GreaseSpot Cafe

does god talk to you?

excathedra

"Sometimes something you want "just happens" for you.

Sometimes you read just the thing you need to read, or hear just the thing you need to hear.

Sometimes doors open where they seemed to be shut; opportunities arise where there seemed to be none.

Sometimes it's walking out with a thankful heart and suddenly a patch of sunshine falls right on you.

Sometimes it's the very thing you need to meet a need.

Sometimes a hug, or a kind word, from a friend.

Sometimes it's a "just knowing" something.

Why limit God to words? Words are only a way of expressing thoughts or heart-desires anyway.

I don't have a problem with God communicating with me or any other believer."

Nice sharing. Thank you Twinky. I mean that sincerely.

Edited by tagalong

Excie, good topic. Twinky, that was a nice description when you said "a knowing."

The still, small voice of God, which is suddenly there, where it wasn't before; which doesn't overbear, doesn't force, and is always right.

Sometimes, I just quietly know something that I didn't know the moment before. Over the years, I've learned to (usually? I wish!) recognize it for what it is, and have also learned that I need to pay attention to it.

My Dad could listen to it, and it saved his life several times during WWII. My Mom could, too. My sister also, and she once told me that she thought my attention was too taken up by "little things" to be able to listen clearly. Funny how someone who never "took the class" hit it right on the nose.

love, niKa

Yes, but what does God say?

And why?

And how can you tell?

~just wondering~

that is a good question.

He says to me I love you .

How can I tell? I never would have made it to middle age without thinking He must. didnt say I was right just what I think. In fact might be wrong but then it leaves me to think I must be the only one who loves me and it just doesnt work for me.

This maybe just a "quirk of the day" kind of thought for me.....

But I am wondering how many people might actually hear from God someday something like....."I did not tell you THAT!"

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap: Good one, Jeff! Good one.

You're right too, as I have NEVER heard about someone 'hearing' God telling them what he did NOT say to them, things that they attribute to God anyway. :asdf:

Edited by GarthP2000

"This maybe just a "quirk of the day" kind of thought for me.....

But I am wondering how many people might actually hear from God someday something like....."I did not tell you THAT!"

I couldn't find the OP for this, at least not on this page to respond. But Yes, I have heard God tell me something like that. I've also heard via manifestations one that opened up with "When are you going to stop playing around and actually do what I told you." I've had a lot of times recently when what God told me was more along these lines. He's always told me he loves me as well, but I often get reproof as much as I get anything else.

For me it is a valid and vital question.

Whether the experience is from my childhood or TWI; or whether it pertains to someone who presumes to speak for God or from me looking around at nature and perceiving truth, the question of "is that really God or not" seems a reasonable and sane question to ask.

And because of the very personal nature of these things I am not quick to discuss them with anyone. But I must confess that it would be nice to be able to discuss them all with somebody. Heck, my former splinter group used the things that I only told my wife against me!

(edited for grammar & spelling and a little added too.)

Edited by JeffSjo

This is something I struggle with because where I come from hearing audible voices in your head signals some sort of mental disorder along the lines of schizophrenia. So I've felt a measure of discomfort when trying to hear god, much less having a conversation.

When I am around people who believe they are hearing from god or talking with god, I understood why they are doing it, but I have to question whether it is actually happening, or whether they just want it to be happening. The reason for that is because god is usually backing up what they already know, whether it be an "attaboy" or a strong rebuke. Rarely have I seen god intervene in such a way that someone experiences a strong paradigm shift, which you would think would happen on a regular basis, given that he is god.

Even as I see the hand of god around me, I have never felt a personal involvement in my life. As much as I have desired it and tried to have it, I've just never felt an actual interaction. What I have really steered away from since my involvement in TWI is allowing other's god-talking "experience" to influence me. It keeps me free from the "should" and "ought" aspect, because according to the god-listeners, I should be feeling pretty empty but I don't. I ought to be leaning to god for "wise counsel" and "protection" when I haven't experienced either one when I tried, especially when I was hearing something totally different from what others were apparently hearing, and therefore accused of having a devil spirit.

Why should I "listen" to god when he's (supposedly) given me enough sense to know if I can handle an additional commitment, or what I like to do, or what I need to be doing? What can he tell me that I am unable to perceive on my own? I am free to make choices and live with them because I know that I am responsible for those choices, and not simply thinking that god knows I can handle it when I'm seriously questioning whether I can.

• Upvote 1

If you heard something different from God than those around you, you were likely the person really hearing from God. God's voice is not always audible. Most of the time it is just a gentle leading and peace about one decision over another. My personal experience has often been that when I hear a voice I'm about to be reproved or I'm doing about to do something really, really dumb. The best way I've describe the still small voice is that it sort of seems like my own thinking but it seems to come from a slightly different direction than my own thinking.

i think he talks to me all the time

not because i speak in tongues or anything, but i get thoughts and i really think they are from my loving god or jesus christ

plus i talk to him/them all the time

i feel really good about this and comforted, etc.

i guess you could call it instinct or a mental disorder lol

but i have to say, in my life, god is a great comfort and help to my soul

and i've actually helped other people because of what i'm talking about

but that's not my goal :)

okay, let's hand the mic over to geo. mwah

I called 1 800 sit much but all I got was some angry guy telling me it was a business and to never call again,lol. But on a more serious note I still speak in tongues and am endeavoring everyday to apply Phil 2:13 in my life. I should dah listened when He told me to stay da hell away from this site.lol Did you know God speaks with a NY City/Brooklyn/Bronz accent? Well maybe that's just to Obama Supporters,no that's Chicago. Dang!! Can you see why I needed the Word??? Estoy muy loco hoy. I can translate that last sentence for you if you need me too. (no it's not tongues it is a known part of Spanish to me)

Excath, you're not crazy. Many Christians down through the ages are the same way, your back and forth with the holy spirit in you is a common occurence, the medieval christians used to call it being in "bliss."

Its a thought, an idea, something strikes your fancy and you muse on it, maybe a topic and you look it up and read what others have written before you and you hold fast the good.

Excath, you know, and I know, he's there, he's real...

Don't let anyone disparage you.

Edited by Sunesis

I called 1 800 sit much but all I got was some angry guy telling me it was a business and to never call again,lol. But on a more serious note I still speak in tongues and am endeavoring everyday to apply Phil 2:13 in my life. I should dah listened when He told me to stay da hell away from this site.lol Did you know God speaks with a NY City/Brooklyn/Bronz accent? Well maybe that's just to Obama Supporters,no that's Chicago. Dang!! Can you see why I needed the Word??? Estoy muy loco hoy. I can translate that last sentence for you if you need me too. (no it's not tongues it is a known part of Spanish to me)

Ex just to be clear, I was saying that I am the one who is crazy not you. Estoy means I am. You would be Su or something like that. Your post is a good one I was just trying to provide some humor. Philippians 2:13 always has encouraged me in this area. Your post is very good. sorry if I cause any confusion or misunderstanding.

tag, you didn't say anything to bother me at all, neither did anyone here

dooj you're wonderful, and another poster i have to go back and look because you said you were sad (i'm sorry)

see sunesis's post for the best answer i feel i can say at the moment

thanks all

ps. it's a faith i've always had -- a relationship -- maybe i do MOST the talking, BUT i always feel i'm being listened to :)

plus so many things in my life where oh i have to think about it to tell you

I don't hear from Him. I wish I did. I've asked many times. I believe I've seen several fast, obvious, and direct answers to prayer, but never a good talk. I find that sad. (emphasis mine)

((snort)) Me too! <_<

Edited by GarthP2000

Yes..he does. Not audibly, no...But I have learned to recognize it never the less. The times that come to mind are when I was in turmoil...really upset and I would be thinking my thoughts of misery...and a crystal clear thought would break through. It would be so calm and peaceful, so powerful and in complete total opposition to what I had previously been thinking.

Sounds like schizophrenia, I know, it is even kind of embarrassing to admit it...(nobody wants to be nuts) but that is how he seems to work for me. There were so many times that it would be followed up by things that would absolutely confirm to me where it came from.

Excathedra, I think that is cool.

There is only one way, and I repeat only one way, that god talks to you. Any other doctrine posted is a counterfeit, a lie of the devil himself, a manifestation of Dr Cyclops twisted thinking still emblazoned on some poor sapsucker's engrams.

First you unplug everything. Turn them off and unplug them. Every computer, every appliance, every stupid automatic bird and cat feeder.

Soon it will be so quiet you can hear the high-pitched empty room hum.

And then the whispers begin...