GreaseSpot Cafe

Shout to the Lord on American Idol

ex10

Jubal was cool. Harp players in the O.T. days. SWEET!!!

Now - I was in a band once, named "Cosby". The story of how the name was chosen, alone, would require I first confirm the Statute of Limitations has run out on the various kinds of activity that were involved. :biglaugh:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's very cool that a Christian worship song was chosen to be aired not once but twice on American Idol. Evidently, from what I've heard, the songs were chosen by the contestants as inspiration. It's comforting and exhilerating to me to think that a song exalting Jesus as Lord was chosen as "inspiration."

It's like the song just spontaneously combusted out of American Idol. What a delight and a surprise. :o I really enjoy these kinds of surprises in life.

i love you so much, outandabout !!!!!!

plus you other "guys' too

this was really sweet swet post

It's true, isn't it wordsnworks? I won't bore you with the details but the first time I heard one of their songs - not Shout, but another one - it stopped me cold. Or Hot. Or something. I was on a long drive, business, over nighter, alone, heading up highway 101 north to Eureka. Beautiful drive, sunset. Full moon coming over the hill. Popped the tape in and started FF ing through tunes, and stopped on "Sing of Your Great Love" and had to pull over and stop. Maybe it was the moment, the music, me. It reached me in a wonderful way. I listened to the tape all the way up and then back returning. Went into my Wife and said "this is - have you listened to all of this???" and she said, well, yeah. She'd given it to me. Really touched me.

i'm trying to think of christian songs i love

my favorite is "great is thy faithfulness"

and one that is really nice these says is

that one "i can only imagine"

love,ex

oh as far as jesus, god, savior.......

i don't even bother with arguing :)

Reading through this thread reminded me how special that song "Shout to the Lord" is to me. It brought back memories of when we first started attending a church several years after leaving TWI. This song in particular helped me get free from the shackles and fetters of way stiffness. I was able to join in with all of my heart in lifting holy hands to praise Him who is worthy of all praise, and lifting my feet in dancing before Him and lifting my voice in a shout to the Lord.

You said it well here.

I spent a lot of time crying during praise and worship at church right after I left TWI. I felt weird and stiff, but I so wanted to surrender myself. This kind of music helped me to loosen up in my Christian life.

I'm with Ex10 on this. It is refreshing to see network television putting this kind of thing on TV. And I completely disagree that it resembled anything like Singing Ladies.

Edited by Nottawayfer

Nice Tunes, Dot. Love the first one.

Another thought - the praise and worship "new movement" is hardly new. Black gospel - been aroun' the town for a long time. I don't know if it's culture shock, or just a lack of tan (little humor there) but the reaction to the p 'n' w being some kind of betty-be-lately new age movement seems well, mighty white. I don't want to go racial here, but it's really really odd to me - music - and some extremely good music - has been such a major part of black church congregations for generations. The "current" praise and worship "movement" is built on a long standing tradition. I think it took a bit to make that connection with the AI performance, but I've realized now that's the way it struck me - out of the ordinary for a TV show perhaps, but completely normal when celebrating a community coming together to help others. Dunno, maybe it's just me.

Here's a guy that brings the church with him. :)

Edited by socks

Note to Waysider - I read how to do it but then I could not flip to the instructions while posting- so here is the link to one of my all time favorites!!!

4him

I believe in faithfulness

I believe in giving to myself for someone else

I believe in peace and love

I believe in honesty and trust but it's not enough

For all that I believe may never change the way it is

Unless I believe Jesus lives

(chorus)

Where there is faith

There is a calling, keep walking

You're not alone in this world

Where there is faith

There is a peace like a child sleeping

Hope everlasting in He who is able to

Bear every Burden, to heal every hurt in my heart

It is a wonderful, powerful place

Where there is faith

There's a man across the sea

Never heard the sound of freedom ring

Only in his dreams

There's a lady dressed in black

In a motorcade of cadillacs

Daddy's not coming back

Our hearts begin to fall

And our stability grows weak

But Jesus meets our needs if only we believe

(chorus)

Where there is faith

There is a calling, keep walking

You're not alone in this world

Where there is faith

There is a peace like a child sleeping

Hope everlasting in He who is able to

Bear every Burden, to heal every hurt in my heart

It is a wonderful, powerful place

Where there is faith

Edited by Dot Matrix

The Rev. Al Green can testify, can't he? And that guy at 1:43 in the audience is about to go glassy diggin' it, I could see it. :biglaugh: I get the impression over the years that Green's quite a case of well, Al. One and only, that one. But I love singers who can so put themselves completely into their voice like that. I doubt there's anything he can't use his voice to do. :) And Hawkins has it too - great tune!Hillsongs does this one, long as we're here: "I Will Run to You" - my wif's favorite, too.

Love the lyric - not by might, not by power, but by the spirit of God...insightful lyrics, for those who have ears. (wiggle wiggle)

Edited by socks

I saw Hillsong at the Joyce Meyer conference (one of the best things I ever did for myself

Do you recall Andre Crouch --He used to get the crowd going as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfemys4COh4...feature=related

Jesus is the answer for the World today....

I went to Jesus 73 the same year I went to the ROA

Andre sang there!

Awesome!

Here is Ain't nobody do me like Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITIsDloQqw...feature=related

Edited by Dot Matrix