GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

This original late 60's television series was based on a film of the same name and starred up and coming actor Ron Howard. Happy Days stars Pat Morita and Erin Morin made appearances and like many sitcoms of the era it was also visited by many movie stars, Suzanne Pleshette and Tippi Hedren, Sammy Davis Jr. and TV actors like Yvonne Craig, George Takei and Jerry Stiller as well as future stars like Jodi Foster and Sally Struthers. The sitcom had an iconic theme song as well.

This original late 60's television series was based on a film of the same name and starred up and coming actor Ron Howard. Happy Days stars Pat Morita and Erin Morin made appearances and like many sitcoms of the era it was also visited by many movie stars, Suzanne Pleshette and Tippi Hedren, Sammy Davis Jr. and TV actors like Yvonne Craig, George Takei and Jerry Stiller as well as future stars like Jodi Foster and Sally Struthers. The sitcom had an iconic theme song as well.

I just want to clarify something. It reads as though I'm saying Ron Howard was in the sitcom. He was not. He was in the film upon which the sitcom was based.

I don't remember any of the guest stars you mentioned, but could it be

"The Courtship of Eddie's Father"?

George

Yes, it could. I think I remember some of the stars. Maybe iconic doesn't describe the theme song to well. Just catchy I guess. Gets in your head like Gilligan's Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Jose Feliciano was asked to write the theme song for this show. Fearing it wouldn't be accepted, he wrote two. Both were used, one at the beginning of the show, and one at the end.

After one of the stars committed suicide, his disappearance was explained as his having moved on to help his father. His replacement never caught on with the fans, and the show was cancelled soon after.

George

Jose Feliciano was asked to write the theme song for this show. Fearing it wouldn't be accepted, he wrote two. Both were used, one at the beginning of the show, and one at the end.

After one of the stars committed suicide, his disappearance was explained as his having moved on to help his father. His replacement never caught on with the fans, and the show was cancelled soon after.

George

"Chico was born in El Barrio. Spent much of his time in the streets. His mind hungry for knowledge, his belly

for something to eat. Times are tough. Chico and the Man."

A later episode explained that Chico DIED, but the original explanation given

was his moving back to Mexico- with Ed Brown apparently using that answer so

he wouldn't have to deal with Chico's death.

"Chico was born in El Barrio. Spent much of his time in the streets. His mind hungry for knowledge, his belly

for something to eat. Times are tough. Chico and the Man."

A later episode explained that Chico DIED, but the original explanation given

was his moving back to Mexico- with Ed Brown apparently using that answer so

he wouldn't have to deal with Chico's death.

"Chico and the Man" is correct (of course).

George

It's game show time.

Identify any game show to take the round.

A) Got in a taxi and suddenly became the contestant on a trivia quiz game-show?

I know what show you're on.....

B) Fell behind on your car payments, and you now have a chance to play for your car

to be paid off rather than taken away?

I know what show you're on...

C) You're in a studio audience, wearing a gorilla costume. If you have a deck of cards,

the host will suddenly pay you cash for it. There's only one show you could be on....

It's game show time.

Identify any game show to take the round.

A) Got in a taxi and suddenly became the contestant on a trivia quiz game-show?

I know what show you're on.....

B) Fell behind on your car payments, and you now have a chance to play for your car

to be paid off rather than taken away?

I know what show you're on...

C) You're in a studio audience, wearing a gorilla costume. If you have a deck of cards,

the host will suddenly pay you cash for it. There's only one show you could be on....

Well obviously, to me, A. is Cash Cab. Not sure of B. But C. is of course, the cash cow with Wayne Brady "Let's Make A Deal". I'll wait a little while but I may just go ahead and bore you guys in the next round with some trivia for the next clue.

Well obviously, to me, A. is Cash Cab. Not sure of B. But C. is of course, the cash cow with Wayne Brady "Let's Make A Deal". I'll wait a little while but I may just go ahead and bore you guys in the next round with some trivia for the next clue.

A was definitely "Cash Cab" in either version (NYC, Chicago.)

B was "Repo Games." If your car was up for repo, they would show up, grab the car,

then tell you that you had the chance to play. They ask 5 questions. Answer 3 correctly

out of 5 (or less than 5 if you answer well and get the first few right),

and they put the car down, pay off the past-due, and pay off the entire remainder-

you now own the car free and clear. If you miss 3, or refuse to play, they just

drive off with the car.

C was definitely "Let's Make a Deal" with any of the hosts.

Your turn.

This TV show was one of only a handful of shows to start in syndication, and then be picked up by a major television network. George Burns paid $70,000 for the original pilot, a lot of money [I think] for the time. The shows credits listed the title character as being only played by "Himself". Whenever, "Himself" would get tired of shooting he would walk off the set. After all, he was the star of the show.

"The Jimmy Dean Show"?

George

No. This was a family show just not "that kind" of a family show. A regular situation comedy.

Long after the show had ceased production but still being seen in syndication a fundamentalist religious group in Ohio claimed that the show's famous theme song was "satanic".

I got this from the IMDB page.