GreaseSpot Cafe

What about STD's?

Rejoice

It would seem that with SO much activity on the part of VPW, LCM, HA, etc., that the very active upper echelon would have contracted something! So many people from the hippie movement developed herpes which isn't life threatening, but lasts a lifetime, requires drugs to manage it, and if your immune system is really weak, it can morph into Hep B [that's also not widely known].

VP recruited so many hippie kids because of their free love philosophy, so it would seem logical that he would have contracted some form STD.

I have wondered if, perhaps, VPW's bizarre ideas and behavior might have been the result of late stage syphilis.

It's not infectious at this point.

No, I'm not saying he had syphilis, I am only saying I have wondered.

If he did, it would certainly explain a lot, including his physical ailments.

We met a man who was late 20's to early 30's I'd guesstimate at ROA '93.  He seemed very nice and knew many people that were there.  He flirted with any female he came across and spent late nights RV hopping.  Being married I didn't really ask many personal questions, but he was pretty open about what they were doing in the RV's and a few tents.

I remember he said he was from South Florida and worked as a waiter in a Denny's.  I never saw him again, but his name did come up a few years later in a conversation.  I inquired as to how he was and found out he had died.  No one seemed sad though, which made me wonder why.  That was when I was told he was a bi sexual, but preferred men over women, unless he was around TWI events and he chased only women so as not to be outted as a gay man.

He died of AIDS.   At times I think back to that ROA and all the women he was with.  (Possibly men too if they could keep it hidden.)  That was pretty easy at the ROA with all the people always walking here and there.  I never heard if anyone caught AIDS from him, but I didn't run in his circles, so it's not something that would have been talked about openly I wouldn't think.  All I can do is pray that every person that had sexual contact with him didn't get the HIV virus from him.

Actually, from what I remember, anyone going into the corps was required to be tested for STDs as part of the physical and medical clearance.

I was in the 5th corps and I knew people for several corps later and I never heard this.

I suppose that most of the people sexually picked on were not terribly active sexually before that (many were married and others probably tried to be celibate) so my guess is the risk of STDs was a lot smaller than it might have been with the same number of partners in the population at large.

I think if VPW's antics were the results of late term syphilis there would have been a huge outbreak of same and I'd never heard of that at all so I don't think that idea fits with the evidence.

3Cents, you would know for sure, wouldn't you? :)

I'm just darned certain that I read they did that, maybe it was under Craig's reign? I'm trying to find where I read it, but I think it was on WayDale because I'm having trouble finding it. It was people I know who said it - I just can't remember who. I vividly remember reading it, but not what WC they were in.

I did find this post here from at least one person who was tested.

I'm pretty sure Ch*** Z*** ran a VDRL to test for syphilis when he did our FWC physicals. They did draw blood, and could have tested for AIDS. This was in 1993.

This whole topic makes me think of how eager VP/LCM were to have physicians in TWI who could treat folks at HQ. No doubt this was so their dirty little secrets would not be revealed. Isn't a physician diagnosing an STD supposed to report it to the county health department so they can follow up, testing the patient's sex partners? Well maybe a well indoctrinated doctor could be persuaded to overlook that little detail.

Probably my own personal horror was with the above mentioned physician, who was not my doctor, only a friend or so I thought at the time, called me up in WA a few months after I was diagnosed with IDDM at the hospital in St. Mary's during ROA 1994 and demanded to know if that was indeed me. He said "they" gave all the records of anyone treated for anything who had come from the ROA to him for followup.

I to this day do not know if the hospitals gave him the information or as I suspect, TWI somehow got hold of it and gave it to him for followup, so they could check who was weak and spineless enough to have a phsyical illness in the ministry and watch them more closely. I do know I was watched closely after my diagnosis and straitly threatened not to talk about being diabetic to anyone, especially anyone outside the Household they were trying to lure on board the train to hell.

I do know for a certainty that I never signed off on giving TWI or CZ my medical records, so someone had to lie to get them.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

I think if VPW's antics were the results of late term syphilis there would have been a huge outbreak of same and I'd never heard of that at all so I don't think that idea fits with the evidence.

Syphilis, in its later stages, is not contagious.

I was in the 5th corps and I knew people for several corps later and I never heard this.

No hint of anything like that in the 8th corps either (or from my first branch leader at Indy who was 5th corps BTW).

Seems to me such an edict would be almost an announcement that things were going on; would they have dome that?

In the 90's lcm took sexual deviance to new levels of mental sickness.

There was not one woman that was safe from him imo.

He also, in his travels and SNS's would ask if anyone wanted to be on staff.

This was on Video, so he would know who raised a hand.

As far as STD's there were a number of methods to cover it up.

Blame the individual with accusations, typical, or just get em fixed and go some more.

Plenty more crap up their nastiness.

I'm sure there was a plan for this, since it was lcm's primary mission.

To 'get' as many as he desired.

Depends on the person.