GreaseSpot Cafe

The Masterful Art of the Power-Grab

skyrider

Good luck.

Martindale kicked a lot of people out, every month, every year, every decade he had the kicker for it. Different day, different reason. I'm sure you'll find one.

"That Rosie chick" didn't need the auditorium or the productions to "make a move"....given enough time and rope he was going to fail, he was a shallow chatter box who thought he thought the thoughts of God every time his scalp itched and he never met a thought he wouldn't happily share with his adoring audience of feckless followers. It was the Perfect Match. Until he met a bigger bully and once confronted by his own reflection in the form of Geer he clearly experienced what many others already had - and it was scarey enough to send him running for the bedroom to pull the covers over his eyes and hope it would go away. Unfortunately for all, it didn't.

I don't dislike the guy, he was a pretty nice guy at one time. Just callin' it like I saws it.

All that "Rosie Chick" had to do was stay present and accounted for. She too is protecting her interests and tryin' to keep it close to home.

Her day of reckoning has already come and gone and those closest to the heat at the Way Nash know it's mostly smoke now. Trust me - they do. And they don't care. They're not sitting around thinking about what they can do to help the world or what great things might be done with their lives, they're just getting by.

Groucho, on that particular topic - gosh. You took me back - another couple and we drove up for one of the AOS shows the first week they ran it, rented a car for the trip and made it a kind of get away weekend. Went up, got rooms, spent the night. There were people that knew we were coming. I wasn't expecting a reception but I expected to be welcomed by old friends and see the New Place.

It was a s--thole for want of a better word. Let's stop being nice about it. :biglaugh:::biglaugh: (as if)

Oh it was clean enough but it had that cheesey put-on feel that said home grown. People had given money, raised money, sent money, shared money - I mean there was a gravy train of buck biscuits going up there for a good year before it finally got moving. Then we get up there and we're still trudging all over the place to get inside the entrance, and many poor souls marching all over the property further than we did. It felt - old, already. And the production was - well, we know what that was, that horse is so dead the flies won't even lay up for a rest stop on it anymore. It was like a five pound hammer trying to knock a marshmallow into a cricket's mouth.

We visited for awhile aftterwards and found the whole place to be kind of dark and dingy feeling, as you say. And best of all - after all the years I'd worked in Way Productions - it was like I was expected to ooh and ahh at the privilege to see the backstage, which was a complete mess and looked far more half baked than I would have expected. I was underwhelmed to say the least. As usual though I could see the technical people were on it and working their but ts off.

We left that night so we'd get back Monday mid-morning. So we're driving along, kinda chatting and then after an hour or so, we got to talking about the production and it took a couple minutes of yeah this was nice and that was good and then finally one of us (don't remember who of the four) finally said it - "It didn't seem right, something about it...." and we spent the next couple hours driving along in the early wee hours of the morning going over the whole thing.

We were all honest about it. It simply didn't really leave the viewer with an elevated, glorified view of Christ and our relationship together in the "body of Christ". He wasn't "absent" but He wasn't present either. He was just sort of talked about. Certainly it's a difficult concept to illustrate on a stage but the opportunity was completely missed. I realized what a sophomoric level of understanding AOS depicted.

The idea of putting all the emphasis on the people and the "man of God" as empowered with the "9 manifestations" didn't have enough context and content to balance it all out. I called a friend at Wayfer Central the next week and mentioned a couple things, wondering if there was any plan to revisit the content and direction of the production and the answer was nope - it was pretty much a done deal but there were others who had had similar thoughts on it too.

Makes me sound like a real pug - "what would you have done different, O Genius?"..........not being an architect I don't know but it would have been better than that, I guarantee.

It represented perfectly the gnarly back stabbing dark hole that The Way Nash had become, so on that count it was perfect.

Old fish wrapped in old newspaper and left out in the sun I know but there it is - sits like duck.

”From the least to the greatest, all are greedy for gain; prophets and priests alike, all practice deceit. They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. 'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace. Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when I punish them," says the LORD.

Jeremiah 6:13-15

I heard a story one time where that pfal class use to be one class, and then it was broken up into three class's, is their any truth to that, by breaking that one class up, power grabbing control of people by division of class. .

At one time, PFAL was 13 sessions. The 13th session was optional and concerned itself with "speaking in tongues with interpretation" and "prophesy". This session was later removed and replaced with the Intermediate Class, which covered the same basic materials in an expanded form. (ie: excellor sessions) Also included in the 13th session was a teaching on "The Unforgivable Sin", which is a subject that is addressed in the Advanced Class. As far as I know, the other materials covered in the Advanced Class were never part of the basic PFAL format.

Never made it inside that auditorium myself. The one time I tried to, I was denied access. It was at ROA 85.

I'd made no donations for the building thereof, and I was leaving twi then anyway, so it was no skin off of my nose.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a "whited sepulcher". Clean looking on the outside, but inside - - - ??? blink.gif

I didn't see AOS until 2 or 3 years later, when JAL was wandering around the country and showed it here in Minney-soda.

He was on one of his trips promoting the (then somewhat new) CES. I'd been invited to a "public ex" he was doing there.

He showed up at a River Road Fellowship (hosted by Vic Barnard), and played the video for those in attendance.

I remember thinking (about AOS once I'd seen and heard it) - - - "What a dark/ dark/ DARK presentation this is"!

I hated the subject matter/ I hated the music/ the overall feeling (once done) was completely depressing.

And the prez of twi had the "leading role" in that production. How fitting. wacko.gif

I remember some time in 1986 or '87, when many of the leaders who had been kicked out of TWI were going around the country and talking to whoever would listen, somebody ran the video of AOS, using the pause and rewind buttons, asking "What did it just say?" "What does that mean?", and pointing out what was going on visually at the same time. Nearly the very first words, and nearly the very last, were "We are PROUD!" The actions on the stage often contradicted the words of the narration.

The flesh color of the Seed-of-the Serpent's costume was supposed to represent the truth that the SotS was still a living human being. When the spirits killed the girlfriend of the guy who would become Rainbow Man, there was a video special effect that represented murder. Later on, as Rainbow Man was developing his superpowers, there was a special gesture he made that was supposed to represent receiving revelation from the True God.

At the high point of the production, when Rainbow Man is standing at the top of the set holding the unconscious SotS in his arms, he reaches up making the special revelation gesture, then brings the elbow of the same arm down on the SotS' head. He then drops the limp SotS to the ground, and the video reprises the special effect indicating murder.

So.... the highpoint of AtoS, at least on the video, was the Man of God receiving revelation from the True God to murder a helpless human being!

I have repented before the Lord Jesus Christ for my involvement with The Way International.

Love,

Steve

I remember some time in 1986 or '87, when many of the leaders who had been kicked out of TWI were going around the country and talking to whoever would listen, somebody ran the video of AOS, using the pause and rewind buttons, asking "What did it just say?" "What does that mean?", and pointing out what was going on visually at the same time. Nearly the very first words, and nearly the very last, were "We are PROUD!" The actions on the stage often contradicted the words of the narration.

The flesh color of the Seed-of-the Serpent's costume was supposed to represent the truth that the SotS was still a living human being. When the spirits killed the girlfriend of the guy who would become Rainbow Man, there was a video special effect that represented murder. Later on, as Rainbow Man was developing his superpowers, there was a special gesture he made that was supposed to represent receiving revelation from the True God.

At the high point of the production, when Rainbow Man is standing at the top of the set holding the unconscious SotS in his arms, he reaches up making the special revelation gesture, then brings the elbow of the same arm down on the SotS' head. He then drops the limp SotS to the ground, and the video reprises the special effect indicating murder.

So.... the highpoint of AtoS, at least on the video, was the Man of God receiving revelation from the True God to murder a helpless human being!

I have repented before the Lord Jesus Christ for my involvement with The Way International.

Love,

Steve

Of course, the "knockout blow" preceding the murder was Rainbow Man using HEALING on the SotS,

which knocked them out. The obvious response to this being silly is that you can't look too

closely at this sort of thing- which completely negates the entire production, since the

entire thing is based on the claim that you CAN split hairs on this visually and make a

production where every gesture has a specific meaning.

I heard a story one time where that pfal class use to be one class, and then it was broken up into three class's, is their any truth to that, by breaking that one class up, power grabbing control of people by division of class. .

At one time, PFAL was 13 sessions. The 13th session was optional and concerned itself with "speaking in tongues with interpretation" and "prophesy". This session was later removed and replaced with the Intermediate Class, which covered the same basic materials in an expanded form. (ie: excellor sessions) Also included in the 13th session was a teaching on "The Unforgivable Sin", which is a subject that is addressed in the Advanced Class. As far as I know, the other materials covered in the Advanced Class were never part of the basic PFAL format.

You have to go back a bit further.

As documented in the thread "the way:living in wonderland"

(I bumped it up before to make it easier for you to find),

in 1953, vpw read about BG Leonard and his classes. He found out that a

class was currently IN PROGRESS, went there, and bulled his way in,

demanding to be allowed to take the class in progress.

Leonard permitted it. A few months later, vpw took his class again

"as a grad" and brought a few twi people with him.

A few months after THAT (still in 1953), vpw went to Leonard, and

asked for permission to run Leonard's class locally one time for the

benefit of the locals. Leonard permitted it. vpw ran a class,

and sent Leonard a class photo for his scrapbook.

When vpw ran that class, he told Leonard he was running Leonard's

class one time only. He told the students "this is MY class on

"Receiving The Holy Spirit Today" and made no mention of anyone else.

He taught Leonard's material entirely- the students that came with

him to Leonard's class, he automatically considered them grads of

"his" class whether or not they sat through "his" class.

vpw then continued to run Leonard's class and called it his own.

Shortly after that, he completed taking apart JE Stiles' book on

the Holy Spirit, and reconstructed it as the "white book"

(Receiving the Holy Spirit Today.) It was Stiles book with some

cosmetic changes in its first edition.

As time passed, vpw took material from Bullinger, and added it to

both the book and the class. What resulted was the Power for

Abundant Living class- an amalgam of Leonard, Stiles and Bullinger.

As more material was added (with a few other authors here and there

with small additions), the one class became expanded eventually into

three classes. Some of Leonard's stuff was in each level.

Edited by WordWolf

Thanks WordWolf, for all the work you put into that thread, what an eye opener, thanks.

When did this Mark and Avoid thing start being use as a power grab, it just seems the way

has mastered the art of it?

vpw used it surgically from the get-go. That's why 2 different Corps groups

(the first, aka "Zero" Corps and another) were kicked out.

The other group was permitted to humbly approach vpw and beg to be reinstated as a Corps class

so long as they were willing to write out an oath of allegiance to vpw himself.

(It's documented in "vp and me in wonderland.")

vpw used it here and there down the years. Basically, anyone who ran the risk of causing him

problems was kicked out, sent on a slow bus, and their home area was blanketed with a smear

campaign so that, when they got home, nobody would believe anything they said.

When 1988-1989 rolled around, lcm tried it on a grand scale, where anyone who wouldn't

swear an oath of allegiance to lcm himself (as he agreed, a promise to "follow him BLINDLY")

would be kicked out and nasty rumors spread around them. Since he was stupid enough to do it

to so many people at once, the process wasn't anything nearly as successful as he hoped.

Locals who'd worked with their local leaders and KNEW them would not accept the word of a

virtual STRANGER who said they were "corrupt".

twi's continued to use it as a measure, but until about 1993-1994 they kept it in reserve.

They had to adjust to most of the people leaving in 1989-1990.

That is mind-binding stuff their, WordWolf; have you heard of those sunday night teachings by VeePee for sale,

I thought about buying one, but after listening to the Forth of July teaching awhile back, their was just something about

that teaching I couldn't put my finger on. VeePee power grabbed someone else's work on the Forth of July, and

put on a show, that teaching VeePee gave sounded like a show. It seems all those sunday night teaching tapes

were about the way, with some kind a teaching stuck in there, who was behind the recording of those Masterful

Art of the sunday promote the way teaching tapes, was there more to it?

Edited by teachmevp

That is mind-binding stuff their, WordWolf; have you heard of those sunday night teachings by VeePee for sale,

I thought about buying one, but after listening to the Forth of July teaching awhile back, their was just something about

that teaching I couldn't put my finger on. VeePee power grabbed someone else's work on the Forth of July, and

put on a show, that teaching VeePee gave sounded like a show. It seems all those sunday night teaching tapes

were about the way, with some kind a teaching stuck in there, who was behind the recording of those Masterful

Art of the sunday promote the way teaching tapes, was there more to it?

I've got a (pretty much) complete set of SNS tapes, from 1975 to 1986 (thereabouts).

EVERY SNS tape promoted twi, and it's "superiority" when it came to "biblical teaching".

It was NOT unusual for twi to denigrate others, to gain their own "superiority" regardless of topic.

I used to have the address of a person from (location will be left unmentioned) who has all of vpw's teachings on CD.

All of them, from SNS tapes. If I recollect the price was around 80 bucks. I was offered the chance to buy them.

I declined. Nuggets of truth there (to be sure), but not enough "nuggets" to make it worthwhile.

And - - - all those "nuggets" came from someone/ somewhere else. I don't support (any more) plagiaristic "teachers". nono5.gifsmile.gif

I learned a lot of little nuggets, learning about all this plagiarism the way has pull off throughout the years is trippe stuff.

I read somewhere, where those CD were put on public domine, did VeePee do that deliberate, or did VeePee rip himself off.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think that "research means you search again" and

"we search again what twi's already done"

were new to the 1990s.

People who left in 1989 were hearing that from corps grads

into the 1990s.

(Yes, I was hearing that-at least the second quote, not the first.

Others heard the first.)

The fact sheet "For Those Who Want to Know" published in about 1979 pretty much states this, too.

"Part of research is not to find something new in the Word, but to establish in your own heart the inherent and inerrant accuracy of the truths of God's Word for yourself."

That statement assumes several things that VPW never proved to begin with. The first being that the whole Bible (he calls God's Word) is inerrant (without error). In my view, the statement really says "study VP's teachings over and over and don't try to do your own research."

• 3 months later...