GreaseSpot Cafe

Dog Breeds

Watered Garden

I was just thinking about this topic as many of us own dogs. We have had a mixed breed, half Lab and half Irish setter, a cocker spaniel, a wonderful yellow Lab and now another cocker spaniel, Miss Bodacious Buckeye. I love labs also but right now cannot manage the size, hair, etc.

Cockers used to be more popular than they are today, got inbred to a faretheewell, cross, health problems, the whole nine yards. Now some responsible breeders like the one I got Bucks from are breeding them back to health and good temperament.

Wish I could post a picture but I'm real lame at that. I got her from Pearson's Lexington cockers and she has a brother and a sister on the web page if you want to see sort of what she looks like. She's not a roan, though, a black and white tricolor, with peanut butter eyebrows and a true Buckeye attitude!

My least favorite is the Jack Russell terrier, because my sister-in-law has one that attacked Buckeye last weekend.

WG

Oh - I love Old English Sheepdogs! :3 They are so hyper and smart. We have a big girl named Momoko. I love Dachshunds as well even though they are barky and like to dig waaaay too much. They are worth it though.

I don't think there is a dog breed I don't like... just particular dogs with awful owners that either kill them with kindness (spoiled rotten) or make them mean.

I felt like that puppy looks when I was in FLO, at least a time or two.

I think the main problem with that Jack is that he is not very disciplined, and very very very attached to one person, to the extent he will growl at her husband if he touches his wife. This would earn Bucks a smack upside the head or at least a very very stern NO!.

I do think it is unusual for an adult dog to attack a puppy and even more unusual for a male to attack a female puppy. She's only 4 months old. She wasn't hurt, didn't try to defend herself particularly just yelped and moved closer to me. I picked her up and got his leash from around her. She didn't growl but she didn't whimper and shake either. I thought she did pretty well.

Nobody tried that with the first dog, Brandy, and only one or two tried it with Sophie. When Brandy was threatened by a snapping, snarling mini-dog, he just turned around and peed on them!

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

I, of course, am partial to border terriers. I'm pretty sure Jim will claim the same bias. :biglaugh:

I am particularly partial to THIS border terrier:

post-452-1217523265_thumb.jpg

WG, Jack Russell dogs are very high energy and they are very intelligent. They need lots of attention, exercise and training or they will misbehave like your SIL's. They have done that dog an injustice, I'm afraid.

There are good and bad qualities in every breed - it's just a matter of what you, personally prefer. I could not spend hours or megabucks grooming my dog, so any breed that requires that is automatically "off" my short list. I do like many of those dogs, just not for me.

I've had two golden/chow mixes that were not only beautiful but bright, funny and just plain awesome dogs.

Nero, I don't much care for doxies because of the yipping and whatnot, but those things sure kick boo-tay in earthdog.... as do jack's and borders. :wink2:

ed012.jpg

gotogroundborder.JPG

Belle - what a cute face that pup has!

I agree the Jack in question has had very little training in manners. He is even allowed to hop up on the dining room chairs, and thence to the table itself to graze around.

Sadly, these folks had a truly awesome chocolate lab who was about 13-14 years old. She was a faithful companion, a wonderful friend, but as she got older, she had a cough that was never satisfactorily explained, and then, horror or horrors, she peed by the back door at 5:30 in the morning after failing to arouse anyone to let her out! This happened twice and that was it. SIL insisted the dog be put down, and they dropped her off and left her at the vet because it would be so painful for THEM to watch her die!

Let me tell you something: If Sophie had not been in pain, I would be thankfully cleaning up after her to this day.

But they already had the Jack. He has the run of the house. Once last year when I had to stay there overnight I came into the room and he was going through my luggage. We had a very hard staring contest over that one, which I won. I just think he is hardheaded and used to getting his own way.

It is odd to me that someone could have two dogs of such different breeds. Labs and cockers are at least both friendly, sweet natured dogs.

Another breed I like is the golden retriever. My cousin has had several. They are good, kind, sweet dogs.

I like the looks of German Shepherd dogs but I would never have the stamina to keep up with them or the alpha tendencies to train them properly.

WG

My favorite breed is Cardigan Welsh Corgi and I finally got my "wish" last year when we got Tanker:

l_ee919b6ea67296541ba38f91e2335a2e.jpg

DSCF1859.JPG

Tanker is a gem of a dog - he's great with the kids and cats. He's very smart and has been easy to train (he's the best behaved of my kids!) I get tons of comments on him everywhere we go because Cardis are rare in this area. I fell in love with Corgis when I lived in the south and didn't realize they were more regional than they are. Tanker is from Oklahoma and is a retired show dog. He was retired at just a year old because he's a "fluff" - long haired - which is a recessive gene that comes up every now and then - but he's pure CWC and has the best corgi personality!

Edited by ChasUFarley

For the cute-ness factor, I vote for the Affenpinscher aka Monkey Dog because the face looks so much like a monkey. They are very similar to Schipperkes, WG.

Affenpinscher.jpg

And the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen: such a cute, scruffy little dog.

lg_pbgv1.jpg

Hmmm..... I seem to have a thing for scruffy dogs.

There is a couple with five - count 'em FIVE - basset hounds in our neighborhood. Coolest thing to see them all walking, especially if they've picked up the scent of something interesting. :biglaugh: One of the bassets is missing right now, so I always keep my eyes peeled for the bugger. I sure hope someone finds him before he gets hurt.

For the most part I like most dogs. My favorite are labs, we've had around all 21 years of our married life. The present one is a black one named Isobella, named by the kidlet while she was learning about Christopher Columbus.

We also have a Yorkshire terrier, Maggie, my first and last small dog. She is funny because she bosses the lab and our 3 cats around. I love her but she barks way too much for me.

As Maggie is getting up in years and starting to have big time arthritis in her back, we are starting to have to think about putting her to sleep. :( We will cry for her and miss her.

When we next get a dog I would like a Great Dane. I have always wanted one and would like to get one before I am too old to handle it!

The only dog that I am unsure about are pit bulls and only because people are inbreeding them way too much. And here in Texas (I think they are the Texas state dog) almost every week somebody gets bitten, owner included. I don't so much blame the dogs they are bred for fighting. But I do blame the owners for not thinking about what the breed is for and for not checking the breeding, and for not teaching them obedience.

I guess I bring this up because about a year ago an elderly lady was mowing her yard on a riding mower and her neighbor's 2 pits pulled her off the mower and killed her. The trial was just this last month. The pit bull's owner was held accountable and owes the lady's family quite a bit of money now. There are also new laws about if you own a dangerous dog you must keep it restrained where it cannot hurt anyone. The 2 pits were kept in a chain link fence and climbed over. Was too awful to hear about.

Chas, those corgis have the greatest personality. :biglaugh: Tank is one handsome dude!

In fact, I'm listening to James Herriott's collection on CD right now and just finished the story of a bull terrier & corgi that were best of friends with the corgi being just about the only dog the terrier didn't constantly try to kill. He even let the corgi bite and tug on his ears. .... oh, you probably know it. Anyway, was reflecting this morning on how cool corgis are and how I miss the one who used to live down the street from me. :)

tcat, my first dog was named after the first dog I ever loved - a great dane named Duchess. Lovely, lovely dog! Great protection, too!

Chas, those corgis have the greatest personality. :biglaugh: Tank is one handsome dude!

In fact, I'm listening to James Herriott's collection on CD right now and just finished the story of a bull terrier & corgi that were best of friends with the corgi being just about the only dog the terrier didn't constantly try to kill. He even let the corgi bite and tug on his ears. .... oh, you probably know it. Anyway, was reflecting this morning on how cool corgis are and how I miss the one who used to live down the street from me. :)

tcat, my first dog was named after the first dog I ever loved - a great dane named Duchess. Lovely, lovely dog! Great protection, too!

I love love love James Herriott's work. He's always been one of my favorite authors - maybe it's because my parents were both humane agents and they also liked reading his works. I remember reading "All Creatures Great & Small" at a young age. Wonderful story teller!

Anyhow... Tanker was chosen as our dog because he was a compromise of what hubby and I both love. Hubby likes small dogs - his fav was a Lhasa Apso (sp?) whereas my favorite breed is German Shepherd. Because we have cats, I didn't want a sight hound or any type of breed that might go after cats. After careful consideration, I found that Cardigans were our best bet. We located Tanker through the Cardigan Welsh Corgi association website. Tanker even has his own MySpace page... before you think I've gone around the twist, this is so that he can keep in touch with his breeder, which is part of my adoption agreement with her.... He's got Tuxedo Junction by The Glenn Miller Orchestra as his music.... I thought it was fitting!

post-768-1217734331_thumb.jpg

But then I'm always leaning toward my two shi tzu's whom I also love and adore.

post-768-1217734668_thumb.jpg

Here is my other shi tzu

I have more pics of the wolf dog, Junior, I finally learned how to put pics in.

Our first dog was half yellow lab and half Irish setter. He was smart, rowdy, and could be as independent as a hog on ice. His name was Brandy.

Brandy grew to be larger than either of his parents. He was not particularly aggressive, but had no trouble defending himself or his humans.

One day we were out for a walk and these three juvenile delinquents who should have been in school challenged me, "Hey! Does that dog bite?"

I just smiled. "Wanna come over and fine out?"

They left me strictly alone after that.

He never picked on little dogs who came up to challenge him, though. He just lifted his leg and peed on them.

WG