GreaseSpot Cafe

Going back after leaving "The Way"

Hi, Believersnonbeliever, I am new to this site and still trying to figure it out. So far I have seen very little edification here. As I see it, the Way, attempts to stick to God's Word and to its motto "the Word of God is the Will of God". Does anyone do that perfectly or even near perfectly? Of course not! But at least somebody is trying to speak God's Word to people and teach them what is available from God. Your girlfriend could be right! God want us to go to His Word. Not just talk about "people" and "the past". The Word of God has healed my heart. Talking about people has never healed me. There is great power to believers in this our day and time to believers who confess Romans 10:9 and then claim their power that is available in the name of Jesus Christ. Somebody has to teach it! Somebody has to hold it forth! I do not see "grease spot cafe" teaching people the power that is available to believers in this day and time and or how to utilize it in daily living. What you do is up to you. God has given each of us the ability to decide for ourselves.

Tag

Dear Tagalong,

I see by the latest "shouts" that you intend to leave this site.Personally it is no fun to see you go. I would rather get into some issues and try to work through them.

The doctrinal section is available to consider scriptures and doctrinal points anytime. And in the PM's that you invited me to do in the "new member" section I did bring up a couple of pretty straightforward scriptures as concerning the general matter of some of the topics at the Greasespot to you. And a couple of things regarding how not to put people down when quoting an important scripture. (Swine and pearls) And how I would feel if you did so again.

But I did not quote them and give the references either. So whether or not you know which scriptures I was refering to at least for you it is honest for me to say that I'm certain somebody has brought up relevant scriptural points to consider.

And since it is an open site you have the right to come to any conclusions at all and take your leave.

But it is one thing to talk about power. Just pick a television minister and you will likely get the same lecture.

But it is something else entirely to prove it as the scriptures record many doing. And I do not feel bad at all about doubting the talking about power, it is only talk after all.

But oftentimes the conversation here goes toward the topic of how wicked people can be while selling the concept of God's power to people. And based on the experiences that I have read here that topic of conversation is perfectly reasonable to me.

• Upvote 1

Hi, Believersnonbeliever, I am new to this site and still trying to figure it out. So far I have seen very little edification here. As I see it, the Way, attempts to stick to God's Word and to its motto "the Word of God is the Will of God". Does anyone do that perfectly or even near perfectly? Of course not! But at least somebody is trying to speak God's Word to people and teach them what is available from God. Your girlfriend could be right! God want us to go to His Word. Not just talk about "people" and "the past". The Word of God has healed my heart. Talking about people has never healed me. There is great power to believers in this our day and time to believers who confess Romans 10:9 and then claim their power that is available in the name of Jesus Christ. Somebody has to teach it! Somebody has to hold it forth! I do not see "grease spot cafe" teaching people the power that is available to believers in this day and time and or how to utilize it in daily living. What you do is up to you. God has given each of us the ability to decide for ourselves.

Tag

Hi tagalong,

Actually functionally the Way sticks to more of "the Word of the BOD is the Will of God" more than their professed motto. Romans states "let your love be without hypocrisy", where the Greek word represents the two masks actors would put on in Greek tragedies. If the Way's motto is "the Word of God is the Will of God" yet how they function is "the Word of Rosalie is the Will of God" then this is a perfect representation of how the Word and the Way differ. The Way functions no differently than VPW's old criticisms of the RC church - their priorities are 1) Pope ex-cathedra 2) traditions of elders, 3) Bible.

As far as you seeing little edification here, perhaps the function of the site is different than blowing sunshine up people's rear ends. In that, it might be similar to the book of Ezekiel or some of the OT readings. You know, in the Word of God? Read Ezekiel and tell me how edified you feel. And yet it is truth. Truth is what heals people's hearts, not ignoring sin latent within an organization. Not a Christian scientist like convincing the mind only to look on the positive side. Not a sweeping under the carpet of behavior so perverse you can scarcely speak of it. You could say Ezekiel "talked about people" too. Mostly about the leaders of Israel.

With respect to the power available in the name of Jesus Christ, and confessing Rom. 10:9,10, perhaps you and I live in different worlds. I see the Word being taught on TV, in churches, in Bible studies, in small groups, in communities all over where I live. And yet to see that I had to be delivered from the spirit of error wrapped up into the elitist doctrine of the Way International. Jesus was asked when he walked the earth "who is my neighbor?" Looking around me at the quality of the Christians I meet, and then considering the quality of what is really lived by those in TWI, I see no basis to look down my nose at any Christian, or to snidely comment "they haven't learned the Word we have". Yes, and they are blessed not to. The version of the Word learned in TWI can be summarized in the verse "knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth". The elitists in TWI are puffed up. So, tagalong, "Who is your neighbor?" If you judge them harshly, be ready to be judged by the same standards when Jesus Christ returns.

• 4 weeks later...

Did any of you have any experience while in TWI dating a non TWI member. As you know by reading this thread, prior to knowing about what TWI really is, I took the foundational class. I am a TWI Foundational Grad!!!!! Woo hoo! Anyway, since rejecting TWI, my GF has quit fellowshipping. I drew a fairly hard line with the subject, based upon what I wanted in my life, but she did take some time to make the decision on her own. Anyway, since then there have been several occasions that have come up, related to TWI, that have caused problems. One problem has been with her family. I think they are great people and though I have criticized TWI, I do think they are great people. I am being told that I hate them though, and that I hate her friends, and that I hate her background. I am also blamed for everything that comes up. For example, if we were meeting her parents for dinner and I couldn't go or had to be late, she would say that I was doing it on purpose and that they think I don't like them. It's a constant battle for approval from them and I don't feel like any of my efforts matter. I always have to be on my best behavior so they can see why she fell for a guy like me. It's the same with her friends. Recently there was a wedding that she was in with TWI folks and, although I originally wanted to go, I was told that I hate all of them and that I would have no fun.

It feels like she is putting words in my mouth and forming opinions for me to make it easier on her. It's easier for me to not want to go than telling me I can't or taking me and making it awkward, right? Doesn't feel right to me though.

Sorry for rambling, feel free to respond to any or all. God bless!

Edited by believersnonbeliever

Did any of you have any experience while in TWI dating a non TWI member. As you know by reading this thread, prior to knowing about what TWI really is, I took the foundational class. I am a TWI Foundational Grad!!!!! Woo hoo! Anyway, since rejecting TWI, my GF has quit fellowshipping. I drew a fairly hard line with the subject, based upon what I wanted in my life, but she did take some time to make the decision on her own. Anyway, since then there have been several occasions that have come up, related to TWI, that have caused problems. One problem has been with her family. I think they are great people and though I have criticized TWI, I do think they are great people. I am being told that I hate them though, and that I hate her friends, and that I hate her background. I am also blamed for everything that comes up. For example, if we were meeting her parents for dinner and I couldn't go or had to be late, she would say that I was doing it on purpose and that they think I don't like them. It's a constant battle for approval from them and I don't feel like any of my efforts matter. I always have to be on my best behavior so they can see why she fell for a guy like me. It's the same with her friends. Recently there was a wedding that she was in with TWI folks and, although I originally wanted to go, I was told that I hate all of them and that I would have no fun.

It feels like she is putting words in my mouth and forming opinions for me to make it easier on her. It's easier for me to not want to go than telling me I can't or taking me and making it awkward, right? Doesn't feel right to me though.

Sorry for rambling, feel free to respond to any or all. God bless!

She sounds internally conflicted. I wouldn't take it personally.

Yes, that's normal behavior, for wayfers.

I once dated a girl who went on Waydale (the precursor to Greasespot). It wasn't pretty.

Wayfers expect perfection. Their priorities are themselves first, second and third. Anything else, last. Your GF hasn't realized how deep "fellowshipping" actually is. Or, she's just beginning to realize how much she needs to sacrifice in order to truly leave.

• Upvote 2

I am being told that I hate them though, and that I hate her friends, and that I hate her background. ... Recently there was a wedding that she was in with TWI folks and, although I originally wanted to go, I was told that I hate all of them and that I would have no fun.

This is a common defensive tactic. When someone brings up a rational criticism of TWI, such as they all act elitist and support elitist doctrine, because they are themselves blindly involved their brain will not allow that logical criticism to remain. So in describing it, it's easier for their little self-justification to say "so-and-so hates the ministry and hates ministry people". Then they repeat it amongst themselves to the point that they all believe that. It doesn't really matter what reality is, they just define their own reality.

It would be way too embarassing to say "so-and-so thinks the ministry's teaching of 'household' is elitist and egotistical in relationship to other Christians so chooses not to be involved with the ministry". You see that would establish the validity of any rational argument and decision. So they make up an irrational argument, state it as true, and act like it is true.

The reality is most all of us here don't hate TWI or hate TWI members. But they will never accept that regardless of the truth of the statement.

Manipulation---The wayfer mindset needs it to survive.

She may have distanced herself from them physically, but, mentally, she is still a "Way believer".

Yeah true - those mindsets run deep. She has chosen not to go to fellowship though. Part of this is all growing up and learning to survive on her own without her parents and their opinions mattering that much.

• Upvote 1

YOU SAID:

It's a constant battle for approval from them and I don't feel like any of my efforts matter. I always have to be on my best behavior so they can see why she fell for a guy like me. It's the same with her friends.

I have to second what Tzaia said!

What can be so wonderful and remarkable about this girl that makes you put up with being treated like this?

This isn't the first incident. This isn't a mis-understanding.

This is an active campaign by this girl's friends and family to drive a wedge between the two of you and SHE is LETTING THEM do it.

Sorry, but if this is how she is behaving now, it ain't gonna get any better!

• Upvote 1