GreaseSpot Cafe

Bad Taste in Advertising

Broken Arrow

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh:

What the hell?--were they hammered on the margaritas, followed with several shots of tequila when they came up with that one?

I cant see any sober person ever thinking that was worth anything....

Warning: stay away from the bar in the mexican restaurant when making up phrases for bill boards, its not so good in the morning

Clearly they thought it was funny

More like they didn't think their marketing through.

Like, sometime back, the was the Chevy Nova. Now somebody is supposed to check what product name means in every language, so no one will be offended or they get a weird mixing of words.

Apparently, they missed Nova. My ex-fiancee told me in Puerto Rico the car was a joke. You see in Spanish Nova (no va) means "No Go."

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Clearly they thought it was funny

I thought it was kinda funny (What can I say? I involuntarily chuckled..sorry), but definitely in bad taste -- and probably not a very effective marketing tool in the long run, I imagine. I could see where it would hurt or otherwise bother many people.

I thought it was kinda funny (What can I say? I involuntarily chuckled..sorry), but definitely in bad taste -- and probably not a very effective marketing tool in the long run, I imagine. I could see where it would hurt or otherwise bother many people.

Are you old enough to remember when the incident happened in 1978? Just curious.

"There's no such thing as bad publicity!"

Got 'em noticed.

But I don't know that I'd want to drink anything there (shudder).

Sorry, BA. I thought everyone around here knew that I was never in TWI. That's probably why I was able to chuckle at that billboard.

This wasn't TWI, this was a group called the "People's Temple" out of California. In 1978 their leader, Jim Jones, led many of the group to Guyana in South America and started a settlement called Jonestown. Congressman Leo Ryan along with his aides as well as journalists visited Jonestown to investigate human rights allegations. As Ryan's plane was leaving with some who wanted to leave Jonestown, some of Jones' followers both inside and outside the plane opened fire. Ryan and 4 others were killed.

Shortly thereafter, Jim Jones gathered his followers in Jonestown where he convinced the assembly of 918 to commit suicide using Flavor-aid and a mixture of deadly chemicals. Of the 918 deaths, 276 were children. This is considered the single largest loss of non-military American life prior to 9/11. It was a very very tragic and horrifying event. This was a major story in 1978; not one of interest only to groups like TWI. Not many even outside of TWI got a laugh out of this. It shows the power one man can wield over people. If you're interested in more information, you can check out this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown.

There was also an award-winning documentary done on this in 2006.

Wierwille used this to advance his conspiracy theory which, by the way, was the exact same thing Jones was doing with his people. In any event, during Advanced Class '79, he had someone who was in the U.S. Army and a PFAL grad talk about the transport planes that were sent from the U.S. to retrieve the bodies of the victims. According to this person, the planes were full of military equipment the U.S. was sending to the Guyanese government. The equipment was unloaded as the bodies were loaded. Thus, the whole thing was a ruse, or a front for justifying a large airlift of military supplies from the U.S. to Guyana.

Yeah, I remember the Jonestown incident. I was very disturbed by the whole thing.

But back to the OP for a moment -- because I just realized something...

(Now this is really funny...) The restaurant advertised in the billboard (La Hacienda in South Bend) is a favorite of my ex-Way friend, no joke. She lives in the area and is a member of a TWI offshoot. (So she still "drinks the Kool-Aid", get it? ha ha! The irony.)

I wonder if she's seen it and what she thought. She's told me in the past that she's "embarrased" at having been in a cult.

Anyway...this would all be funny only to me, I suppose. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

The phrase 'drink the koolaid' came from that. I remember at ROA 1979 VP said that if the US govt paid to have those bodies brought back to the US, then they certainly must've paid to have them shipped down there, too. That was on the last night of that year's ROA; he also said that the FBI was there and that they didn't have to sneak in, he would have sold them a ticket. "They think we got guns! Go ahead, tear up all 147 acres of this place if you want. If you have God, then you don't need guns!"

The adversary definitely used that event to start a witch hunt against "cults", IMO.

"They think we got guns! Go ahead, tear up all 147 acres of this place if you want. If you have God, then you don't need guns!"

(Boldface added by me)

Lets see if you have God you don't need guns?

If you have God you don't need guns

Saint Vic's Bodyguards had guns

Therefore Saint Vic didn't have God.

Or If A then not-B

B

Therefore not-A

Where Saint Vic stood, in his own words and with a little logic.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Wierwille claimed there were FBI agents on grounds, but were there really? We don't know.

Wierwille claimed (in CF&S) that God showed him what the original sin was but he couldn't substantiate it with scripture.

"You'll just have to take my word on this."

quote: Wierwille claimed there were FBI agents on grounds, but were there realy? We don't know.

There were. They were watching us at least since pfal '77, which happened before Jonestown. They watched us at LEAD HQ. They did think we were going to start attacking places with guns. I guess we weren't that kind of cult. Beliefs are one thing; terrorism is quite another.

quote: Wierwille claimed there were FBI agents on grounds, but were there realy? We don't know.

There were. They were watching us at least since pfal '77, which happened before Jonestown. They watched us at LEAD HQ. They did think we were going to start attacking places with guns. I guess we weren't that kind of cult. Beliefs are one thing; terrorism is quite another.

and you know this------how?

I agree with, Waysider, just how do you know this?

Rather than being on site, the FBI usually uses paid informants (Source)(Source)

So if it were an informant, it be unlikely they'd tell you. If they were undercover, it be unlikely they'd do anything to draw attenton to themselves.

If they were looking for illegal firearms, they're not going to roll up to the front gate and flash their badges.

So where did the info come from.

I'll take Saint Vic's paranoia for $500, Alex.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates