GreaseSpot Cafe

Witnessing and Undershepherding

Thomas Loy Bumgarner

I would never pressure anyone to accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. I hate bullies who do that, especially some street preachers who get nasty and almost physically assault you. Intimidation never works and the purpose backfires.

I used to hate the whole going out to witness. IT was difficult and felt contrived to me. In fact anyone I brought to TWi was a friend (this still makes my heart ache that I brought people to TWI)

any way the whole thing though I know some people love to do it, is just not my style.

I used to hate the whole going out to witness. IT was difficult and felt contrived to me. In fact anyone I brought to TWi was a friend (this still makes my heart ache that I brought people to TWI)

any way the whole thing though I know some people love to do it, is just not my style.

Amen to what you said. I haven't been to an offshoot for about 10 years now, but I still remember one woman who told me, shortly before I left, "Oh we should go out witnessing some time!" I couldn't believe it. I was way past that and there was no way in hell I was going to do that. I just told her flat out I didn't do that. She said, "oh but God will tell you who to go up to!" Yeah right. I just told her that wasn't the way God and me worked together.

I was afraid to go out with her anywhere cause sometimes she would open her mouth to anybody, a store clerk, and start with her "witnessing." Really putting people on the spot and embarrassing the hell out of me.

I go to a church group now, on Friday nights, it's a support group, and it draws people from all over the place for whatever your problem is. And EVERYbody has problems. Half of the people that come for the support groups do not attend the church. I have NEVER been pressured to come for a regular service, though if I did I know I would be warmly welcomed. That is what a real church is about. Christian outreach without the pressure.

Just for giggles, I looked up the local offshoot's website, to see what they were up to. Typical crap. "Upcoming Events" Class being held on this date. Class being held on this other date...and so on and so on.

Then I looked up this church that I go to with the support group. There website read something like. "Come join us for our support grup which meets Friday nights, just show up!" Be a neighbor program, do you know somebody or do you need food/clothing/supplies etc. We have a store room full of things that we would love to bless you with if you need them.

Softball team sign-ups, barbecues, etc. I mean, a real community.

The Wayfers and their offshots are sorely lacking in this area, which is why they will continue to stay stagnant in their growth.

Well, thanks for letting me ramble! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here ends the forum for the day. This is the word of the Lord. Thanks be to God. :biglaugh: sorry, a little liturgical joke.

Rottie, great post! I really appreciate it.

I don't really think it was all that fundamentally different than selling vacuum cleaners.

We were selling something (PFAL) that sucked.

Ok this one had me in stitches. Thanks for the laugh and so true.

I'm surprised there weren't more restraining orders issued against wayfers. I remember having to go mall witnessing in 2001-2002, right after I moved from HQ to San Diego. There was one poor girl who worked at the Sunglass Hut. She didn't want to be rude, and she said she would come to fellowship. Since I talked to her, I was prodded and pushed by my MOG worshipping Fellowship coordinator to keep at her. I had to show up at this girl's house to pick her up. They would tell me she wasn't there even though she told me earlier she would go. I told my FC if she really wanted to be there, she would be. The FC wouldn't give up until I finally told her to do it herself. That FC was the worst, and this was when TWI was supposed to be kinder and gentler....BAH! That FC and her tactics encouraged me to leave. Thanks Jill for giving me the courage to be true to myself !

Recently,I saw a way state newsletter,In the article the lc's wife says she can't doubt when

witnessing healing,Oh really,then it's my fault someone does not get healed?Put's all the blame on the speaker?

Why the hell would anyone speak then?Believing comes from hearing the word,the spoken word must be heard.

then believed by the one speaking,Too many magic formulas in the way,It is simple you speak what you believe.

At least now when I talk about the bible I have no ulterior motive =,I just speak.

The way(twiers) faithful to the one true "household",Speak as if they are god almighty,and he/she god must move over and do what the twier wants.

Last time I checked we have this treasure in earthen vessels,I of mine own self can do nothing,but god that worketh in me.

I had to show up at this girl's house to pick her up.

Good grief, I was pushed to do that crap starting in the late 90s. It's as if some honcho at HQ said "We'll have them go pick them up." Most times people would give an emphatic "no, they can make it there on their own." Of course after that sort of pressure many prospects ran the other way. The pressure to pick people up was worse when someone had made the mistake of signing up for a class. Oh well, so much for auxano growth (growth from within without compulsion).

Last time I checked we have this treasure in earthen vessels,I of mine own self can do nothing,but god that worketh in me.

Yep, but not to the way international. To them speaking the word is some sort of magical power release that causes devil spirits physical pain. (I know spiritual beings feeling physical pain...interesting eh?) Not only so but witnessing also drops crime rates, heals the sick, and many other magical things. All from the person just speaking. Note the total lack of emphasis on God's power and the workings of Jesus Christ. It's all about the person talking and releasing that inner power by speaking the word. It's just creepy. Don't even get me started on worship of self that this promotes.

Edited by OldSkool