GreaseSpot Cafe

"The integrity of the word is always at stake."

waysider

Something else to consider:

The same guy who said, "The integrity of 'the word' is always at stake!" also said "It's still 'the word', even if NOBODY believes it!"

How does one reconcile those two statements?

If something retains its integrity, it remains intact.

If it can remain intact, even when no one believes it, how can its integrity be in jeopardy?

Two fine examples of how our minds were manipulated, IMO.

"The integrity of 'the word' is always at stake!" A trusting, unquestioning mind hears that and says to itself, "Oh my, how awful! We can't have that! We must defend God's integrity! Man battle stations!!"

"It's still 'the word', even if NOBODY believes it!" The same trusting, unquestioning mind hears that and says to itself, "Oh my, we can't have that! I love God sooo much, I want to believe! I'm with you, tell me more!!"

Today, anytime I listen to a public speaker stand before a microphone and scream, I'm suspicious. The microphone is there to record and amplify the voice, there is no need to scream. In my memories of hearing these two statements, spoken either in person or on tape, he was always screaming, which made me feel like I must be stupid because I wasn't understanding or agreeing with him fast enough.

The statements themselves, as far as they go, are fine. Except they don't go very far. They do not instruct. They are brickbats, hurled at us to further injure our critical thinking skills, hurry our slow and stupid selves along, and keep us in line.

Edited by OperaBuff
  • Upvote 1

say hey waysider!! that sure looks like a Ruth's Chris filet with their terrific asparagus and maybe some taters. am i close?? if so, maybe you, me, and the twinks, the ham--ster, soul searcher, jerry the barrax, the opera buff, steve L, frankie123ol, and the cman can meet at one of Ruth's Chris many locations someday, enjoy your exquisite dinner selection together while we discuss what's at steak, and raise a glass of wine or two in a toast to the unbelievably comical johnwhois.....................not going to be there with us??!!!...........hehehe..............it would sure be fun enjoying a peace of that steak!........................piece.

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy

say hey waysider!! that sure looks like a Ruth's Chris filet with their terrific asparagus and maybe some taters. am i close?? if so, maybe you, me, and the twinks, the ham--ster, soul searcher, jerry the barrax, the opera buff, steve L, frankie123ol, and the cman can meet at one of Ruth's Chris many locations someday...

There's one right here at the Roosevelt Field Mall in Garden City, NY. If any of you are ever in town, give me a holler. :B)

My mouth's watering already.

Good to see ya, DWBH.

Are you sure that was "peace" you were talking about ... not ... peas ... with that steak?

Peas Peace :)

quote: not going to be there with us??!!!...........

I eat only good books...over!

Never heard of that place. Turns out there's 2 of them in STL, one just a few blocks from the arch. Looks kinda pricy though.

Edited by johniam