GreaseSpot Cafe

SPIN DOCTORS, BLECH!

JeffSjo

Recently a long time poster here stated that his/her purpose on this site was to provide a pro TWI spin on things.

I've been considering the matter ever since and I have some thoughts on the matter.

I'm not putting this in the doctrinal section because this poster was talking about TWI. I will bring up some scriptural points because I believe that they are relavent. I hope everyone feels free to participate with whatever they have to contribute though. I do not believe that a statement has to be scripturally based to be true, I just listen and consider their words.

When I consider this matter of "spin" and the scriptures, I tend to think of them as different, not the same.

When God has judged his own people he never needed spin nor are these things ever written of with any spin on the matter.King David, Moses, Judas, and even the apostle Peter has had their mistakes spoken of very honestly just to name a few. Why would anyone who wants to speak for God, as this poster seems to want to, admit to spin? I don't get it!

SPIN as it's used today's modern culture generally is an instituion's attempt to limit the damage that THE TRUTH has on their particular cause. It is common in politics, business, et.

Historically there is many examples of spin. One historian has noted that the victors write the history books.

IMO SPIN HAS NO PLACE HERE IN DISCUSSING THE TRUTH OF WHAT WENT ON IN TWI.

Any feedback anyone?

(edited for grammar)

Edited by JeffSjo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Jeff, My best guess is that people need to spin twi in a positive light because their whole identity is tied up in who they thought they were in twi.

It is very hard to go from God`s spiritually elite to dooped by a false prophet.

We don`t like to be wrong, Sometimes, we can`t bear the idea of having to start from scratch to re evaluate ourselves, our beliefs, and our understanding of the universe..you know?

It takes real meekness and humility to go to God and just cry from the depths of your being....*I don`t know ANYTHING*:(

The cool thing is ... is that together you and he can build a new and solid foundation without the cracks and patches of the old one.

Recently a long time poster here stated that his/her purpose on this site was to provide a pro TWI spin on things.

Any feedback anyone?

(edited for grammar)

Yes, please provide the exact quote where this poster "stated that his/her purpose on this site was to provide a pro-twi spin on things."

Edited by oldiesman

It would be simpler Oldies if you could just explain the remarks to me as I know that you could.

I'm betting that you wouldn't get me to change my mind, but I'm willing to listen to you.

Let's keep the conversation out here in the light where everyone could see it though.

Dear Rascal,

Thanks

A person has to be called to do that kind of thing, and even then there is no guarantee for success.

Well Jeff, My best guess is that people need to spin twi in a positive light because their whole identity is tied up in who they thought they were in twi.

It is very hard to go from God`s spiritually elite to dooped by a false prophet.

We don`t like to be wrong, Sometimes, we can`t bear the idea of having to start from scratch to re evaluate ourselves, our beliefs, and our understanding of the universe..you know?

rascal,

excellent analysis!!

and very succinctly stated...

:eusa_clap:

peace,

jen-o

Jeff, your first post referring to the other posters' purpose on the site (presumably mine) was spin. Not true. Spin. Go back and re-read the quote and the context in which it was written. I think if you want to criticize spin, perhaps you should not engage it in yourself?

Edited by oldiesman

Yes, please provide the exact quote where this poster "stated that his/her purpose on this site was to provide a pro-twi spin on things."

Pardon me for barging in here.

I don't think JEFSjo ever said it was an "exact quote".

An implied message can very well be a "statement" as well.

Here's a spin for you:

The early days of TWI were like lollipops, rainbows and warm fuzzy puppies.

OOPS! That's not a spin, it's a falsehood.

There is a difference, dontcha know!

Ever since I considered starting this particular thread I've been wondering if I should just say,"Sit on this and then spin."

But seriously, I bet many of you are tired of the spin. I think that many of you have seen much more of it than me too.

Oldies,

The reason I'm not naming names is because I don't want to engage in a dispute, I want discussion.

DUH!

Some people have got to have chapter and verse for EVERY LITTLE THING OR THEY FREAK OUT!

how many times do you have to realize(some people) that THE WAY screwed you,I say spin it all down the commode!

Jeff, but you still spinned and your first statement was inaccurate. How can you demand truth without being truthful yourself?

Regarding spin in the forums, I don't think it can be helped. Each person has their own perspective on things, and both pro-Wierwille/twi and anti-Wierwille/twi spin is allowed on the forums. I think most folks will agree on this point, I suppose.

Some people have got to have chapter and verse for EVERY LITTLE THING OR THEY FREAK OUT!

When I misquote or mischaracterize someone , i catch hell too, so it works both ways. Accuracy is important.

Edited by oldiesman

AAWW C'mon Oldies,

This isn't difficult.

I made scriptural and ethical statements concerning spin.

If your response to me is that spin regarding TWI's actions is ethical, that is straightforward.

My opinion is that because of the damage that the truth has on TWI, the truth is honorable and the spin is b.s.

There we both know where the other stands.

SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE

(added in editing)

These days spin is common. In general I do not like it. I think that in terms of ethics, spin and Biblical topics need to be diametrically opposed even though because of culture and/or human nature that is not an easy thing to accomplish.

It's something that any of us may at times fall into, but is that how TRUTH really works?

How about it Oldies?

Edited by JeffSjo

LOL, oklahoma city wow... now ain't that the truth!

p.s. so jeff wants to know why a person would come here with the intent to provide a pro-twi spin...

oldies seems to think that shoe fits him...

and seems to be trying to derail the thread by shifting the focus to his foot instead of the shoe that fits it...

Edited by jen-o

Hi Everyone,

I added some content to my last post on this thread, just so you know.

If anyone wants to continue this after I go, I'll be happy to read and catch up with where you all took this one.

BYE FOR NOW.

AAWW C'mon Oldies,

This isn't difficult.

I made scriptural and ethical statements concerning spin.

If your response to me is that spin regarding TWI's actions is ethical, that is straightforward.

My opinion is that because of the damage that the truth has on TWI, the truth is honorable and the spin is b.s.

There we both know where the other stands.

SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE

Jeff, you asked the question:

"Why would anyone who wants to speak for God, as this poster seems to want to, admit to spin? I don't get it!"

If you're referring to me, I have not claimed a want or need to speak for God on the forums, or even want to take on that responsibility. I'm here to post opinions, nothing more, nothing less. Similarly, I view all posters' opinions in that light, they are opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. That's where I stand, so you know where I'm coming from.

Dear Oldies,

That's where you're coming form? What was that again?

So, do you think that putting spin on TWI's disreputable actions is ethical or not?

What is your opinion on that?

C'MON OLDIES

This is a real simple question.

Ever since I considered starting this particular thread I've been wondering if I should just say,"Sit on this and then spin."

But seriously, I bet many of you are tired of the spin. I think that many of you have seen much more of it than me too.

Oldies,

The reason I'm not naming names is because I don't want to engage in a dispute, I want discussion.

DUH!

Aw, Jeffy Jeff....that sounds like a line out of "Happy Days" and I can just hear Joanie saying it or "rubber hose up your nose."

Geez Louise.

post-3206-1210891434_thumb.jpg

You know what to do with it!!!!

Dear Waysider,

Thanks for posting the song.

I laughed out loud throughout. Although I'm sure that many of the laughs were merely muffled snorts here in the old library.

Oddly enough Brideofjc; or then again maybe not; I thought of "Happy Days" too.

Leave Oldies alone!Thats one of the main reason I quit the Way because of their lack of concern and love for individual people.I cant stand to see anyone singled out.

I think we all are against thw wrongs that the Way did to people, but as the Way leaves drop off, lets love and confort them, and prove that theres still good loving people out here, and we are NOT going to jump down their necks for errors that the Way has brainwashed them with. :cryhug_1_:

Thats one reason why I dont "preach" my own doctrine a lot, but Id rather live love, so lets ease up on Oldiesman, and I have no idea what the reference is in some past post to "spinning" but I couldnt care less, I myself will NOT be affected by ANY opinion of the Way, because I beleve God himself delivered me from the Way, so I try and love other people who were victims of that organization

this old guy is in the dark

what is spin?

Hey there, coolchef

"Spin" is when you take a pig and dress it up in a fancy evening gown.

It might look better but it's still a pig.

Politicians are known to have people on their staffs that put a "spin" on negative publicity involving their candidates.

They do this by misrepresenting facts, omitting facts, using facts in a deliberately selective manner(that's called "cherry picking") or simply giving something a more appealing name.

Here's a couple simple examples:

1.I ask a garbage man what he does for a living and he tells me he is a "sanitary engineer".

2.Someone asks me if The Way is a cult and I reply that it is a "Biblical research and teaching ministry".

3.We weren't brainwashed, we "cleansed our minds with the integrity of The Word".

Any clearer now?

I cant stand to see anyone singled out.

steveo,

the original post did not mention any names...

and imo, the intent of the original post was to discuss the difference between truth and spin (especially pro-twi spin)

oldies singled himself out and has attempted to make this thread about him...

peace,

jen-o

Dear Steveo,

I can relate to your perspective and I'm glad that you do not condemn anyone here. If there are errors in what TWI taught (just to remain objective, I say it like that.) then it would be good to FACE the errors for all involved.

I have to agree with Jen-o in her points.

I deliberately left names out of this thread so that the chances of a pointless brawl would be better. Oldies took some exception to the thread however and then I did, and will, keep encouraging him for his input on the topic.

Who knows, we might all learn something.

steveo,

the original post did not mention any names...

and imo, the intent of the original post was to discuss the difference between truth and spin (especially pro-twi spin)

oldies singled himself out and has attempted to make this thread about him...

peace,

jen-o

Steveo, I'd like to add a few comments to Jeno's- you may find that some here would throw themselves under the steam roller to stop it from rolling over their quaint, antiseptic distant memory of what they consider the "good old days.."

some would go as far as to throw their own grandmother under the same steamroller..

whatever "drug" twi offered, some never got over the "rush" of the first fix

Edited by Ham