GreaseSpot Cafe

Only "Believe"

waysider

I was in the Corps and I developed some symptoms that were of concern. I let it go for three years, even made jokes about it. One day I said something to my Branch Leader and asked him to pray for it. He was very emphatic that I should get it checked and when I did, it turned out that I was in stage 2 of a cancerous condition. At the time the common thinking was that cancer was a devil spirit. I sank very deeply into shame and self-condemnation. In all fairness I will say that the BOT helped me a little with some bills. Also, I am the one responsible for the actions I took. However, the fear of having to face the fact that I was "Corps" (as if that meant anything) and couldn't believe my way out of my situation led to my hesitation in seeking medical attention. Secondly, I hesitated seeking medical attention because I didn't have any health insurance and that definitely was because I was gallavanting around the country "moving the Word", washing windows, and working at McDonald's, even though I was a college graduate in my late 20's. I finally landed a job with health benefits and that's when I finally got enough courage to seek help. The doctor said if I had let things go another year my condition would have been irreversible. By the way, I am clean.

So, the Law of Beleving as taught in the Way about killed me. At least as far as the "believing action" crap that came down. Again, in all fairness, TWI leadership was kind and encouraging once it was diagnosed I had the condition. Even still, it was the doctrine that in large part caused damage.

It's been a blessing to read this thread and see some of the miracles God did for some of you guys.

Edited by erkjohn
  • Upvote 2

Along the same lines as people almost dying because they didn't seek medical attention. . . I had something rupture internally . . . usually that HURTS, but mine didn't. . .it is rare, but does happen. . . I knew something was very wrong. . . but, kept believing for it to just be healed. It went on for a couple of weeks and didn't go away. . . . . finally, hubby made me go to the doctor. . . the Doc was not sure what was going on. . . thought it was a miscarriage. . . and sent me home and told me to come for tests the next day.

Here is the miraculous part. . . my file ended up on the desk of the head of Obstetrics at a huge teaching Hospital where we lived. . . a fluke. . . . he had nothing to do with me or even my Doctor. He called me at home and told me he wanted me to come to the ER right away. I hemmed and argued and asked if it was okay to come in the morning. . . he was so very insistent I went to the ER.

When I got there I was rushed into emergency surgery. . . a few hours more and I would have died. . . it had ruptured nearly a month before. . . I was pretty much bleeding to death.

The timing was perfect . . . not early. . . but not too late. . . how it all unfolded was God's mercy on my silly and stupid soul. I just thought I could believe it away. . . .

I still remember that Doctor's name. . . He saved my life. . . Dr. Holliday.

• Upvote 1

yeah Frank.. and what a blessing he is..

same with my two kids..

one of them was inflicted with a dreadful disease.. but I still think her recovery was not less than miraculous.

and it wasn't on a *way* schedule either..

it took a whole community of "believers" (not Way) for the miracle to occur..

Crazy stuff!

That's what I'm looking for.

Like the time I worked for a company that knowingly required me to handle known carcinogens and I didn't blow the whistle because I could use believing to keep them from hurting me. Cancer is just a devil spirit, anyhow, so renewed mind believing and SIT will keep the trap door shut.---GRRRRRRR!!

• Upvote 1

If you want crazy.. yep. Had I still been associated or affiliated with herr vey.. I doubt seriously my child would have survived..

we would have isolated ourselves from the rest of the "devilish" community.. and refused their love, help and blessing.. and waited in vain for "help" from the "one true househole" of herr vey.. and it likely.. never would have materialized..

very likely.

we had bouts with treatments.. that this kid could not hold down any kind of hospital food. what does one do..

oh.. just "renew the mind".. that should do it..

hah..

the high school had a few activities to make a pizza fund.. sound weird?

This kid on chemo.. couldn't handle consuming a bagel from the hospital cafetieria.. but she could readily eat the most spiciest pizza you could dream of..as long as it was not hospital food..so what do I do, argue?

anybody through this kind of thing.. if one could find something the patient can hold down.. its almost a miracle..

I've posted all of this, by her permission, once..

Believing? The catch 22 of the way ministry...if it don't work, it's your fault. Wierwille got rich teaching this baloney! Let me see now...some "power" in my mind that causes "stuff" to happen...(twilight zone theme now comes in...) Yeah, I knew a guy who was blind (my cousin Dennis) and I heard Wierwille tell him that if he sat through pfal his sight would be restored...He sat through it 3 times...his sight never got better and he died shortly thereafter...Sorry, that's the best story I could come up with on short notice.

It wasn't Wierwille's keen spiritual awareness and ability to believe that enabled him to amass a stable full of high priced, vintage motorcycles and classic cars. It was his lack of remorse as he used guile and deceit to fleece the unsuspecting.

Lo Shanta LaMaka See Tay---- you move your tongue---you move your lips

• Upvote 1

Crazy stuff!

That's what I'm looking for.

Like the time I worked for a company that knowingly required me to handle known carcinogens and I didn't blow the whistle because I could use believing to keep them from hurting me. Cancer is just a devil spirit, anyhow, so renewed mind believing and SIT will keep the trap door shut.---GRRRRRRR!!

So...did everything turn out ok? If it's okay to ask, that is?

Edited by erkjohn
  • Upvote 1

Past the pre-PFAL believing for the guy to show up on the door step, I didn't practice believing. I didn't see much in the way of "signs and miracles," so I didn't put a lot of faith in it.

I saw a lot of people do stupid things to test their believing and counsel people to do stupid things.

• Upvote 1

I've seen people "believe" for the "required donation" for pfal. Checked the checking account balance.. "miraculously" there was about a hundred and fifty extra bucks..

cashed out the $100 for the class.. and inside of two weeks, the couple of straggling checks made it to the bank..

:biglaugh:

kinda like "walking out on a limb" with "believing".. and sawing the limb off..

Given all of the bizarre things we were expected to "believe" for perhaps this thread should be renamed "Only Bellevue"

I will not completely discard the value of staying positive in life's outlook. Even the medical community has now recognized a higher remission rate in cancer patients with a positive outlook - BUT HOLY SH(T - driving cross country in vehicles that were marginally legal running on fumes - throwing away crutches, eyeglasses (then driving), money, more money, MORE money (gotta get that ABS up ya know), multi-hundred year lifespans...

Geezuz that kool-aid had some good psychotropics in in.

I can't really post anything that I stupidly believed for in this thread - the damned thing never worked for me (that I can tell) early on so I simply mouthed the phrase and never bothered trying anything radical. Yep - that's right - I went 13 years in TWI and never believed in believing....

• Upvote 1

Past the pre-PFAL believing for the guy to show up on the door step, I didn't practice believing. I didn't see much in the way of "signs and miracles," so I didn't put a lot of faith in it.

I saw a lot of people do stupid things to test their believing and counsel people to do stupid things.

You mean, like, say, for example, sending very young, naive girls hitch-hiking across the country, riding with God knows who and telling them that, "if they got raped it was their fault"? Yeah, put a bunch of kids in grave danger and call it "training". God knows we couldn't have had a bus take people to LEAD. Ya think this fed Wierwille's fantasy life?

You mean, like, say, for example, sending very young, naive girls hitch-hiking across the country, riding with God knows who and telling them that, "if they got raped it was their fault"? Yeah, put a bunch of kids in grave danger and call it "training". God knows we couldn't have had a bus take people to LEAD. Ya think this fed Wierwille's fantasy life?

I see your point but I don't think it was because of "believing".

I think it was a simple matter of VP not giving a rat's azz!

As long as he got whatever he wanted, he didn't care what happened to the WOW's or Corpse or staff, etc.

edit:

"Believing" (or lack thereof) was a handy excuse that Wierwille used to shift the blame of his heinous acts from himself to his victims. Personally, I think he knew full well that the believing stuff was a load of cr@p.

Edited by waysider

I've seen people "believe" for the "required donation" for pfal. Checked the checking account balance.. "miraculously" there was about a hundred and fifty extra bucks..

cashed out the $100 for the class.. and inside of two weeks, the couple of straggling checks made it to the bank..

:biglaugh:

. . . . .

Okay, that is the funniest thing. . . because it is so true. . .a gen-u-ine miracle. . .

Could be...Vic was a lowlife pervert who molested his own daughters...no tellin' if he got off on the danger of young girls hitch hiking...my guess would be yes he did. He was a sicko.

• Upvote 2

And that, I surmise, is the latent danger of this seemingly harmless yet insidious and destructive "law".

There has been something along the lines of a "law" of believing around for quite a while. Unfortunately, TWI in its need to reinvent everything, totally screwed it up. Rather than propagate abundance and trust that God wants us to have blessings and abundance, TWI's take on "believing" created a sense of scarcity and fear that God's protection was conditional. It was OK and practically required to step out on "believing" by spending money that one didn't have on behalf of TWI (buying tapes, books, classes, and abundant sharing), but cause for admonishment for people to step out on their own behalf by doing things such as purchasing a home or buying a car with the belief that God would provide what one needed to pay the bills.

What I saw as "crazy" was how TWI wanted to work against common sense, like the idea that one could chain smoke and "believe" for perfect health. Or that one could drink excessively, and not suffer ANY consequences. Those behaviors are not consistent with any of the affirmative belief systems that I am familiar with. I walked away from the TWI model, just like most of you have, because it obviously wasn't working.

• Upvote 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyljNfQUu5A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyljNfQUu5A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyljNfQUu5A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Upvote 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuwAh3LFvM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuwAh3LFvM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuwAh3LFvM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Upvote 1

I see your point but I don't think it was because of "believing".

I think it was a simple matter of VP not giving a rat's azz!

As long as he got whatever he wanted, he didn't care what happened to the WOW's or Corpse or staff, etc.

edit:

"Believing" (or lack thereof) was a handy excuse that Wierwille used to shift the blame of his heinous acts from himself to his victims. Personally, I think he knew full well that the believing stuff was a load of cr@p.

vpw considered other people as either "things to be used" or "expendable".

He was well aware program members were getting raped and whatever. He addressed it- on tape- to the corps.

When talking about hitchhiking to LEAD, he brought up concerns women would be raped. His reply?

They could be raped anywhere. (Therefore, he was not going to lift a finger to make it less likely.)

If it cost money- and meant less money he would be able to dip into whenever he wanted-

he flat out vetoed it. Even if it would have been a sensible expense.