I'm interested in:

No probem T-bone ...

I'm not a stay on topic nazi ... one of those that scolds people for drifting naturally into other areas, or any areas at all. Some seem to think they own the thread if they start it ...

(I'm only irritated when there is a deliberate attempt to derail a thread, usually reserved for political stuff, or piffle supporters :biglaugh: ...)

But this is wide open ... I like to see the topic naturally evolve and branch out. :beer:

Edited by rhino

If you are taking a 30-06 and shooting the sabot rounds it a classic case of the wrong gun for the job. It has been said that the 30-06 is the most versatile rifle cartridge made. This may be true but the answer is buying the 25-06 which is the .30 cartridge necked down to 25 caliber. The problem with the sabot is consistency/accuracy. The sabot (french for shoe) is a plastic holder that holds a smaller caliber bullet. The idea is that this allows a small weight bullet with a better ballistic density to be fired out of a larger caliber rifle. This has never caught on with the exception of the 30-06. This is mainly due to how many of them are out there. The 270 was the first commercial success with necking the 30-06 down. This happened somewhere in the 1930. The 25-06 was the next step that happened in the late 60's.

My personal favorite as I mentioned is the 257 Roberts. I can load them to about 3000 fps with a 120 grn slug. Takes care of all the local game without massive recoil. Local game consists of deer and feral hogs.

That brings us to the glazer round. It is good at self defense but is easily surpassed just by using a premium bullet. Plus the glazer round is not accurate. Of course a pistol round is not going to be shot at over 7 yrds(21ft). If you shoot in self defense and the target is beyond that you will have legal issues.

If you are taking a 30-06 and shooting the sabot rounds it a classic case of the wrong gun for the job. It has been said that the 30-06 is the most versatile rifle cartridge made. This may be true but the answer is buying the 25-06 which is the .30 cartridge necked down to 25 caliber. The problem with the sabot is consistency/accuracy. The sabot (french for shoe) is a plastic holder that holds a smaller caliber bullet. The idea is that this allows a small weight bullet with a better ballistic density to be fired out of a larger caliber rifle. This has never caught on with the exception of the 30-06. This is mainly due to how many of them are out there. The 270 was the first commercial success with necking the 30-06 down. This happened somewhere in the 1930. The 25-06 was the next step that happened in the late 60's.

My personal favorite as I mentioned is the 257 Roberts. I can load them to about 3000 fps with a 120 grn slug. Takes care of all the local game without massive recoil. Local game consists of deer and feral hogs.

That brings us to the glazer round. It is good at self defense but is easily surpassed just by using a premium bullet. Plus the glazer round is not accurate. Of course a pistol round is not going to be shot at over 7 yrds(21ft). If you shoot in self defense and the target is beyond that you will have legal issues.

Ex-70s, great stuff! But deer and even elk have fallen at ranges of 200 yards with the mighty high powered 22 caliber loads. Many an old timer has preached the virtues of the 22 rim fire and many a coyote meeting their demise with one. I always needed more, but not as much as what you shoot. The 243 or a 6mm are often praised as the ultimate varmint rounds.

Maybe a gun lovers thread would be in order. I wouldn't mind learning more from you or others that know.

Thanks Ex70's, Ductape, and everyone else...A gun enthusiast thread sounds good...I don't have anything to contribute - but like all the tech talk - always enjoy picking someone's brain. My good friend at work is an avid sportsman [hunting and fishing] and gets into hand loads - I love to get him talking shop.

I think a lot of folks feel that all Mother Earth Goddess's creatures should be protected from harm done them by evil humans. Like the castigation I got for my complete lack of sympathy for the beautiful, harmless, innocent whitetail deer that keep jumping in front of our vehicles (got another 2 weeks ago, this time in the butt, minimal damage to Ford Ranger). The logical answer is NOT extending the hunting season, but eliminating all automotive travel, so's the little critters can roam freely at will. It is wrong of me to plant a garden for my own consumption; I should plant nothing other than what the deer like to eat. And I should have my dog put down and not get another, unless I plan to use it to feed those lovely coyotes who live out back.

And yet, in this country, millions are rabidly virulent about promoting abortion, including partial birth abortion, and protecting Roe v. Wade. So it's perfectly appropriate to kill unborn humans, but outrageous and evil to protect my crops and my roadways (mine because I pay taxes that build and repair them) from coyotes, deer, and the like?

That's pretty backwards, IMO.

WG

I'm actaully trying to attract deer for next year ... so some hunters can pay me to kill them ...

It's aggravating to see one or two in the corn field munching away at the corn in its bite size stage, much worse to have them browse in the garden ... and boy can they jump ... a real deer fence needs to be like 10 feet high. If I get into growing vegies or fruits, I guess I'll need a good dog to keep the wildlife out.

Our county is part of three counties they call the golden triangle, because it is so high in deer harvested, but I'm not in the thickst of the population. WG, you must be in a area thick with them also, or your car looks or sounds like an attractive buck. :biglaugh: I've never come close to hitting one, but I'm not out at night much.

They took wolves off the endangered species list now, and ranchers would like to thin them out I'm sure. But in Illinois the coyote is about the worst predator, and they aren't bad. It would be kinda cool to see bear or cougars around, but then I'd have to carry a gun to go out in the woods.

Maybe some good gun deals will turn up at pawn shops if we get this economic slowdown they're talking about.

When we first moved here we planted several Montmorency cherry trees and the deer ate them down to the soil. The owner of a big peach and apple orchard not far from here told me when they plant, they plant about 1/3 more trees than they actually need to allow for deer munching the little trees down to the ground also. Our new cherry trees are closer to the house.

Last winter when we had a lot of snow, one of the durn things tried to eat the holly bushes that are up against the front porch. Maybe got a few berries.

My next door neighbor has a deer feeding stand back in his woods, but sometimes they just like to go out to eat, I guess.

WG

Deer corn is sold at the convience store at the end of the street, the grocery store, even Wal-Mart has it.

Go to a feed store and buy feed corn. Its like candy to deer. Its actually not the best for them but they love to eat it.

You either love deer or hate them because of your car. Me I like a nice big grill guard. HEHE :evildenk:

And yet, in this country, millions are rabidly virulent about promoting abortion, including partial birth abortion, and protecting Roe v. Wade. So it's perfectly appropriate to kill unborn humans, but outrageous and evil to protect my crops and my roadways (mine because I pay taxes that build and repair them) from coyotes, deer, and the like?

That's pretty backwards, IMO.

WG

I agree. 100%. Unequivocally. Can you say ---- >>>

Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder??

Liberals care more about *Critters* these days, than they do a human fetus.

No concept of reality. Bambi may look cute as a fawn, but grown up and on a highway??

Nothing more than a hazard. An accident waiting to happen, to someone's detriment.

Fetus' are an *inconvinient responsibility*. A *mistake* something to be *rectified*.

BUT -- (of course) -- THAT aspect is never seen. Nope. Who would think like that??!!

Humans are MUCH more expendible. We need more *critters*, like God intended it, eh?

I can't wait for a *critter lover* to hit a deer (or moose) on a backroad somewhere.

What are they going to lament over???

Their car (if they are alive to do so), or the *unfortunate animal*??

I'm sure they would give their car more thought than the animal.

More thought than they would consider giving to a fetus.

Misguided priorities seem to be the order of the day (these days).

The first time my husband killed a deer (10 point buck that the guy who stopped to help called a "wall-hanger") and totaled the pickup truck, my supervisor at my then job was horrified. Though for some reason she votes Republican, she wasn't concerned about my husband's safety or the unhappy fact that we were truckless temporarily, but that the poor innocent deer had to die. I asked her if it would have been preferable for my husband to bite the dust. She didn't have an answer for that.

The third one that we hit, which also died, she was angry that we didn't stop to be sure it was actually dead and not just unconscious. It had flown about 15 feet vertical and 40 horizontal. I was sure it was dead and more concerned with my vehicle. I did ask her what I should have done if it was not completely dead - call the squad and apply CPR until they arrived?

My nomination for a hunter's bumper sticker: "I SHOT BAMBI'S MOTHER --- AND SHE WAS DELICIOUS!"

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

Oh, trust me! There is nothing worse than a midnight call from your spouse, announcing that you need to come get him right now. "Why? What's wrong?" "I HIT ANOTHER ****ING DEER, THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG?" "Are you okay?" Yeah, but the Honda's a mess. He was so upset he almost forgot to tell me where he was.

I liked the Honda. And the Dakota (it was purple). I am still crazy about my husband after 30 years. There was a guy not too far from here driving a full size pickup truck who had a buck jump out in front of him and when he hit it it went right up on his hood, through the windshield, through the back window, and was dead in the bed of the pickup truck. The driver? He was equally dead, behind the wheel.

I think the gun season should be at least a month. Every November on opening day I hear the boom of shotguns and it's music to my ears.

WG

don't have any suggestions on what to shoot it with but here in DFW, in the middle of everything allegedly metropolis and suburb, have seen coyotes and bobcats around the edges of the golf courses that are wooded... we just kind of keep an eye on them although the guy I sometimes play with always has a 9mm with him...

don't have any suggestions on what to shoot it with but here in DFW, in the middle of everything allegedly metropolis and suburb, have seen coyotes and bobcats around the edges of the golf courses that are wooded... we just kind of keep an eye on them although the guy I sometimes play with always has a 9mm with him...

coyotes and bobcats around DFW ... WOW ... cool ...

would you suggest a nine iron, or a driver on a bobcat? :spy:

In town I would suggest a live trap.

Ranchers use to use a snare at fence lines. Find where they go through the fence and put the snare. Does a great job. I believe this was outlawed though.

When in town don't use a gun. Bullets kill what ever they hit.

I remember deer hunting years ago. Watched a bobcat walk right under the deer blind I was sitting in. It was to beautiful to shoot.