• left college after two years
    • left college or before two years, or left trade school
    • Never went to college
    • Graduated more than once
    • Graduated, Associates Degree
    • Completed a valid apprenticeship
  2. 2. Conditions I left under

• I was kicked out for a good reason
    • I was kicked out, but honest.. I was just holding it for a friend..
    • I left, voluntarily.
    • I'm still in
    • Graduated.
  3. 3. I would rate the effect of the program:

• It was professional suicide
    • It was financial suicide
    • It included the loss of relationships
    • I gained professional employment with what I learned
    • I made a "kazillion" bucks
    • It st me back in above terms, irreperably
    • Set me back in above terms, a few years..
    • It didn't make one bit of difference
    • Its the greatest..
    • Never took classes or training beyond high school
  4. 4. My personal feelings about the program:

• I'm proud of the accomplishment, and would be happy to tell perfect strangers
    • Indifferent don't attach any importance to it..
    • If someone asks, I'm comfortable to discuss it
    • If someone asks, I change the subject. Too painful..
    • If someone ask, I generally curse and spit at the mention of my school..
    • Never took clases beyond high school
  5. 5. Recommendations

• I graduated or am in. I Highly recommend it
    • Graduated, or am in. Neutral.
    • Graduated or am in. Gently advise against it
    • Graduated or am in. Froth and spit if asked
    • Never in. From what I've seen it do , highly recommend
    • Never in. From what I've seen it do, neutral
    • Never in. From what I've seen it do, gently recommend against
    • Never in. From what I've seen, do the frothing and spitting thing if asked..

Note: this applies to ACCREDITED college work only. Other words, no degree mills.. VALID or RECOGNIZED technical or trade schools apply also, though they might lack accredidation- something like ITT, Devries or others, who actually have a GOOD reputation with employers. Skill centers may apply here.. especially ones who offer classes on behalf of certain employers.

Corps program does NOT apply.. else we might get the same results as the previous poll..

:biglaugh:

This is the same format as the last poll. You may vote more than one answer.

Edited by Ham
  • Upvote 1

Note: this applies to ACCREDITED college work only. Other words, no degree mills.. VALID or RECOGNIZED technical or trade schools apply also, though they might lack accredidation- something like ITT, Devries or others, who actually have a GOOD reputation with employers. Skill centers may apply here.. especially ones who offer classes on behalf of certain employers.

Corps program does NOT apply.. else we might get the same results as the previous poll..

:biglaugh:

This is the same format as the last poll. You may vote more than one answer.

This is a good poll IMO.

However, question #1 leaves no room for those who attended or graduated from Associate Degree programs.

I have an A.A.S. in one field and was 10 hours short of a second when I "dropped out".

I never went to college or had any higher education. (Y'all may be able to tell by my posts-- :unsure: ).

I served an apprenticeship in my trade under one man for several years which to me was worth at least as much. It has served me very well.

Odd thing, at the time I thought I was supposed to be in the corps :rolleyes::biglaugh:

Im really glad now that they wouldnt have me

Apprenticeships would count as well. Kinda like trade schools.. still recognized and all. Plumbers, electricians.. etc..

stained glass artists, etc. I think most apprenticeships rank with the quality of trade school, or even better..

Waysider, you can change your vote if you wish. Hit the little delete my vote button, and it will let you vote again. I'll also add an apprenticeship option

• Upvote 1

whoever had a bad time of it.. I'm sorry.. I know it can happen. Taking out student loans and such can be a pretty big gamble. If one does not finish, well.. you still owe.

Going the loan route, at a good (or rather expensive) school can put one in debt well over $100,000.00 or so..

but over-all, it looks like people generally had a good experience .

And I suppose everything is a gamble as it is. I know one fellow classmate who graduated with a degree in computational math, and passed a pair of actuarial exams. There are NO job opportunities for him, at least in this state, along the lines of actuarial work, anyway.. Myself, I tell this university I'm interested in being a math educator, and they roll out the red carpet.. Between what I get paid in the stipend, and if I work for them in the summer, I make at least what I did in my previous job..

• Upvote 1

and with returning veterans, likely finding the job market deplorable, seeking higher education.. and the current administrations emphasis on education.. when I have acquired the master's in math in roughly two or two and a half years, I will be more than EMPLOYABLE. A masters degree, real life experience managing and teaching classes for two years.. one possible class in the program involves some kind of guided internship of sorts, advising industry in some kind of professional manner.

of course conditions could change..

and I don't know if I have the stamina for the doctorate, yet..

• Upvote 1

I checked the first two options in the recommendations. I am highly in favor of further education be it college, auto mechanic school, etc. But I know of people who have been quite successful and they had no formal training. One runs a marina on Long Island and another runs a huge aquarium store and distributorship of fish and equipment.

• Upvote 1

I know at least one business owner, very successful. Barely made it through high school.

And I am highly in favor of people doing what they would just love to do.

But I say.. especially with a highly profitable venture, maybe a LITTLE education would enhance one's pleasure in life.. maybe take a class in accounting. Maybe a few more in subjects relevant to one's pursuits. A little knowledge just might give one the tools to find out if they are being financially manipulated or something..

happened to Billy Joel.. all he wanted to do was the music.. lost practically everything..

• Upvote 1

Ham, I clicked on graduated Assoc. Degree, because my option, just getting started, wasn't on the list. This coming week will be my FIRST finals for my Intro to Business internet course through my local community college. I love it. My grade is over 100% right now due to a couple extra assignments I completed. I meet with my adviser next month to enroll in my next class(es). I LOVE IT!!!!

Hi Hammie... I have been thinking about this thread a lot.

Any way I was going to Business college when TWI came along I was studying toward an accounting degree. I was halfway thru the program..

Now no one in TWI twisted my arm but... I, like an idiot decided to go WOW and figured I could go back and finish up later. Well life got in the way and now here I am about to turn 50 and back in school.

The question I keep wondering in my head is why did TWI enncourage so many of us to quit school and go WOW or into the corps. Really if they had any sense at all they would encourage you to stay in school more earnings equals more money eventually to them... but more and more I realize at least for VP and the BOT's it was all about a quick buck. I don't think he ever in his wildest dreams expected it to go as long as it did or grow as big as it did.

And I was an idiot. They never once encouraged us to continue with our education so we could support ourselves and our family it was a sudo you should do the corps training. or go WOW you can go back later.

Really now that I think about it it makes me a angry at myself for being young and foolish and not stopping long enough to think it all thru.

• Upvote 1

but more and more I realize at least for VP and the BOT's it was all about a quick buck. I don't think he ever in his wildest dreams expected it to go as long as it did or grow as big as it did.

I'll second that!

edit: And I think this is why he acted like Fellow Laborers was nonexistent. He realized rather quickly that Burt*n's franchise operation was diverting revenue from the company store.---sorry, that might be too far off topic.

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ham, yes, I am going for an associate in business administration for now. I just completed my first course, Intro to Business, and finished with a 99.32% overall. I am ecstatic, to say the least!!!! I see my adviser on Aug 5 to sign up for my next classes, which I hope to be Principles of Marketing and English 101.

Leafy, I am turning 53 on Monday. It is never too late!!! Go for it!!!

Ham, yes, I am going for an associate in business administration for now. I just completed my first course, Intro to Business, and finished with a 99.32% overall. I am ecstatic, to say the least!!!! I see my adviser on Aug 5 to sign up for my next classes, which I hope to be Principles of Marketing and English 101.

Leafy, I am turning 53 on Monday. It is never too late!!! Go for it!!!

Excellent Act2, it does feel good doesn't it? :dance:

Happy Birthday Monday ! :wave:

Thanks, Waysider and Shellon. Yes, it does feel good. The final exam (online) only took me 21 minutes to complete. 100 questions and I had a 2-hour window to complete it. I made 194 out of 200 points for the final!!! I called most of my family and my friends that evening to tell them the good news. My online class had a running total for my test scores, so I immediately knew my finals grade and my overall grade.

Having owned businesses with my husband for many years helped tremendously with this class, I must admit!!!

• Upvote 1

Congratulations Act2. Have you completed any other basick kind of courses like english 111/112? A word of warning.. if you want to go on to a bachellor's program, I'd make sure the credits will transfer..