GreaseSpot Cafe

Gun Talk

J0nny Ling0

Well, I did enjoy the talk over there on the "Coyotes at 200 yards" thread, and a suggestion was made to start a "gun lovers" thread. And so, I did in fact wait for someone else to start it, like, let's say Ex70's Houston, but, a whole day did go by and a new thread on it did not appear, and so, here it is. This thread may not be as hot as the "guitar" thread, but, if it peters out, it can still be resurrected anytime some one has a question or comment on firearms.

And so, I will open it up. I have a 1921 .30-.30 Winchester lever action rifle (model 94), which my Grand Dad reportedly purchased at some hardware store in Ogden, Utah, for a very small amount of money. It is a "nickel steel" rifle, with a saddle ring on the left side. She still shoots well, and I am honored that my Dad presented it to me before he died. It was cool, because, he came out of the house one day while he and I had been enjoying beers one evening, and presented to me a Springfield 30.06, just like the one he used in WW II in the Aleutian Islands when he fought The Japs for you and me. He said; "Son, I want you to have this rifle, from me, to you. It's just like the one I used in The War". And of course, I was very honored with The Moment. But, I said; "Ya know Dad, Christian (my oldest brother, his oldest son) has always loved that rifle, and has always thought that he would get it. He was more in tune with your post War life than I was, and I think it would be a big deal to him if he got that rifle". And my Dad said; "Hmm, maybe you are right. Just a minute". And he went back inside with the ought six. Then, he came back out with that .30-.30 that I mentioned, and without skipping a beat, said; "Son I would like you to have this .30-.30 Winchester which belonged to my Dad. He used to carry it when he was a teamster, driving mule pulled wagons from Salt Lake City to Portland Oregon back in the 20's and thirties". And of course, I was extremely honored and choked up as I received it from him, and thanked him for it. What a treasure.

And, I have used that dang 30-30 over and over as a brush gun in the dense and thick wilds of Southeast Alaska, using the iron sights, and being very accurate with it when it comes to hunting deer. I do not use it, however when I am hunting on islands populated with the immense brown bears, such as Admiralty, Chichagof, and Baranof Islands. Need more oomff there, so I take my .338 Win Mag Ruger. But, I love that old .30-.30, even though the round itself has been described as one of the least effective, yet very popular rounds in America over the years. Anybody have any thoughts on the 30-30 Winchester?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was the one that suggested this thread, since that time the Armageddon Arsenal (as one child of mine calls it) was loaded and we went on a trip. Finding a nice solitude spot with a good hill for a back stop my youngest discovered the beauty and power of my TCII with the 23" 35 Remington barrel. We shot the 9mm, the little compact S&W hide-a-way, the Ruger New Model Blackhawk 41 mag The mag has a decent roll and new rubber grips finally fit our big palmed hands. Of course a few dozen clips out of the semi-auto 22 were a blast.

The 35 Remington with 2 x 7 variable scope and the rocks about 150 yards where the hill ended died noble deaths. The TCII doesn't roll like a regular pistol, it recoils more like a hand held cannon. It's a feeling felt all the way down to your toes when you squeeze one off. Simply orgasmic as another shooter puts it. :biglaugh:

Music was all wrong. Guns....firearms for the most part are about fun. Some people like tennis, golf, cards, surfing, gardening.

Most shooting today is about fun and sports. The fastest growing shooting sport today is cowboy action. That is really more about dress than about guns.

But lets talk about shooting sports. I have tried to come up with a list on the different types and the list is tooooo long.

Shotguns. Lets see sheet, trap, sporting clays and probably ten more. These are Olympic sports.

Bulls eye shooting there are so many classes I don't know where to start. Bulls eye is shooting while being stationary at a target.

IPSC, IDPA and several more are different types of pistol competitions.

What I enjoy the most is Carbine. Which is shooting one of the above but using a semi auto rifle. Then there are five or so different classes within that. This is my favorite.

Shooting for the most part is not about killing. Its about sport.

I haven't gotten a hunting license in 4 years. I've shoot over 4000 times in that time frame.

I had a Texas one and let it expire.

The laws are such that if you have one and your weapon is stool-in and used in a crime you are responsible.

I also got tired of the extra weight. It was fun for about a week. The only real advantage is when you purchase a new gun. No wait no check just get and go.

The best think to do when confronted with danger is run.

Music was all wrong. Guns....firearms for the most part are about fun. Some people like tennis, golf, cards, surfing, gardening.

Most shooting today is about fun and sports. The fastest growing shooting sport today is cowboy action. That is really more about dress than about guns.

But lets talk about shooting sports. I have tried to come up with a list on the different types and the list is tooooo long.

Shotguns. Lets see sheet, trap, sporting clays and probably ten more. These are Olympic sports.

Bulls eye shooting there are so many classes I don't know where to start. Bulls eye is shooting while being stationary at a target.

IPSC, IDPA and several more are different types of pistol competitions.

What I enjoy the most is Carbine. Which is shooting one of the above but using a semi auto rifle. Then there are five or so different classes within that. This is my favorite.

Shooting for the most part is not about killing. Its about sport.

I haven't gotten a hunting license in 4 years. I've shoot over 4000 times in that time frame.

well then excuse me all to hell

Well, I did enjoy the talk over there on the "Coyotes at 200 yards" thread, and a suggestion was made to start a "gun lovers" thread. And so, I did in fact wait for someone else to start it, like, let's say Ex70's Houston, but, a whole day did go by and a new thread on it did not appear, and so, here it is. This thread may not be as hot as the "guitar" thread, but, if it peters out, it can still be resurrected anytime some one has a question or comment on firearms.

And so, I will open it up. I have a 1921 .30-.30 Winchester lever action rifle (model 94), which my Grand Dad reportedly purchased at some hardware store in Ogden, Utah, for a very small amount of money. It is a "nickel steel" rifle, with a saddle ring on the left side. She still shoots well, and I am honored that my Dad presented it to me before he died. It was cool, because, he came out of the house one day while he and I had been enjoying beers one evening, and presented to me a Springfield 30.06, just like the one he used in WW II in the Aleutian Islands when he fought The Japs for you and me. He said; "Son, I want you to have this rifle, from me, to you. It's just like the one I used in The War". And of course, I was very honored with The Moment. But, I said; "Ya know Dad, Christian (my oldest brother, his oldest son) has always loved that rifle, and has always thought that he would get it. He was more in tune with your post War life than I was, and I think it would be a big deal to him if he got that rifle". And my Dad said; "Hmm, maybe you are right. Just a minute". And he went back inside with the ought six. Then, he came back out with that .30-.30 that I mentioned, and without skipping a beat, said; "Son I would like you to have this .30-.30 Winchester which belonged to my Dad. He used to carry it when he was a teamster, driving mule pulled wagons from Salt Lake City to Portland Oregon back in the 20's and thirties". And of course, I was extremely honored and choked up as I received it from him, and thanked him for it. What a treasure.

And, I have used that dang 30-30 over and over as a brush gun in the dense and thick wilds of Southeast Alaska, using the iron sights, and being very accurate with it when it comes to hunting deer. I do not use it, however when I am hunting on islands populated with the immense brown bears, such as Admiralty, Chichagof, and Baranof Islands. Need more oomff there, so I take my .338 Win Mag Ruger. But, I love that old .30-.30, even though the round itself has been described as one of the least effective, yet very popular rounds in America over the years. Anybody have any thoughts on the 30-30 Winchester?

I used to have one... certainly not that old. I bought mine new in the early 1980s... used it for a little bit of target practice in the desert a couple of times... a had a couple of others, but had to travel light in Aug 1981, so, I sold all the firearms I had at the time... I enjoyed shooting that rifle...

In Alaska, it's; "No permit needed. Just drag 'em across your threshold..." I just hope I never have to go there. I really don't want to kill another Human. Would do it I think, if I have to. Anyway, I have come close with some (2) Big Bruins though. Whew! Scared 'em off with warning shots. As the green card for PFAL says: "Makes Life meaningful"! And, I didn't even s h it me pants. b guess I just don't understand that thing where one is so taken by fear that they do such a thing. I guess I am just "luckey". Anywhoo, always glad to be accompanied by some firepower fer sher!

hillbilly_lahti.jpg

No gun thread is complete without the hillbilly and his Lahti.

Anyone have a concealed carry permit?

I now live in an area of California where it it actually possible for a ordinary citizen to obtain one. A class is required, along with about $80/year to renew. Seems like it's not quite worth it.

Just wondering if these two posts were related...I don't think a CONCEALED carry permit is gonna cut it for that monster. :biglaugh: [by the way - what the heck is that thing?]

...On a serious note - I've never had a concealed carry permit but think about getting one once in awhile...Sometimes I wonder if an OPEN CARRY law would be more of a crime deterrent. A bad guy walking into a convenience store and seeing four or five customers with pistols in plain sight might have second thoughts about knocking off that place.

Edited by T-Bone

Just wondering if these two posts were related...I don't think a CONCEALED carry permit is gonna cut it for that monster. :biglaugh: [by the way - what the heck is that thing?]

...On a serious note - I've never had a concealed carry permit but think about getting one once in awhile...Sometimes I wonder if an OPEN CARRY law would be more of a crime deterrent. A bad guy walking into a convenience store and seeing four or five customers with pistols in plain sight might have second thoughts about knocking off that place.

That thing is a rifle that shoots the same cartridge as a 50 caliber machine gun. The cartridge is commonly refered to as a 50BMG (Browning machine gun). If the rifle is not that heavy it would brake your shoulder. Its about as practical as a bulldozer for a commuter car.

If I sometimes come across kind of strong its because of two kinds of people. The first kind is the kind who think guns are bad. They are just tools and objects that neither kill or hurt on their own. The second kind of person are the ones who spend $4000 to buy a 50 BMG just to shoot at old cars from a mile away. But what really scares me sometimes is the poeple who show up at a shoot dressed in camaflage and act like they are audioning for commando. Its a contest. It takes skill and agility, and its fun. Thats all.

I'm not a big wheelgun fan, but I do love the Colt 1911/.45 ACP and I can tell you it's a big pussycat to shoot. The muzzle jumps some, but it will with any high power handgun. The recoil is a nice satisfying shove, telling you you've launched a big chunk of lead, but nothing that will hurt your hand or upset your nerves. Shooting 100 rounds is nothing. OTOH, I've always found the recoil on wheelguns, even as small as a .38 Special, to be far more unpleasant than the 1911.

Just remember to keep that web of skin between your thumb and index finger out of the way of the slide :asdf:

Question:

How does the muzzle jump of a .40 S&W handgun compare with the muzzle jump of a .45 ACP?

I have a 9mm that out jumps and rolls many 40's or 45's, really you may need to compare what model and make you are looking at. My 9mm is a little compact thing and very light weight. The 40's I have shot seemed a lot tamer, but I think the same thing about my 41 mag compared to a 44 mag.

But what do I know anyway, as I was given my first daisy BB gun at 8 years and earned my first 20 gauge single shot shotgun 2 years later collecting pop bottles for a nickel and Magpie bounty for a nickel. Jack-rabbit bounty was then a quarter and with the buck and quarter per muskrat hide by 11 I had my Nylon 66 Remington semi-auto 22 rifle. By 15 it was on to the larger calibers and deer hunting, I might add alone as my father lost all interest in hunting.

Then came along a long line of old timers looking for a companion who would be silent and watch and learn as they ran their trap lines for bounty of $50 apiece and $50 for a good hide of a coyote old Ed Young shot a 22-250 and I personally stepped off more than 300 yards retrieving his coyote. When Dave Lye died in the early 90's it was an end of an era. Dave ran a bait and tackle shop in the summer months and a trap line during all the months with an R in them. Late 60's, early 70's Dave would pick up my buddy Rich Rouse and when the line brought them past my family farm they would stop and get me. Dark-thirty and often 30 below, setting out in Dave's old International Harvester Scout powered by a 4 cylinder engine with a top speed of 45 miles per hour and sound effects for a heater we would set out only to return after dark. Dave carried a 22 short pistol and an old bolt action Savage Arms single shot 22.

Dave was an accomplished trapper and one of the best hunters I have ever known. He could easily get within 50 yards of a coyote and put its eye out, the only other gun he owned was an old Winchester 30/30 and he bagged his elk every year as well as deer and antelope. Running the trap line with old Dave Young back then is where I gained my love of good single shots, still prefer them in rifles. That's why I got a good chuckle when several buddies tried to get me to join their AR15 club. Everyone of them are hunting freaks, everything they do with fire arms is to improve their skills for hunting and self-defense.

I know several shot-gunners that shoot skeet; they all do it to get better at their bird hunting. All the guys and gals I see at the shooting ranges I go to are there for the same reasons, I know of no one who doesn't shoot without hunting and/or self-defense in mind. But then what the hell do I know……..

Gun weight, barrel length, model differences, etc. aside...

If one shoots a .40 SW and a .45 ACP from two guns of the same manufacture and model, which gun (identified by caliber) is going to undergo the greater muzzle jump, and thus require more time and/or effort for re-sighting? Is the difference significant? Or slight?

Edited by Cynic

If one shoots a .40 SW and a .45 ACP from two guns of the same manufacture and model, which gun (identified by caliber) is going to undergo the greater muzzle jump, and thus require more time and/or effort for re-sighting? Is the difference significant? Or slight?

I can't really answer that, but did find this:

Typically you won't find huge differences between the premium defensive loads in 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp in stopping power, FPE, or however else you want to measure it. The 9mm is decent, the .40 is a little better, and the .45acp is a little better still.

The .45 leaves a slightly bigger hole (of course).

The .45acp is a big, but slow bullet getting most of its power from mass. This leads to a relatively strong level of recoil, but it is usually felt in the form of a slow, steady push that most people find quite easy to handle (and it is rarely unpleasant).

9mm is small and fast. Small enough that the total recoil isn't great, but the speed pushes it into your hand as a quick, sharp, snap. Not usually unpleasant due to the overall level of recoil.

.40 is kind of the worst of both. The heavier bullet means typically a stronger recoil impulse. It is a fast bullet though, so the stronger impulse is sent to your hand in a quick, sharp, snap. Many more people seem to find .40S&W recoil to be unpleasant than 9mm or .45acp.

The 9mm is a relatively small round. Due to that it can be put in much smaller packages than larger rounds or a larger gun can hold more rounds.

The .45acp is much bigger and either needs larger packages and/or fewer rounds.

The .40S&W is somewhere in between.

All are good rounds. All will serve you well. Do some research (you've started that here) borrow or rent guns in each to try. Find what appeals to you. Still, I think the more important factor is to find the platform (gun) that you prefer than the caliber you prefer when looking at these three options.

Generally speaking a .40 has less recoil than a .45 ACP. Thus a quicker return to sight picture. But this is a generalization. A 45 with a light slug will recoil less than a 40 with a heavy slug. The real answer is practice. The next answer is how the weapon fits your hand. This depends on the size of your hand and whether the gun is single stack or double stack.

The real question is why you are asking? When your adrenaline goes up due to fear, combat, or whatever your ability to see and aim change. This is where practice comes in. The more you shoot the better you handle it.

I am looking at a 9mm for contests. Mainly for the light recoil and the high capacity.

When I use to carry, I carried a Sig 380 with an aluminum frame. It was small and light. A 380 is usually considered the smallest caliber for self defense.