GreaseSpot Cafe

Wierwille and the wierwille farm

skyrider

This statement was made by chockfull on the Sueing the Slumdog Millionaires thread.

VPW on the other hand, when receiving the inheritance of his family farm donated all of it to TWI. At least the old lecher was all in to what he was doing. He could have kept so much for himself and his own family.

As I recall........vpw and harry bought out reuben's share of the farm inheritance and deeded it over to the way, inc. around 1959 or 1960. Wierwille was removed from his Van Wert, Ohio pastorate in 1957.

For the record.......the wierwille family farm was A MEASELY 147 ACRES. Back in 1959, I do not know what the price per acre was.......but let's say at $200 per acre that is only $29,400....(or $14,700 by vpw). The buildings would have added to the property value, but the wierwille house was in bad shape and needed a huge renovation....of which, harry forked over from his furniture business. More than likely, lots of free labor was utilized by wierwille's core of ohio followers.

Time and time again, some allude to the fact that vpw "gave his (huge) inheritance over" to start twi.......but when one stops to study the facts, vpw didn't *give* all that much. Noteworthy in this transaction, the non-profit status afforded vpw lots of advantages and write-offs and perks. I seriously doubt whether any of the three boys, vpw, harry or reuben, were cut out to farm their dad's property.....and deeding it over to the way, inc. was AN ADVANTAGEOUS MOVE.

To put in perspective the size of this farm........a section of land is one mile by one mile, or 640 acres. A quarter of a section of land is 160 acres......so the wierwille farmstead was NOT EVEN THAT. I grew up in midwest USA and plenty of farmers had two or three sections of land.....say, 1500 acres.....which was 10 times larger than the wierwille farm. Heck, a few farmers had 12 to 15 sections of land..!!!

IMO, we were led to believe that "wierwille gave so much to start twi".....and, in our youth.....we never stopped to really analyze the truth of the matter. What wierwille "gave away" on one hand.....he RECEIVED from the other.

As twi grew..........the property across wierwille road (the way woods area) was bought. Around 1980, the farmer to the north died and vpw rushed over to purchase the property where founders' hall was built. Also, twi purchased property on the west side of shelby county road (west woods)......and then, property where the auditorium and parking lot were built. Not sure about way farm III (1976 or so?) and mrs. inherited the kipp farm. Plus, the "stork farm" (??) on hwy 29 was acquired around 1983.

BUT.............the original 147 acres was what vpw and harry "gave" to the way, inc. Even howard allen and others came up weekend after weekend, to build the brc in 1962. Through the years, corps and volunteers worked FREE......manual labor, roa tent set-up, music talent, serve the burgers, clean the tables and toilets, etc. etc. etc. Then when other campus locations were acquired, corps worked FREE year round to plant trees, construction labor, landscaping, etc. etc. to keep these locations maintained.

On the backs of THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF WORKERS, twi was built.

<_<

Edited by skyrider

donated labor isn't tax deductible, unlike the tangible donation of land. I'd also be interested to know how many tangible donations (i.e. furniture, materials, etc.) got funneled through harry's business so it worked out as a personal write-off to him.

A relative of Mr. Garden's inherited a farm of similar size in the same area in the mid-1970's and sold it a few years later for $250,000 so I would say the value of the 147 acres the was the original Wierwille farm was more than that by then, considering all the development.

WG

Your point is well taken..........but the difference in land prices in 1959 as opposed to land prices in 1980 (?) would undoubtedly be a substantial difference.

I suppose there is a website somewhere to track ohio land prices....if one were so inclined.

Wish I could buy a new car today..........for a 1988 price.

:wink2:

shelby county tax records would give the value of the farm at the time of the transfer... or should, anyway. at any rate, they exchanged a small, decrepit farm in the middle of nowhere for tax write-offs and free labor to fix it up, then vpw lived there the rest of his life for free, + benefits.

shelby county tax records would give the value of the farm at the time of the transfer... or should, anyway. at any rate, they exchanged a small, decrepit farm in the middle of nowhere for tax write-offs and free labor to fix it up, then vpw lived there the rest of his life for free, + benefits.

Yeah.........tax write-off and free labor and decades of CHEAP labor. :biglaugh:

Looking back at all this......it's like, twi's "ministry" and "family farm" simply fronted the laundering of monies and lives as wierwille soaked up the perks of unaccountable living.

Wierwille's "family farm" played to his favor THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE........1) talking about the wierwille heritage, 2) the way woods and campfire area, 3) the brc (the spiritual epicenter.....hahaha) and 4) "home-coming" at the roa......all adding to youthful attachment to wierwille's ideals and deception. In so many ways, wierwille masterfully played "our heart-strings and associations" to elevate this "holy ground" as he had.

<_<

considering that young vicster didn't really want to work the land.. i.e.. continue in pa's stead, and run the farm.. wouldn't ownership of the land be not unlike an Albatross about the young victoid's neck?

what better "arrangement" than to deed it to a "corporation".. and still receive revenue.. without having to EVER produce yet one more day of honest labor..

of course, that's probably what you're trying to say..

:biglaugh:

The real estate prices of the 1950s were as has been said low.In Mi you could buy 40 acres house barn out buildings,for less than 8 thousand dollars.

So to vic,Having a product to sell,low overhead,no taxes for life!Set up a "christian church"where at best,was barley accepted,1950s remember?

The growth of the 60s and 70s must have been a dream come true,why he went from a man,to a guy who took the place of the absent christ.

Wealth?Why suddenly he can buy what he wants,motorhomes,motorcycles,ect....Some sacrifice,rip someones material,put your label on it,

donate the farm you did not want to work,wala.

I do not think he ever thought a wierwille would not have control,ego I guess,Once martin craig got control ,he thoght it was his,rosie convinced him other wise.

Rosie in charge,She is a prophetess,dont ya know?

Here are a few examples of 1959 living......

1959 Mansfield Ohio

4 bedrooms kitchen with built in stove and range large family room and outbuildings on 25 acres

$15,500

Cost of Living 1959

How Much things cost in 1959

Yearly Inflation Rate USA 1.01%

Yearly Inflation Rate UK 0.9%

Average Cost of new house $12,400.00

Average Yearly Wages $5,010.00

Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents

Average Cost of a new car $2,200.00

Movie Ticket $1.00

Loaf of Bread 20 cents

Kodak Movie camera $67.50