GreaseSpot Cafe

Doctorates, and other qualifications fit for the outhouse..

Ham

all done in the guise that- they are TEACHING the corps HOW to WORK?

Oh it was soooo much more than that... <_<

If you missed it in the physical you'd...

I can't even finish that sentence without my stomach churning.

Everyone line up shoulder to shoulder. We need to clean every scrap of paper and cigarette butt off the lawn...

And that's how it's done... sigh...

Sick - huh?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe if you donate your truck, they'l "let" you come back to "twig"..

I left of mine own free will,I would not "go back to twig"even if they kis@ my as@

Once bitten twice shy,To any here I would give the shirt off my back,If you needed it,

twi?zip zero,nada,squat,phftttttt!They put it too me,one time too many.

There is so many doctors herein this town,it is unreal,The docs all call each other by thier first name.

My father in law was a phd in chemistry,not once did I hear anyone call him Dr.

(If he ever called wierwille dr it was said with much contempt)Yes he did take pfal,He "faked sit by speaking french!Somehow (and it still is) funny,simply hilarious,The "leader was soo full of herself,after all she was "corps"with a "degree"He he

Most Community Colleges do have credits that transfer to a 4 year school. They have matriculation to State and other Universities--they are almost always set up in a transfer manner. Same with technical colleges. College 100 courses do not transfer, but they are not always needed--unless you have been out of school for awhile and forgot how to write, add or subtract---most Community Colleges will just let you test out of them.

Community Colleges are a great way to get back to school. Many people do their first two years there and transfer to a 4 year school. I would encourage anyone looking to get back to school to check out their local CC.

Ask about transfer. It is a great place for non-traditional students to get their feet wet again. It is less expensive and can actually be a better education than a 4 year school. Smaller classes.

I used to advise at a CC and tutor History to ESL and non-traditional students. I love the CC system. It attracts some great educators.

Just like Atlanta Bible College--Emporia probably would have had to change some core doctrines to become accredited as a theological institution. It may have been different in the 1970's.

I caught an ad on TV for ITT and it specifically said that "some credits may not transfer." That was what I was going by.

As long as the credits travel with you CC is a great deal.

I caught an ad on TV for ITT and it specifically said that "some credits may not transfer." That was what I was going by.

As long as the credits travel with you CC is a great deal.

ITT is a "tech school". Different from a community college.

At the community college I attended, we used to have nursing students come over from "THE" big state college down the road to take their anatomy & physiology 101 requirements because the classes were much smaller, had better lab sessions than the state school and were regarded to be the better value.

Thomas Loy Bumga, back in those days there was no such thing as prosecution for that sort down here in the deep south. A man had the right to do whatever he wanted. I remember my mama calling the sheriff because my step-dad was shooting up the place. He was drunk. They arrived and said, laughing, "aaww, Bill what are you doing this time." They locked him up in the drunk tank that night and brought him back home the next day.

There were no resources for women to turn to.

And Rascal, I spoze we can discuss when my pea brain figgers out what I posted to appear I had opposing viewpoints.

I dunno, Hammy

Maybe 'the critics" are related to the famous "They" family.

You know----"They" say this and "They" say that---

Or as Dr. John once said, "Who are "they" and has anybody ever seen them?"

:biglaugh:

Responding to waysider's quote: My uncle used to feed us moon pies when we helped him work :-) We'd work for that, an ice cold bottle of coke (thick short glass bottles), nabs, and 75 cents per hr.

Edited by waterbuffalo

• 2 weeks later...
And to once again set the record straight...

VP got his master's at Princeton Theological Seminary, not Princeton University.

Now, PTS is a real seminary, still is, and churns out real pastors. (One of our Greasespotters went there post-TWI.) But it isn't PRINCETON.

Good idea about setting the record straight.

I took some time to look into it, and it appears one can't make a blanket statement saying there is no connection at all or that the two are identical.

It's a little more complex than than.

I googled Princeton Theological Seminary.

First up was a Google map that appears to show the West Windsor Campus of the seminary located on the campus of Princeton University. and This is the website of Princeton Theological Seminary.

In the history of the school given on the site, I found the following:

The establishment of The Theological Seminary at Princeton by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in 1812 marked a turning point in American theological education. Within the last quarter of the eighteenth century, all learning was of a piece and could be adequately taught and studied in the schools and colleges, nearly all of which were church initiated. General education was also the context for professional studies in divinity, medicine, and the law. In the first quarter of the nineteenth century, professional training became disengaged from the college curriculum, medical and law schools were established, and seventeen divinity schools and seminaries came into existence....

...The plan to establish a theological seminary at Princeton was in the interests of advancing and extending the theological curriculum. It was not, as has sometimes been intimated, a sectarian withdrawal from secular university life. The educational intention was to go beyond the liberal arts course by setting up a postgraduate, professional school in theology. The plan met with enthusiastic approval on the part of authorities at the College of New Jersey, later to become Princeton University, for they were coming to see that specialized training in theology required more attention than they could give.

Under "Campus Life," I found the following:

Princeton University began as The College of New Jersey in 1746 and many decades later Woodrow Wilson became its president and then went on to the White House. Albert Einstein, too, strolled the streets of the town from his home on Mercer Street, just below the Seminary, to his office at the Institute for Advanced Study. The Princeton of today is much changed from its colonial past. The University still stands at the center of the community, but several other academic institutions known for excellence in their fields have joined it — the Westminster Choir College, the Institute for Advanced Study, the Center for Theological Inquiry, and, of course, the Seminary....

....Affiliated from the beginning with the Presbyterian Church and the wider Reformed tradition, Princeton Theological Seminary is today a denominational school with an ecumenical, interdenominational, and worldwide constituency. This is reflected in the faculty, in the curriculum of studies, and in the student body.

and then at the bottom of the page,

An Institution of the Presbyterian Church (USA)

So it appears that Princeton Theological Semminary was founded as a part of Princeton University by the Presbyterian Church.

At major universities, it is common for them to have branches so large that they are referred to as "schools," not because they are entirely separate, unconnected institutions.

I also googled Princeton University and this is their website home page

If you clic on "Visiting Campus" and go to Campus Map you'll see the grounds of the seminary included, just as they are on the other map.

Noodling arond the Princeton University site, I took a look at their Religion Department. There, the graduate courses for this fall include classes on religions other than Christianity, so that would help understand why the Presbyterian Church would want to endow a separate school on campus for seminary instruction.

As I looked around the seminary site, a significant degree of independence from Princeton is apparent, perhaps due to the connection with the Presbyterian Church.

For example, the two have different chapels.

There is a separation between the faculties.

Princeton University is a secular institution whereas the seminary, of course, is not.

I would guess that keeping them separate has tax and other legal ramifications.

My guess would be they have separate books for financing.

On the Princeton University site, I searched for the theological seminary and This FAQ came up, which shows the extent of the division between the two. It says there is no "organic connection," we see they work together in other ways, for example students at the seminary can use the secular school's library.

I couldn't find whether seminary students can get into university keggers.

The university has other schools, such as the Princeton School of Architecture, which also has its own faculty and structure. My guess would be the school of architecture, though separate, is more closely tied to the rest of the university because it doesn't have the theological aspect.

Perhaps someone can dig deeper and find out if Princeton Theological Seminary doesn't have the rigorous academic standards that Princeton University does, which would gve merit to the implication that Wierwille got a masters from some slacker school glomming on to the name of Princeton just to make themselves look good.

That argument is eroded when we discover that a Masters Degree from the Princeton Theological Seminary is the highest qualification listed for an Associate Dean of Religious Life and the Chapel at Princeton.

So, what we see are the two schools are closely affiliated in some ways, but in others they are separated.

Ptrinceton University established the seminary, but it is separate in a number of ways and joined in a number of others.

It would be instructive to discover how Princeton Theological Seminary ranked academically with other seminaries in thecountry at the time V.P. was there, and see if he had a degree from a prestigious school or some fly-by-night rinky-dink institution whose students couldn't get into other, more selective seminaries.

And that is the crux of the matter, isn't it?

Was the man's masters degree from the seminary a significant academic achievement or not?

After all, the fact that Harvard Law School is not the same as Harvard doesn't make a degree from Harvard Law any less significant, does it?

Personally, I don't give a rat's patootie if he had a legitimate PhD from Oxford.

It would not negate the vile nature of the scam he ran out of New Knockwurst, Ahia.

In fact, it would probably shed a more favorable light on him if the degree was proven worthless.

Who would want to be known for abusing a REAL degree from a prestigious organization to orchestrate the mayhem that has become his legacy?

Personally, I don't give a rat's patootie if he had a legitimate PhD from Oxford.

It would not negate the vile nature of the scam he ran out of New Knockwurst, Ahia.

In fact, it would probably shed a more favorable light on him if the degree was proven worthless.

Who would want to be known for abusing a REAL degree from a prestigious organization to orchestrate the mayhem that has become his legacy?

Those would be separate topics, better dealt with in a separate discussion thread.

This subject of this one is his academic credentials and more specific in the immediate case, whether a master's degree from the Princeton Theological Seminary is a degree "fit for the outhouse" or represents more substantial academic achievement.

In the various forums on the board, please not that discussion threads have titles which indicate the subject being discussed.

This serves to organize and focus discussions on a particular subject.

That way, when the subject is, sayyy, academic credentials, the conversation is on academic credentials, rather than, say, sports or favorite recipes..... Those topics would get their own discusson threads.

See how that works, having things organized and all?

Those would be separate topics, better dealt with in a separate discussion thread.

This subject of this one is his academic credentials and more specific in the immediate case, whether a master's degree from the Princeton Theological Seminary is a degree "fit for the outhouse" or represents more substantial academic achievement.

In the various forums on the board, please not that discussion threads have titles which indicate the subject being discussed.

This serves to organize and focus discussions on a particular subject.

That way, when the subject is, sayyy, academic credentials, the conversation is on academic credentials, rather than, say, sports or favorite recipes..... Those topics would get their own discusson threads.

See how that works, having things organized and all?

I think my comments were totally within the basic framework of the topic.

Does it offend you when you hear mr. wierwille disparaged?

so.. why did he abandon any kind of *legitimate* work for his *doctorate*

now.. I'm out of breath.. on my way to a bachellor's in math.. a minor in chemistry..

I really appreciate the kind of work required for any kind of degree to begin with.. and even if hell freezes over, they are not going to simply give it to me..

sooo.. the *mogster* already has an actual legitimate master's degree..

what's gives here..?

He goes from the potential of actually *being* what he claimed.. to what only he could repudiate he claimed..

I dunno..

it's sometimes hard to try to put one's self in another's shoes..

can't say I haven't tried..