GreaseSpot Cafe

Chose TWI over Spouse

crystalclearblue

The post about Oakspears 8 year anniversary got me thinking. Does anyone know of any situations where someone chose TWI over their spouse and are now alone and regretful? I know of someone who let others decide about the one she loved. She chose TWI and let him go. He married someone else and is very happy. She isn't, she regrets it deeply. I think this happened a lot. Any stories of this out there?

• Upvote 2

Well,I am the opposite,i left,Wife stayed,I listened to the likes of Hope Rich and even e-mailed Oakspear

(remember Oak?),Anyways Wife quit going to twi(I suspect they gave her a very hard time).

We are closer than ever,have spent alot of time together.

If a spouse is still in,sometimes you got to be patient.

One question I asked her early on was did you marry me,or twi?

Guess you now know the answer to that one.

• Upvote 1

Way back in the early 80's ... Summer of 82... a corps man and his wife left???(he was booted out for alcaholism supposedly.. I find it Ironic now that I know how much of an alki VP was) .. I have written about it before I think they may have been one of the first couples who were mark and avoided. Corps was told not to be in contact with them at all. That the hubby was entertaining devil spirits

anyway

the other thing that I was disturbed about was how people were trashing the wife because she left with her husband.... They all thought she should stay with TWI...

IT was the oddest thing I had ever heard.... I kept saying she loves him of course she will stay with him... they got married why wouldn't she stay with him... at that time I was a lone voice in the wilderness so to speak..

When my husband who was Corps decided he needed to leave he was afraid I would stay with TWI... Hunh... as if. I will say we were frightened when we left for a bit(we thought we might end up as greasspots) but I was and am glad I left with him. I did not marry the way though I did get married while in the way.

Anyway that was back in 82 I can imagine how much worse it was after Craig took over.

• Upvote 1

in Belgium, leadership tried to separate many husbands and women. They also tried to make some mariage between some believers would not happen, because the man was not as good believer as the girl. They told X and Y to be married in 3 months or they will be put in probation . . .

But No one chose TWI over spouse, even though the use of pressure or influence. Believers in Belgium are rebels a little.

I think the salt of convenant in mariage is the biggest burden TWI put on believers. It is unbiblical

• Upvote 1

Welcome, Alex, good to have you here. You are another European believer?

in Belgium, leadership tried to separate many husbands and women. They also tried to make some mariage between some believers would not happen, because the man was not as good believer as the girl. They told X and Y to be married in 3 months or they will be put in probation . . .

But No one chose TWI over spouse, even though the use of pressure or influence. Believers in Belgium are rebels a little.

I think the salt of covenant in marriage is the biggest burden TWI put on believers. It is unbiblical

Jeepers, marry this person or be put on probation? :blink: :wacko: Haven't heard that one before, at least not so blatantly.

I do remember LCM yelling one lunchtime and saying "I'm not gonna tell you who to marry!" but then again, at the same time they did engineer situations where one person was eased out of the marriage so that the other spouse would be able (they hoped) to marry someone they thought s/he would be better married to. You know, husband stands up to leadership (especially protecting wife), he gets eased / kicked out, they want to marry her to someone less protective so that she will be prey to those with less Godly intent.

I don't know about the salt covenant being unbiblical; most weddings were and are celebrated with a feast (both families eating together) and the food would be salted. Would indicate peace between the families.

I can see it would be a burden though in the TWI situation, where if you broke your salt covenant you were spitting in God's face. What a laugh, who caused most of the marriages to break down?

I am going now before I get too worked up.

Very interesting subject and it would be good to hear from spouses who stayed and (presumably) have since left. Spouseless.

• Upvote 2

We, especially my husband, had a hard time believing this was happening to us. Our HFC was an old friend of hubby's. But as time went on, we saw lots of couple leave, or some divorced with an innie spouse and a M&A ex, huge custody battles.

Our last coule of years in I was aware that I was a target. It finally became clear to hubbyafter the HFC got a little too bold, and it was a big factor in our leave taking.

After we left we had contact with others who ahd been in our fellowship but left--all couples, all with the same story of division.

By the time we left I had a plan to leave my husband--not divorce him, just get out of the area with the kids, and hope he would wise up, but it never came to that. Huh, being so evil and all I hadn't cut all ties to my family and former friends and had a place to go.

• Upvote 1

Well we married in '81, VP still very much in charge and I know husband was told by LC(who married us)that if he married me we had better plan on me going into the corps within the next couple of years... . I was considered I guess less than desirable as I was not a corps grad.... This after going WOW and living in two fully functioning way homes...running Children's fellowship in our town not to mention twigs, classes, organizing a Thanksgiving Limb Party. and helping with the household holiday Limb party. I was offended.. but I suppose I really did encourage hubby to make the final move away.I certainly didn't discourage it. So maybe if he had married Corps he would still be in today..

Even at that time things were starting to get overbearing.... to put it mildly.

I think at that time the marriage manipulation was really just getting started.

although I am certain that at the Corps level it was in full swing already. I doubt I was the only person being told I better plan on going into the Corps if I was marring a Corps person.

Edited by leafytwiglet
  • Upvote 1

Welcome, Alex, good to have you here. You are another European believer ?

Thank you.Yes I am.

TWINKY : i was talking about the salt convenant in the celebration of mariage, when man and woman took salt each other. I think this is unbiblical because when the mariage end, way believers are affraid to date someone because they will broke a salt convenant. This is not good : they don't have a convenant after the divorce. And There is no record in the Bible about the salt convenant in weeding ceremony after Actes 2:1 and no record in the New Testament.

• Upvote 1

After many years of faithful service and abundant sharing, TWI would not marry me to the woman I loved. That was the final straw and I never went to another TWI function or gave them another cent. We're still married and in love 25 years later.

• Upvote 1

Oh Hell NO. That is why I left(my husband and I)people trying to tell me who i can and should or should not marry.

It shattered the glass "snow globe of mind control" and I am glad of that. That was when I started to see HEY

there is something NOT right with The Way International.

• Upvote 1

Oh Hell NO. That is why I left(my husband and I)people trying to tell me who i can and should or should not marry.

It shattered the glass "snow globe of mind control" and I am glad of that. That was when I started to see HEY

there is something NOT right with The Way International.

Ok---Now picture yourself living in a commune with about 50 other people, half are men, half are women.

You can't marry an "unbeliever" and you can't date outside the commune. (There were exceptions made for people who married Corps.) And there was a "no sex" policy for singles. That's a pretty darn funky situation to find yourself in at 25 years old. :evildenk:

• Upvote 1

After many years of faithful service and abundant sharing, TWI would not marry me to the woman I loved. That was the final straw and I never went to another TWI function or gave them another cent. We're still married and in love 25 years later.

Yeah!!!! Glad to hear it! The best revenge is living well. :) (Not sure who said that or something similar)

JT

• Upvote 2

Thank you.Yes I am.

TWINKY : i was talking about the salt convenant in the celebration of mariage, when man and woman took salt each other. I think this is unbiblical because when the mariage end, way believers are affraid to date someone because they will broke a salt convenant. This is not good : they don't have a convenant after the divorce. And There is no record in the Bible about the salt convenant in weeding ceremony after Actes 2:1 and no record in the New Testament.

The salt covenant was a real big deal for me when I got divorced because I felt, at the time, like I had broken a promise to God.

• Upvote 1

I actually know of a couple of situations where one spouse left twi, forcing a divorce. But when the second spouse eventually left twi too, the couple ended up back together. (( So there!!))

In my case, I found out (in no uncertain terms) as my marriage was ending, that my spouse had definitely married twi, not me. Over and over again he showed that he would be faithful to their dictates no matter how it cut across our marriage vows. I think his perspective was that since our marriage vows had taken place within the context of our vows to twi, his vow to twi would naturally trump any other. I know he has regrets (for instance, he deeply regrets that I copped out and filed for a divorce instead of holding fast to the Word and sticking it out no matter what he said or did). Unfortunately, that he stayed with twi is not one of them.

• Upvote 1

I actually know of a couple of situations where one spouse left twi, forcing a divorce. But when the second spouse eventually left twi too, the couple ended up back together. (( So there!!))

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

• Upvote 2

Ok---Now picture yourself living in a commune with about 50 other people, half are men, half are women.

You can't marry an "unbeliever" and you can't date outside the commune. (There were exceptions made for people who married Corps.) And there was a "no sex" policy for singles. That's a pretty darn funky situation to find yourself in at 25 years old. :evildenk:

gee that sucks! I was a (military wow at the time)living with 3 Army guys but not the one I wanted to marry.

I understand I can go fight and die for my country but can't marry who I want when I want! Just DUMB!

• Upvote 1