GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

I suppose that POWs in a Nazi war camp is not the most likely idea for a comedy.

I'm a member of a (traditionally) Jewish fraternity, ZBT.  About 45 years ago I got a letter from Robert Clary exhorting Jewish people not to make light of the Holocaust.  That seemed odd to me, since his and (to that point, anyway) Dawson's claim to fame was acting in a show making light of Nazi horrors.  Of course, it's not as if I haven't done things that I've been ashamed of, afterwards.

George

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Hogan's Heroes?

I know that Richard Dawson and Robert Clary are Jewish.  I don't know about Werner Klemperer, but he would have been old enough to have been alive during WWII.

George

IIRC, he's also Jewish. 

BTW, if you sit down to watch the show and know that some Germans weren't really keen on Nazism, but wanted to keep their jobs and keep their heads down, this show makes a LOT more sense.  Klink and Schultze definitely wanted to get back to civilian life in one piece.  They were not concerned with how effective their prison was- they were vitally concerned their prison have no actionable complaints against it.   If Hogan successfully covered all his tracks and never left the prison looking suspicious, they didn't care WHAT he did- their jobs and necks were safe.

This was the first NBC show to air five days a week.  It was also the first show ever to air 1000 episodes.

One of the main roles was performed by a few different actors.  One, when fired from the show for the SECOND time, went on to star in another show (for which he is arguably better known).

George

This was the first NBC show to air five days a week.  It was also the first show ever to air 1000 episodes.

One of the main roles was performed by a few different actors.  One, when fired from the show for the SECOND time, went on to star in another show (for which he is arguably better known).

That role was mute.  The only words spoken were at the end of the last episode:  "Goodbye, kids."

George

Here's 2 shows. The latter is the ridiculously-difficult show.

A) No matter what anyone says,  there were never any plans to have the 7 main characters of this show represent the 7 deadly sins.

B) The show I just mentioned inspired a one-season show back when the Fox network was new. This show was supposedly post-World War III, and was a sitcom.

(A) is clearly Gilligan's Island.

Not getting the other one.  I remember a "Dusty's Trail" which was a western trail ride version of GI, even starring Bob Denver as Dusty.  Not post-apocalyptic, though.

With the exception of The Simpsons and Married with Children, though, pretty much EVERY early FOX show was a short-lived sitcom.

George

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

(A) is clearly Gilligan's Island.

Not getting the other one.  I remember a "Dusty's Trail" which was a western trail ride version of GI, even starring Bob Denver as Dusty.  Not post-apocalyptic, though.

With the exception of The Simpsons and Married with Children, though, pretty much EVERY early FOX show was a short-lived sitcom.

George

*A*  IS "Gilligan's Island.

Decades later, people began speculating, which is why there's room for disagreement.

The placements usually go...

Greed is Mr Howell, Lust is Ginger, Pride is the Professor.

Then we get Mrs Howell for Sloth, and Envy for Mary Ann.

As for the last 2....  The Skipper gets Wrath for always swatting Gilligan with his hat. Sometimes Gilligan gets Gluttony for his appetite, sometimes The Skipper is Wrath AND Gluttony because he's fat.  In those instances, people say Gilligan wasn't a sin, they say Gilligan and his red shirt are the Devil, and that's why he always keeps them on the island.

Early Fox and the early WB went through a LOT of television shows that lasted 1 season or less.  Some might have worked, but they abandoned everything pretty quickly. 

Among Fox's early offerings was "Woops!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woops!

A random handful of people survived World War 3 and found a farm, and try to re-establish civilization all over again.  My favorite was Frederick Ross, who was a PATHOLOGIST no matter what people say now. He even said he claimed to miss the carve-the-person aspect of pathology in at least 1 episode.

As I mentioned above, most of FOX's early programming was short-lived comedies.  Name one of these to win the round.

1. A teenager is recruited to work for a US spy organization.  He has to keep it secret from his mother, because (for some reason) her life would be endangered because of the knowledge.  Miss Universe Shawn Weatherly appears as herself in an episode.
  2. A magazine research assistant's thoughts are portrayed by several actors.  (Sort of like the STNG episode "Loud as a Whisper").
  3. George C. Scott's first (and, AFAIK, only) television show.
  4.  Centered on the romance of a novelist (Matthew Laurance) and a caterer (Mary Page Keller), but gradually the focus shifted to their yuppie friends (Chris Lemmon, Alison LaPlaca) and the show was rebranded as Open House.
  5. Basically "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" as a sitcom.

George

"Parker Lewis Can't Lose" (later known as "Parker Lewis") was pretty funny, and it was largely self-referential humor.  A number of times we saw Parker and his friends planning. "Synchronize Swatches!" *everybody brings their wrists in with watches showing and a swoosh sound*   One episode, we saw their Dads planning.  "Synchronize Bulovas!" *same action, same sound effect, different watches*

I thought the best joke was an in-house ad for the show that had the cast dancing around to music, until one interrupted, shouted that this wasn't 90210, and to get on with their business (or whatever.)  As the cast dispersed, Luke Perry (90210) was easily spotted in the group leaving, complete with being given a dirty look, and him looking exasperated as he walked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Samuel L. Jackson once showed up on the set of this series in character as Nick Fury. He wanted a cameo as a fast food restaurant patron. The scene likely would have been set during the events of Thor, though that's not 100 percent certain. In any event, even joking that this series was a part of the MCU was a non-starter. Jackson/Fury did not get the cameo.

Let's see.   Setting between Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 (IM2 ends with Thor's hammer as a teaser.)   It was a JOKE that it was part of the MCU, so it wasn't an MCU show- which makes sense because MAoS was the only one I remember for then and Fury would be conspicuous there. 

If I wanted a cameo as a fast food restaurant patron, I'd expect the show either had a fast food restaurant as a regular setting and set, or have something like SNL where they set up anything whenever they feel like it.    It was a TV show, not a movie. 

This show either had to be run by geeks, or by people with a fantastic sense of humor, otherwise, why think they'd slip Nick Fury into a background?

So, based on all that, I'm going with "THE BIG BANG THEORY."  We have the rough time-frame, we have geeks, we have comedy, AND multiple sets with places to eat (primarily The Cheesecake Factory, but sometimes a Chinese restaurant or somewhere else.)

Ok, great thinking. Correcting a misconception: the producers did not seriously consider the cameo. Samuel L. Jackson asked for it and got turned down. Joking that the show was part of the MCU was a non-starter. That was NOT a hint about the genre of the show. 

This is one of the best examples I've ever given you of a subtle but MAJOR hint hiding in plain site.

So was that.