GreaseSpot Cafe

Every Day with Jesus/Daily Bread

Twinky

Some of you may recall from PFAL that VPW said that these daily bible reading booklets "would always leave you short" or "would let you down just when you really needed help". We weren't told not to read them, but they (along with mainstream churches) were looked down on, and we were discouraged from having anything to do with them.

It's easy to see why: it might distract from what was taught in PFAL, and it would give us a source of reference outside TWI so that TWI's control over us could not become a stranglehold.

Over several recent months, I have been given the up-to-date bible study booklet - mine's called Daily Bread (from Scripture Union), but there are lots of others. The current readings (for two weeks) are a study of Nehemiah, and the integrity of the life of a leader. Other studies for this quarter include: Journeying with God; Looking back to get ahead; Judgment and mercy. In my bible I have a page that I tore out from the reading for 9 August last looking at Luke 13:10-17 which really hit me in the heart.

I wonder if any of you read from these little booklets, and if you find them helpful? They may take you to bible passages that you wouldn't otherwise think to read. They may develop a line of thinking that is new for you. If so, is there anything you would particularly care to share?

And before this thread is derailed right from the start, can I just say,

• it's not not not not NOT about the actual words used by VPW
  • but it's about whether the booklets have helped you see something new, different, or helpful to you.

• Upvote 1

Cheranne, have you used any of these little booklets? If so, what have you learned or seen that's helped you?

Other Cafe patrons: If you've used this type of booklet but no longer do so, is that because:-

It "let you down"? It was not helpful?

Or is it just that you are on some other sort of study program/regime/timetable?

Or do you prefer to just "do your own thing" when it comes to reading the Bible rather than follow a loosely-structured booklet?

A link to the online version for the day, for those who may be interested. One further click will give you the continuing content of the Bible section; click on Main Point for the thought they'd like you to consider for your own life.

http://www.scriptureunion.org.uk/2981.id

Dear Twinky,

I haven't used them. I have no good reason to look down on them either, in other words I'm not against them.

There were times in my life more recently where I was sooo down that absolutely any scripture from any source seemed to be speaking directly to my heart. I'm not saying anything at all about the individual source. It's just that the ones that I happened to hear hit me like that.

Right now I don't feel the need for a structured format like you are describing either.

Twinky,

In the past I have read them occasionally and they were good--some days, very good. They were thought provoking, comforting, inspiring--all that sort of thing. I haven't read any of them for around five years.

The Full Gospel people have a version of that that was my absolute favorite. Theirs seemed to hit whatever it was that I needed on the head for the moment. But, can't remember the name of their little booklets. Same format, though.

• Upvote 1

Abingdon/Cokesbury publishes The Upper Room; Augsburg Fortress has Light For Today; Forward Movement has Day By Day; American Lutheran Publicity Bureau has For All The Saints; Moravian Daily Texts; and Phillip Pffateicher's Festivals and Commenerations; plus Lesser Feasts and Fasts from Church Publishing. All use scripture(s) on daily basis plus short commentaries for the theme(s)

I wonder if any of you read from these little booklets, and if you find them helpful? They may take you to bible passages that you wouldn't otherwise think to read. They may develop a line of thinking that is new for you. If so, is there anything you would particularly care to share?

And before this thread is derailed right from the start, can I just say,

• it's not not not not NOT about the actual words used by VPW
  • but it's about whether the booklets have helped you see something new, different, or helpful to you.

Thanks, yes, there's lots of stuff out there, in booklets and online.

Just wondering if people have found them helpful, and not (as prophesied by VPW) that they let you down. If people find them helpful in overcoming or rebutting TWI doctrines. If people found they were enabled to deal with things in their lives, walk closer with God.

• 6 months later...

I just felt minded to resurrect this old thread again.

I don't always read these but I do get the email version of the booklets, which offers other things and goes into a bit more commentary.

Today's reading is from Exodus 19:1-6,16-25.

The commentary gies this as one of its points to ponder:

text_icon.gif God's grace

The grace of God rescues Israel from Egypt and brings them into relationship with him (v 4), just as it does for Christians (see Ephesians 2:8,9). But the privilege of grace carries the responsibility of obedience to God expressed in his covenant (v 5).

Man! Sometimes you just need to hear or see that, and note the difference between the TWI version of "grace" and what living in grace really is.

(Or maybe I've just read lately too many threads about the abusiveness of TWI and that's why it hits home?)

Edited by Twinky

Well--Im not a churchgoer, particularly spiritual or even a professing christian of any sort but every once in a while I'll have some sort of "urge" for afew weeks or months.

I have picked up those Daily Bread Magazines from time to time and followed them for a little while and found them to be a good and often times inspirational part of my day.

Ive had a few online things as well from time to time. The one that I enjoyed the most was from an episcopalian website HERE which was basically the daily lectionary, prayers, hymns and the Anglican order of service for that day--It is very easy to read--usually 10 or 15 minutes --and sometimes it was very rich

Edited by mstar1

I used to use the Upper Room. I can't recall if it was subscription or how I got my hands on it. One day, it just wasn't there any more and I was really busy and never followed up. I really did enjoy it though.