GreaseSpot Cafe

What are you doing for the holiday?

George Aar

Yes, as we all know, Guy Fawkes Day is upon us again.

So, what are you all planning? The traditional hanging in effigy and bonfire? That's always my favorite.

Remember, remember,

The fifth of November,

Gunpowder, treason, and plot

I can think of no reason,

That gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot...

You're a fount of information, Geo. I had never heard of Guy Fawkes but Googled him after reading your post. That sounds like a neat little holiday. Looks like a good excuse just to have a party and festivities. So.. who's bringing the pig to roast?

sudo

For those who are just dying to know who Guy Fawkes was and why November 5th is celebrated is celebrated, I will save you the google. On November 5, 1605 Guy Fawkes was discovered attempting to carry out a plan masterminded by Robert Catesby to kill James I (for whom the KJV is named) his family and most of the nobility of England by blowing up the House of Lords during the ceremonial opening that year. Also known as the Gunpowder Plot, Fawkes and his co-conspirators were reacting against the Hampton Court Conference in 1604 when King James refused to grant tolerance to English Catholics. Fawkes and company rented a cellar under the House of Lords where they deposited 1,800 pounds of gunpowder.

Lord Monteagle, a Catholic, received an anonymous letter warning him to avoid the ceremonial meeting. At first Monteagle thought it to be a hoax but then decided to show the letter to King James. The king ordered a search of the cellars underneath Parliament which found the gunpowder and Fawkes himself leaving the premises. Fawkes was arrested and tortured but did not reveal any names of his co-conspirators until he was told that they had already had come forth voluntarily and acknowledged their participation in the plot. On January 31, Fawkes and his conspirators were tried, found guilty sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered. Fawkes was the last to climb the gallows and deciding to take his own life by jumping off the gallows and breaking his neck rather than giving the King the pleasure of hanging him.

Londoners upon hearing of the Plot were encouraged to celebrate the King's escape from the attempted assassination by lighting bonfires in the city. November 5th has been celebrated in such manner since.

damn Geo dont remind the teabaggers...their hangings might not be "in effigy"

No plans for me--Im taking a long ride through the back roads and hills today--maybe I'll fire off a few symbolic rounds in the middle of nowhere

Hey there Mstar. Are you going to fire those symbolic rounds from a banjo, or a rifle?? ;)

If you've got a banjo/ rifle like Sabata, you coud do both I guess, eh?

95_4a8b7d0ab38d6.jpg

biglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gif

I wouldn't be worrying yourself too much about teabaggers. Buncha folks wanting to have their opinions heard, yes.

Violence and burning in effigy or reality?? Nawwwww. I don't think so. Leastways not up here in Minney-soda,

and I tend to think the rest of the country is the same way. It's frustration with a dictatorship-type government that's supposed to be representative.

I doubt (highly) that there any "teabagger plans" to haul a bunch explosives into Washington D.C., or anything like that.

Hey - - - did you catch the skit SNL did a while back?? They're "getting it" too! beer.gif

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnMYZDsrJM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnMYZDsrJM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnMYZDsrJM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bonfire Night is not a holiday, never has been. Just bonfires and lots of fireworks. These days the fireworks tend to be more in public displays, not privately in people's back gardens. It is not known as Guy Fawkes Day or any such thing.

A rocket to the person who mentioned it was LCM's birthday. :-( Burning LCM's effigy might not be a bad thing but wouldn't want his memory perpetuated over the centuries.

A banjo-rifle!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REPHCXPwHCM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REPHCXPwHCM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REPHCXPwHCM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I love this country!

I want one---

I'd never need anything else

Edited by mstar1

Tonight, I went to my city's public firework display. Pretty good one, too, lasted 20 mins with a wide range of different types of fireworks. All the roads near the central area of the city were blocked by people standing around, and later, by the pedestrians walking away. Great crowd atmosphere.

On the way home, saw a few private fireworks being let off in people's gardens.

And that was that. 'S all that ever happens. Country areas might have a huge bonfire (and no doubt there will be some of those + fireworks over this coming weekend).

Just a bit of fun on a dark evening prior to the Christmas run-up getting under way.

article-0-07192A26000005DC-525_468x489.jpg

(Click the pic above for Guy Fawkes (bonfire night) in Great Britain)

Then there's my misreading Guy Fawkes as "Grey Fox":

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm glad the two events aren't held at the same time. If I had to choose between the two, I'd have to go for Grey Fox over Guy Fawkes. smile.gif