GreaseSpot Cafe

Why the Bord of Directors own TWI?

themex

Why ther is no Wierwille now in the Board of Directors of TWI and why they have run, fired almost all the amily members frome the organization? It was a family business and they ended with noting trying to star all over again.

Hi themex,

I'm thinking that the direct answer to your question may be something like,"Because things at TWI" were not as we were told that they were. At TWI the politicing, the backstabbing, the seeking power, and the corruption was just as bad as anywhere else except that in this case it was all done in the Lord's name.

But I'd be interested in hearing other perspectives.

(edited for grammar)

Edited by JeffSjo

What type of person would want that position?

Hi, for the Wierwille family was its property, the family farm and TWI is making very good money. 25 million us dollars is very good money for a family. For doing nothing. Also Camp Gunison and the money from all this years.

Hi JeffSjo!

Hi, for the Wierwille family was its property, the family farm and TWI is making very good money. 25 million us dollars is very good money for a family. For doing nothing. Also Camp Gunison and the money from all this years.

Hi JeffSjo!

It no longer belongs to the wierwille family.

It belongs to the corporation.

Here's the short answer...

The Way International was granted non-profit tax exempt status many years ago. VP and Uncle Harry gave their share of the Wierwille property to The Way. I understand that brother Ruben did not and was bought out by The Way. Once the property belonged to The Way, the Wierwille family had no direct control over it.

The Way International is not controlled by the Wierwille family because they lost majority control of the Board of Directors. For whatever reason, VPW did not choose to continue to appoint family members to the board after Uncle Harry and Don. He could have and he could have charged the family members to keep control in the family. He didn't or couldn't, for reasons unknown to me.

Understand that even the board of directors are quite restricted on what they can do with the assets of TWI. They can't just cash it out and keep the money. They can just let it idle along and pay themselves very comfortable paychecks.

It no longer belongs to the wierwille family.

It belongs to the corporation.

Hi, and God bless you all.

Yes I know all belongs to the corporation but the family is not a shareholder in some for?

Or some one in the family is a shareholder who recives benefits, money for the trademark and all the incomes?

Here's the short answer...

The Way International was granted non-profit tax exempt status many years ago. VP and Uncle Harry gave their share of the Wierwille property to The Way. I understand that brother Ruben did not and was bought out by The Way. Once the property belonged to The Way, the Wierwille family had no direct control over it.

The Way International is not controlled by the Wierwille family because they lost majority control of the Board of Directors. For whatever reason, VPW did not choose to continue to appoint family members to the board after Uncle Harry and Don. He could have and he could have charged the family members to keep control in the family. He didn't or couldn't, for reasons unknown to me.

Understand that even the board of directors are quite restricted on what they can do with the assets of TWI. They can't just cash it out and keep the money. They can just let it idle along and pay themselves very comfortable paychecks.

But andybobdy could buy it, the mark, the farm, camp Gunnison? or ther is some tipe for to invest and be the new owner? Thake out the control of the board?

There are no shareholders in a non-profit corporation. The whole point of a non-profit is that it gets tax advantages in return for not giving profits to investors/owners.

Yes but the now they are The Way Inc. and have copy rights and a trade mark?

But andybobdy could buy it, the mark, the farm, camp Gunnison? or ther is some tipe for to invest and be the new owner? Thake out the control of the board?

Nope, it doesn't work that way. A non-profit has to stay a non-profit forever. The only thing that can be done is to give the non-profit organization to a similar non-profit organization.

Now the property can be sold, like Rome City and Emporia were. But the money still has to stay in the non-profit corporation. It can't go to the investors because there aren't any.

As to the copyrights and trademarks, they are no different from any other asset the non-profit owns. They belong to TWI and TWI can enforce them. Just like the Catholics can trademark Knights of Columbus, etc.

Edited by Jim

Nope, it doesn't work that way. A non-profit has to stay a non-profit forever. The only thing that can be done is to give the non-profit organization to a similar non-profit organization.

Now the property can be sold, like Rome City and Emporia were. But the money still has to stay in the non-profit corporation. It can't go to the investors because there aren't any.

As to the copyrights and trademarks, they are no different from any other asset the non-profit owns. They belong to TWI and TWI can enforce them. Just like the Catholics can trademark Knights of Columbus, etc.

An we as stakeholder could not get rid of the board and put a new one? For example the Way Corps that are all over the world may not recover TWI for the belivers, for the grads?

http://waycorps.ning.com/

Edited by themex

An we as stakeholder could not get rid of the board and put a new one? For example the Way Corps that are all over the world may not recover TWI for the belivers, for the grads?

That's the beauty of it. Nobody is a stakeholder. Sure, we gave them millions, but problem is that we gave them the money. We didn't demand representation on the board and VPW most assuredly did not want us to have representation. We have no contract with them and no legal recourse to control them. And VPW was pretty clear about letting us know that this is the way it was.

That's the beauty of it. Nobody is a stakeholder. Sure, we gave them millions, but problem is that we gave them the money. We didn't demand representation on the board and VPW most assuredly did not want us to have representation. We have no contract with them and no legal recourse to control them. And VPW was pretty clear about letting us know that this is the way it was.

But to whom belongs the money? Just to Rosie and the yes boss guys?

It doesn't belong to anyone. It belongs to the corporation. No different from IBM or Ford.

that's correct. the board of directors is locked up tight, too, since it's a non-profit. they can change the mission and direction of the corporation as much as they want to, within the laws governing a non-profit. they don't own it, but they might as well, they way they're running it.

So there is no form of recover TWI?

Fore example all the splinters, and we, and all donate and buy it? and send away the board?

and do frome TWI what its supposed to be!

Edited by themex

Fore example all the splinters, and we, and all donate and buy it? and send away the board?

no, there is no recovery for twi unless it comes from the BOD. the roots are rotten, so the tree will be weak and will die, eventually. as long as a few people can sit on millions of non-profit dollars, it will be what it is.

if everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, except the BOD and their close lackeys cut ties with twi, then it's possible it's legal existence would be difficult to justify, and it will certainly be a lot more difficult to maintain the appearance of a "ministry", but I think the BOD will fight to keep it going however they can, just to ensure their retirement fund stays intact, even if it means selling off most of the property and turning it into a local church.

How small would their "church" have to be before they loose their "retirement"?

possibly non-existent, unless someone wants to take them to court to make a case that the non-profit should be dissolved.

Jim;

I think has given all the answers that apply to the original question, excellent, Jim. If people want to know more, its generally pretty easy to look up descriptions and statues and all sorts of details about non-profits. My best guess, common sense, is that they conform to Ohio state regulations and I am thinking that in being a non-profit their reporting requirements for say public inspection are pretty limited.

Here is a gem, I sort of ran into some time ago. As I recall it, and certainly there are a couple people from Ohio on GSC. The ability to investigate criminal type things, is dependent on the sheriff. I ran into this some years ago, and I am adding this to the post as its a bit uncommon. Now, I also admit, my memory is rusty on this, so this might even be a county ordinance or statue. And anybody, if you know what I am referring to, do jump in with more details....michael

themex,

AND...........twi board members have three signatures on THE WAY OF CANADA non-profit papers!

I wonder what the Canadian folk would think if they found THAT out???

:asdf:

Edited by skyrider

The reason, I imagine, would be that he was dead. Don was on the board when VP died in 1985, and remained so until 1997.

Edited by Mark Clarke

Y'know, we were told right from the beginning that there are no members of The Way. Did it say that in PFAL? I remember VPW saying on film that you couldn't "join" the Way but you were welcome at twigs, meetings, etc. Just the BoD are the "members" - the ones with control.

Kinda gives a new meaning to not being a member, really, when you realize how few rights we had and the non-existent voice to speak up for the general direction of the "ministry" and use of the money. (Not that everyone in an organization having at least a 5 figure membership should have an equal voice, down to the newest "twiggie".)