GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Corps

Twinky

This post really relates to those who have served in the Way Corps.

I've noticed on the Way Corps site that there are a number of Corps signing up who are still in TWI. Obviously the policy of "no using the internet" has long since gone by the board.

In a post there, I saw that someone has suggested that current serving Corps may be seeking to hook up with dropped Corps with a view to inviting dropped Corps back to TWI.

Hooking up again with old friends and acquaintances is one thing; I'm just wondering if anyone has been approached by former Corps with the invitation to return?

If any of you who are "out" are now in contact through the WC site with "innie Corps", how have they been to speak to/email with?

Waysider, not sure what you're trying to say with that video, which adds nothing to the specific request:

I'm just wondering if anyone has been approached by former Corps with the invitation to return?

If any of you who are "out" are now in contact through the WC site with "innie Corps", how have they been to speak to/email with?

Twinky, no one's approached me on that site about returning to twi or the Way Corps. Either I've managed to avoid anyone who would ask such a thing (using my finely tuned Waydar), or they've managed to avoid me (using their finely tuned non-Waydar). Either way, it works for me! :dance:

I have no animosity toward any of the innies there, except for a couple who gave me a really hard time way back when. I actually like the fact that the ex-wayfers and the current wayfers can coexist without ripping each other's heads off.

Waysider, I don't see the site in the way your song would lead people to believe....not at all. There are a handful of people in the "everything was rosy" camp, but they're in the minority, IMO. You've got everything from ordained ministers in mainstream churches, ordained ministers in some not so mainstream churches, people in twi offshoots, people doing their own thing as Christians, people doing their own thing as non-Christians...the whole gamut. There are some pretty lively discussions there, but for the most part people seem able to disagree without being obnoxious.

So anyway, Twinky, did anyone approach you about going back?

Oh, I just noticed your other question, about what it's like to e-mail, etc., with innies. Dunno. I haven't done that.

Hooking up again with old friends and acquaintances is one thing; I'm just wondering if anyone has been approached by former Corps with the invitation to return?

None have invited me back to TWI from that site not even a hint. Although I did run into a ol' Corps pal a few years ago and he wondered why I left, he figured I left due to Martindale and thought since he's gone I might want to return.. Umm, yeah right! lol..

But my emails with innies from The Corps site have gone alright. Mostly how they are doing, how I'm doing, and we keep the details of current Way dealings out. But kind of hard to get much further when you don't speak much of what's going on in the Way now. They actually seem to not want to discuss what's going on now, since they know I might disagree being out. So much for having any lengthy great discussions with em.

I think (and I'm one of those inferior worthless souls who never graduated from the ivied towers of holiness known as The Way Corps, but like Waysider I was in Fellow Laborers of Ohio, which was actually a sort of in-state part time Way Corps, with the exact same five principles (Acquire an in-depth spiritual perception and awareness, run your butt off every morning, yada yada), and after careful consideration, and realizing of course that all you wonderful men of God and women of God who actually did graduate from that exalted program have warm memories of your time there, and whatever else you enjoyed about it, fellowship, leadership position, whatever, I think Thomas Wolfe was right:

YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN!

And if you want to, you should probably have your head examined.

Real life may not be all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows outside the Way Corps, folks, but it does have one advantage: It's REAL!

WG

Oh gee whiz, Twinky, I'm sorry, too - I forgot you only wanted to hear from Way Corps!

My bad. I'll go crawl back into the mud from whence non-WC came.

WG :wink2:

:offtopic:

Obviously the policy of "no using the internet" has long since gone by the board.
I was in until 2001 and I don't recall "don't use the internet" as a policy per se. It was mentioned in connection with trolling the internet looking for information about the A\\en lawsuit however. We were told to report any media mentions of the suit, but not to go looking for information online.

Martindale also derided the concept of "surfing", saying that people should do what they needed to do, get what they needed to get and not drift along.

Bolshevik - high speed internet in every room :blink: - wow, we are moving on now! Presumably that means there are no lawsuits pending.

WG - it's not an elitist thing as you are implying; it's just that only WC can register on the WC site. And all I wanted to know is if people had been approached via that site by innie Corps to rejoin - an approach made through rekindled contacts. Obviously that offer can't be made via the WC site to non-WC as there are no non-WC on the site.

It's not to say that non-WC won't be approached and invited to return: but it won't be via that particular website.

Some of the WC on the site do say openly that they are still with TWI.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh, Twinky. From the get-go (1973) it was strongly impressed upon me that anyone in a program, starting with the Medical WOWs and working up to the WC, were superior in all ways to my little self and must be deferred to. Special meetings at HQ after the Sunday night service, with me waiting outside in the cold, being reproved by Johnny T for stepping on the grass, waiting for the Medical WOW's to finish their elite meeting with someone at HQ so's we could go back to Indy in the middle of the night, being told over and over how spiritually in-depth was the knowledge, wisdom and understanding of these wonderful men and women of God, and I just sort of dumped it on you.

I do apologize personally to you and to anyone else at GSC who was WC and a nice person. I feel like the website carries on that attitude of superiority, though, so I just try not to think about it.

WG

Somewhat :offtopic: but perhaps a bit of explanation is warranted here:

This regarding Fellow Laborers of Ohio: in the early 1970's E**l Bu**on, who coordinated the Limb of Ohio, spearheaded the development of this program. It was basically a two year program for those who wanted additional training, but for one reason or another didn't or couldn't go into the WC. Many did afterward in fact become WC. We worked full time jobs, in addition to duties and training at the limb HQ which was a house and meeting building which had once been a barn, and then a dance barn. The only time we had to ourselves was Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings. Other than that, we had a "FellowLaborers Night" which was for teachings or tapes, we had work days/nights for cleaning, planning stuff like meetings and food (an organically based food program for two meals a day every day), working in a 1 1/2 acre organic garden, working at classes that were held in the dance barn, etc. The principles for FLO were identical to those of the WC, only with a full time job and less sleep.

I believe, though I'm not sure, it was thought at one time to develop several of these programs as a sort of in-state Way Corps, thus the similarities.

However, VPW soon realized that the REAL Way Corps was unique in its beauty and perfection, and could not be adequately imitated, let alone duplicated. At least that is what I was told (more salt in the wounds).

So I think about 1978-79 the programs were discontinued and those of us who slaved away for two, or in Waysider's case, three years went unrecognized and unappreciated into that dark night.

I hope this helps explain a little of my attitude if I seem touchy sometimes about it, Twinky.

WG

Oh, yeah, and we did get bytched at a lot, especially the second year, so we had that in common too! :wink2:

WG and Waysider, apologies accepted, just a slight and easily sorted misunderstanding :beer:

Had the WC been all that it had been "sold" as, things might have been very different, for all of us.

I saw it as an opportunity to learn to serve, in a Godly manner - not a place to be served up as mincemeat. Actually I wasn't in long after graduation - I liked helping people (gasp!) and I was (am?) far too intelligent a woman (gasp!) to fit into the mold they thought I should. I was banished with many cruel and humiliating remarks flung after me. It's when you see the heart and loving kindness of ministers from mainstream churches that you really realize how ... faulty ... the WC training was. I 'fess up as being there in the Martindale reign of terror.

Even so: I met up with some really great people there, still with a tremendous heart to love and serve God - in fact, most of them. But the legalism was doing its best to squash that out of them.

I am very sorry towards those on the field who were hurt by legalistic WC. You deserved better.

It is good to hear that approaches do not seem to have been made (yet?) via contacts from the WC site.

I think most WC were as much victims as anything, of the hype and false promises and lies that lured them into what they thought would be service for God.

WG

but then these victims bring in more victims. Who in turn bring in more victims. Extrapolate back and argue vpw was a victim persuaded by the logic of victims before him . . .

but then these victims bring in more victims. Who in turn bring in more victims. Extrapolate back and argue vpw was a victim persuaded by the logic of victims before him . . .

I'm going to start a new thread off this so this thread stays on track.