GreaseSpot Cafe

Hey Brother, Can You Spare Me 195 Bucks???

It's been a while since I've been online here at GSC. Was in Indiana for the past two weeks helping take care of my Dad. For those of you who know about his condition (Shellon, Bowtwi, etc.), he's OK, but getting more and more frail by the day. Regardless - - - that's not what I want to talk about. My folks live about 10 miles (if even that) from Camp Vision which is run by the Stiffy group. I had some time off from doing "duties" as far as pertains Dad's healthcare while I was down there, and my favorite pastime when in southern Indiana is driving around and enjoying the scenery with my banjo/ fiddle/ mandolin/ etc., and stopping wherever i want to pick a tune or two. While out on the highways just the other day (Highway 37 north from Bloomington to Martinsville) I saw some Camp Vision signs out there on the highway with an arrow pointing the direction to the camp.

I thought - - - "What the ....????" I knew where the camp was/ is, but I figured something must be going on for them to put the signs out there for everyone to see. Curiosity got the better of me, so I headed off of the main road into the hills and the back road that leads to Camp Vision (yes - - - I've been there before, and knew the way to where it was "sans signs"). Seems like every mile (or less) there was a sign directing you to Camp Vision. When I got there, I noticed a gate (with a padlock on it) that wasn't there the last time I had been there for a "drive through". Gate was open, so I drove through, took a look, turned around, and left.

Back at Mom and Dad's house, I got on the computer and clicked into the STFI site, and found out that there was a "Men's Retreat" happening this weekend (with the topic being "Contending For the Faith") for a mere $195.00 per person fee. I can't give you a link for the "retreat" because it's been removed from the website, but I (for the life of me) can't imagine paying $195.00 to stay in (what I would call) primitive lodging to hear them talk about "Contending For The Faith" as interpreted by the STFI "luminaries" for a whole 3 day event.

Camp Vision is owned and paid for by STFI. They don't have to pay rent for the facilities when they run an "event" there. So what the hell is the 195 bucks for??? Beats me, unless it's the old twi mentality creeping out of the background where you get a lot for offering little. Well - - - all you guys missed out on this "Men's Retreat" this weekend of October 23rd through October 25th, but take heart, eh?? You can still register for the "Silent Retreat" that's going to happen on October 28th through November 1st.

For a mere 150 bucks, you can open your wallet/ attend/ and shut-the-hell-up. What a deal, eh? unsure.gif

Here's the link, should you be interested - - - - SILENT RETREAT

Edited by dmiller

Thanks for the info Dave--It may just break my heart( :mooner: ) but I'll have to pass this time.

Do they run these every week? Thats a pretty good cash cow they have going. i wonder how many people go to these things 20? 30? 50? 100?

Recycle a few teachings, throw em a few burgers and depending on how many people go they come out 4, 6, 10,or 20K ahead.. Not a bad take for a weekend, plus they get the whole weekend to promote all their other sh!t.

:biglaugh:

Im so tired of this stupid crap

most importantly----Good luck with your Dad Dave-he'll be in my prayers...and...Keep pickin'...and darn it--post some of your music one of these days

Edited by mstar1

It's been a while since I've been online here at GSC. Was in Indiana for the past two weeks helping take care of my Dad. For those of you who know about his condition (Shellon, Bowtwi, etc.), he's OK, but getting more and more frail by the day

Hi David, thanks for the update, we continue to pray for your dad around here.

Must be something new. Same old teachings, just now done (silently) in sign language (LOL).

Well, we all heard it all so many times that we could lip-read it anyway.

Camp Vision is owned and paid for by STFI. They don't have to pay rent for the facilities when they run an "event" there. So what the hell is the 195 bucks for??? Beats me, unless it's the old twi mentality creeping out of the background where you get a lot for offering little. Well - - - all you guys missed out on this "Men's Retreat" this weekend of October 23rd through October 25th, but take heart, eh?? You can still register for the "Silent Retreat" that's going to happen on October 28th through November 1st.

Seriously? So just because they're not renting the facility they have no expenses??? No upkeep, no food, no water, no electricity??? In fact, renting a facility is the CHEAP way to go!!! And do a quick Google search of Men's and Women's retreats - the ones I found ranged in price from $100 - 200+ for three days NOT INCLUDING room and board (usually a hotel but some were in cabin-style locations). Though the camp is a bit rustic, ALL of the cabins have apartment-style interiors and have electricity and bathrooms with showers <gasp!!!>, and <double gasp!!!> beds! And VERY good food (thanks to a fantastic chef who can squeeze every last penny out of a dollar - I should know: he catered my wedding!!!!).

dmiller - as I said earlier in another post, I don't blame you for being angry - I know that you feel blindsided by what's been going on over the past few years. But this is NOT TWI (or "der ministry" as you and others love to say): no one is getting rich off of that $195 registration fee, and they're certainly not "fleecing the flock." I know (from someone who has seen the numbers) that Camp Vision breaks even when all is said and done. I see nothing wrong in that.

Seriously? So just because they're not renting the facility they have no expenses??? No upkeep, no food, no water, no electricity??? In fact, renting a facility is the CHEAP way to go!!! And do a quick Google search of Men's and Women's retreats - the ones I found ranged in price from $100 - 200+ for three days NOT INCLUDING room and board (usually a hotel but some were in cabin-style locations). Though the camp is a bit rustic, ALL of the cabins have apartment-style interiors and have electricity and bathrooms with showers <gasp!!!>, and <double gasp!!!> beds! And VERY good food (thanks to a fantastic chef who can squeeze every last penny out of a dollar - I should know: he catered my wedding!!!!).

dmiller - as I said earlier in another post, I don't blame you for being angry - I know that you feel blindsided by what's been going on over the past few years. But this is NOT TWI (or "der ministry" as you and others love to say): no one is getting rich off of that $195 registration fee, and they're certainly not "fleecing the flock." I know (from someone who has seen the numbers) that Camp Vision breaks even when all is said and done. I see nothing wrong in that.

so.. they "break even"..

I dunno. was it "worth it"? I'd ask the participants.. what did you "learn" that was substantially different from what you knew before? Was it.. for 195.00.. you find yourself reaffirming the same old stuff taught long ago in twi?

Not that I'm expecting an answer.. but it would be nice.